Hey Utah weather geeks...

I was over at the National Weather Service for a meeting today, and found out two pretty cool things.

1: A recent re-analysis of snowfall in Salt Lake City shows we average a 14:1 snow to water ratio, rather than the 10:1 numbers that are often tossed around. In other words, the snow is a bit drier than previously thought, in the big picture.

2: We've talked about the "prototype digital forecast" on here a few times that's available on the NWS web page. Maggots are known to get excited when the 24 hour snow totals that show up there, add up to huge numbers, and I'm left to say "not so fast", don't trust those things - they're not right.

For instance, with a heavy snow warning on the way, and 10" to 15" in the forecast, the web page would show something like 25".

Well, two weeks ago the programmer over there figured out the problem; since the digital model looks at snow in 6 hour blocks, it doesn't "see" what's in the previous or past block, when figuring out the current one. Changes are being made now that should make the snowfall numbers there more accurate than they have been in the past.

That is all.
    Last edited by Red Baron; 11-09-2005 at 06:29 PM.

Quit making excuses that it ain't snowing yet!!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Oh Buzz, thanks for reminding me...we also all sat around moaning about the lack of snow and cold air, and the fact that every one of us blew the forecast for yesterday....

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron

For instance, with a heavy snow warning on the way, and 10" to 15" in the forecast, the web page would show something like 25".

This is one instance where the lie should become the truth
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

I skied an impressive 0.5" of new at 10.5k today. It was epic blower, brah.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    Oh Buzz, thanks for reminding me...we also all sat around moaning about the lack of snow and cold air, and the fact that every one of us blew the forecast for yesterday....
    Hah! I watched (anchorman) Dick Norse(sp?) give (weatherman) Mark Eubanks shit about missing the forecast on last nights news...TWICE!

Don't worry RB, I saw your forecast too. I especially liked your line, "there's no snow in the long range forecast...and believe me I'm looking for some!" or something to that affect.

Quote Originally Posted by str8line
    Hah! I watched (anchorman) Dick Norse(sp?) give (weatherman) Mark Eubanks shit about missing the forecast on last nights news...TWICE!

Don't worry RB, I saw your forecast too. I especially liked your line, "there's no snow in the long range forecast...and believe me I'm looking for some!" or something to that affect.
    Waht is this long range we speak of? Days? Months? Years?
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    I skied an impressive 0.5" of new at 10.5k today. It was epic blower, brah.
    You is nutz.
    Avoiding the real world since 1979

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Whats up with the guy on Ch 4 last night saying terrorists were behind our weather disasters lately?
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy
    Whats up with the guy on Ch 4 last night saying terrorists were behind our weather disasters lately?
    lots of acid in high school and college. What a whack job. They didn't say that he was a meteorologist just a TV weather guy. I got the impression that he was only the type that reads someone else's forecast on TV not the actual scientist who comes up with the forecast.

Thanks for the info RB.

quit being a party pooper

like Str8, i liked your forecast last night - you definitely tell you are a maggot first and a weather geek second
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

little did I know when i typed my previous sarcastic comment, which I deleted, that this would apply to me......so I'll eat some crow and ask for foregiveness

Red Baron....any chance they can change the measurement style to make our forecast correct too?

check it out

http://ifps.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/dwf...&Y=&siteID=SLC

thanks
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do