Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: avi # 2 baker

Damn...and I was studying for a midterm. Glad I have you two on my team most of the time I'm in the BC. Give me a call. I want to hear more.
    Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx
    So did you use your beacons to find him, or was the area small enough for probing alone?

WAY TO GO in doing the right thing without panicking- you probably saved his life.

And thanks for posting your story.

spinx. brad took charge and became leader of the group. we immediately had everybdoy turn their beacons to receive.

kind of crazy though the closest signal we got was 2m and thats because he was over 2m buried.

def going to practice more with deep burials

Holy . Nice Job. What kind of beacons did you have and were you well practiced with them? Were you calm and cool or were you freaking out? It seems like you guys were under control. Sorry to bug: but I hear when you hit a person with a probe you know it for sure. Did you know for sure that you'd hit the victim with your probe? Fucking great report and everyone is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
    Holy . Nice Job. What kind of beacons did you have and were you well practiced with them? Were you calm and cool or were you freaking out? It seems like you guys were under control. Sorry to bug: but I hear when you hit a person with a probe you know it for sure. Did you know for sure that you'd hit the victim with your probe? Fucking great report and everyone is ok.

yeah i'd never hit a person with a probe either. but you def know for sure when you hit them. it just kind of bounces off. hard to describe but you just know.

i think brad uses some sort of pieps and i use an ortovox m1. doesnt matter though what you use just got to know how to use it. luckiliy we practiced just enough to get this guy out.

so might as well list what we could of done better.

we were in control however,

in the heat of it we forgot to ask the friend of the guy who was buried who was freaking out where the last point he saw him was. as a result we ended up 10m below were we found him because thats were his friend was frantically digging.

while taking out our probes and turning our beacons to recieve we took off our backpacks. when we finally hit the guy with the probe we had to frantically run back to our packs to get our shovels.

while brad was digging the guy out iwth the guy's friends shovel i had to run back to get both our shovels. i had to find brads shovel. since his backpack is different than mine i didn't find the shovel that quickly.

lessons learned.

never take off your backpack
    always ask where the last point seen was
    know where your friends equipment is incase you need to get it for them

Quote Originally Posted by LaramieSkiBum
    8 FEET x 3 people = one lucky mother fucker....good reason to own a 300cm guide probe....How long did it take you to dig him out?!?! Must have had a hell of an air pocket - was he wearing a full face helmet or avylung or something? Or did the slide not setup and was heavy chunks with lots of pockets?

care to share some of them if your comfortable? what was the slope aspect and conditions?
    still a little shakin from the experience, but i can tell some more about, more will defiantly come after i think about it some more.

The victim hucked a cliff that knocked all the powder off and triggered the avi. so not only did he get covered when he landed by all the new snow, but his sluff covered him and the avi covered him! but the lucky thing is that it was only the new snow that slid (granted there was a lot of new snow). the terrain was a ravine, i'm pretty sure it was a stream bed/waterfall area.

I heard the victim say that he had a medium sized air pocket just in front of his mouth. He was about 8 feet down totally covered by new snow. When we got to the seen we think he was covered for about 5 min. By the time we were able to get his mouth free, it took us 10 min. So 15 min total. (time is all guestimation, if you asked me at the time i would say the whole event took 30 sec, and if you asked the victim he would say it took 30 min)

For searching, the victims friend was in no condition to help, so i had him put together his shovel, me an phil did the beacon search. I got my lowest reading and phil started probing and hit the victim (in the teeth, to which he later said "when i felt the probe hit my teeth...it was the best feeling in my life.") From there the digging went pretty fast because the snow wasn't set hard and it was pretty light, except for that it kept sluffing back into the hole.

well thats it for now, i need a tequila

brad

PM, did this happen going into the Canyon off backside of 6 & 1?

We took a lap into OI Chutes today (once) and the snow was shearing rather easy. Decided against any future laps and to keep it mellow.

Great Job and way to be heads up. With the huge crowd up there today and so much snow, I had a feeling something like this could easily happen.
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 11-08-2005 at 11:00 PM.

i use a peips dsp, and love it, have a 320 cm g3 probe and now definantly love it, have a old voile shovel that has a smaller blade and don't really love it

wow.....great job you guys. Powerful read....thanks for posting your story here for the rest of us to learn from.

Good work guys! Thanks for sharing.

many have said it, but i am sure it can't be said enough

Well done, way to act and save that guy as fast as you could. Amazing that you guys were in the right place at the right time and were able to help, having the correct tools at your disposal.

Your honest reflections will help a lot of us hear learn for future preparations for skills we hope never to have to use.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Nice work, guys. Nice work. Heroes for sure.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    PM, did this happen going into the Canyon off backside of 6 & 1?

We took a lap into OI Chutes today (once) and the snow was shearing rather easy. Decided against any future laps and to keep it mellow.

Great Job and way to be heads up. With the huge crowd up there today and so much snow, I had a feeling something like this could easily happen.
    Did I not post numerous warnings in the last week to stay out of the BC????

While the front country "elbo" was great skiing there was even numerous sings of stuff moving there. There was a lot of idiots in the BC with out any gear let alone a clue, so I am not supprised someone got caught in a slide.

Since you said that ti was off of chair 6. I am guessing it was somewhere over towards blueberry and the ten minute trees.

Please let us know where it actually occured.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

That sounds El Sketcho. Glad you guys were there to literally save the day.

I have mixed feelings about missing opening day, and the avy danger was one of the things that made me glad I wasn't there.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

nice work guys.
    btw. what was the avi danger at that day and what kind of slope was it (aspect, degrees..... i don't know baker so "behind chair 6" won't do for me , but i would be interested in general info. you do have daily avalanche service over there do you ?)
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague
    nice work guys.
    btw. what was the avi danger at that day and what kind of slope was it (aspect, degrees..... i don't know baker so "behind chair 6" won't do for me , but i would be interested in general info. you do have daily avalanche service over there do you ?)
    www.nwac.us is our local avy service.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by FollowMe
    Postman22 for Maggot of the Year! Brad too!
    I'm pretty sure these two are going to win that one. Way to go and keep your wits to save this guy's life! You guys definately DO NOT SUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by hop
    www.nwac.us is our local avy service.
    ah that's what i was looking for.
    i was a bit confused because someone posted earlier this season that the avalanche service's funding was endangered.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Thumbs up

Sobering read. Hats off to you two. Thanks for sharing your mistakes also. It is easy to see how these little things happen and then realize what the consequences can be.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Great work guys. I hope we have no other challengers for Maggots of the Year.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Kudos on your valant rescue. Sounds like the victim was blessed to have an air pocket and competant responders on scene.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

My eyes welled up just reading that. Nice job.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Goosebumps...head to toe.
    Ski like no one is watching!

Nice work, getting that guy out from 8' down. Gives me chills...............

You guys are true heroes.
    Old's Cool.

That is my worst nightmare - BOTH either being buried with the fear that if my companions fuck up I may die, or having to do a rescue and the fear that if I fuck up, someone may die. Good job guys, you went out prepared both with gear and with knowledge, and made a difference. Awesome.
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Way to be... that kicks ass. I'm humbled by your actions.