Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Who Has the Burliest Dynafit Setup?

Who here skis Dynafit Bindings on their BC setup and what ski/boot combo do you use? Are you happy with it?

Comforts.
    BD Havocs.
    Megarides.
    No frigging idea.
    Havent seen the skis yet.
    Neither the snow.
    10 days.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Not mine, but a friend skied 201 Asteroids with Dynafits like 4 years ago. This winter I hope to add Dynafit inserts in my rubbersoled Flexons. The problem with Dynafits on heavy skis is imo not the bindings but the boots. If I can fix that I'm definately putting some Dynafits on a pair of Big Daddies.
    self unemployed?

Presently
    Dynafit Freeride Carbon 10.0, 187s
    comforts
    Matrix

Previously
    havoc 183
    comforts
    matrix

tua nitrogen
    tlt
    laser

atomic tourcap guide
    tlt
    laser

mega ride w/ flexon tounge & liner

edit: sorry tlt's w/ fisher 84's

hated the boots and bindings. booted out constanly & a pain to get in and out of the tlt's. The boots had a really poor last & i did not care for the lack of rigidity in the back of the boot (all IMHO).
    Last edited by marshalolson; 11-01-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    mega ride w/ flexon tounge & liner
    what ski?

Voile Carbon Surfs 188
    Tri-Step(2nd gen)

Dynastar Bigs 190 (original Bigs)
    TLT

Atomic TM 11 Mountaincross 175
    TLT

BD Ascension skins reg purple and Glidelite

Scarpa Lasers(2nd pair, over 200 days on first pair-still good, giving to son)
    Intuition Liners and a set of original Raichle Thermoflex liners with over 400 days and still holding up. These were the best and warmest ever made.

and fuck yes, I`m going for 100+ bc days this season!

190 Lawn Chairs
    Comfort
    Raichle Concordia Tech 4S

Great soft snow setup, wish the skis were a little stiffer when conditions are variable.

mega rides with a denali xt tongue and scarpa liner

comforts

183 Havocs

i've been reasonably happy but im interested in the dynafit aero freeride and the dynafit freeride 10.0 in a 178, anyone with more input on these bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by pde20
    Who here skis Dynafit Bindings on their BC setup and what ski/boot combo do you use? Are you happy with it?

i'm seeing more people with them on fat skis lately, which they seem to handle fine. i think the key is to have a stiff ski, clean your contacts and lock the toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak
    Lange plug boots with Dynafit inserts cemented in
    Ni-ice!
    But which flex (i.e., ZB/ZB, ZB/ZC, ZC/ZC)?

quote "i've been reasonably happy but im interested in the dynafit aero freeride and the dynafit freeride 10.0 in a 178, anyone with more input on these bring it on!"

I'm on the dynafit freeride 10.0 in a 187 (197 lbs, 6' 2") and think it is one of the best all-around bc rigs. It has a slightly softer flex than the Havoc (very slightly) but with much stiffer torsional rigidity. It holds much better at the area while having similar performance off the piste.

Thanks for the feedback.

Much Dynafit disucssion around here combined with visits to boot shops leads me to the conclusion that I will mount my new Comforts on my Atomic R:exs and get some Mega Rides which will need some frankensteining of the tongue, if not a different liner.

Given potential difficulty of scoring Raichle tongues, has anyone fucked around with Dalbello tongues from their new flexon like boot, whatever it is called, the krypton? Wonder if you could sweet talk your way into getting them to sell you a set of krypton tongues, and wonder if they would insert as easily as the Raichles. Kryptons have a race stiff tongue and a "freeride" tongue that sounds like it would be ideal. The dalbello even looks similar to the Mega Ride

Compare w/ Meathelmets swap posted elsewhere here in tech talk:

Last edited by pde20; 11-02-2005 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pde20
    Dynafits on 182 Volkl G40s
    Dynafits on 188 Volkl G2s

Boots are a Dachstien touring boot with a Raichlie cuff modified to be a cheater. They are stiff and offer good forward lean. They ski great. They are my only boots as my skiis are my only skis. I ski anything and everything with them and never had a problem.
    Last edited by Beaver; 01-05-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

The Mega Rides are very comfy, good even flex, and fit a little higher the volume foot than the Dynafit Aeros. They are, however, a fair amount softer.
    I had one on each foot earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuaner
    The Mega Rides are very comfy, good even flex, and fit a little higher the volume foot than the Dynafit Aeros. They are, however, a fair amount softer.
    I had one on each foot earlier today.
    Argghh, there you go contradicting and causing self doubt again. I had one of those on each foot on sunday (well, actually a g-ride as they were out of mega rides in my size) and found the Aeros to be sorry little bitches in comparison. I think that with modification mega rides sound like the answer, for now.

Why do you think Dynafit does not allow Scarpa to use dynafit compatibility in the Denali? or does Scarpa choose not to use it for some retarded reason?

edit for redonkulous grammer above.
    Last edited by pde20; 11-02-2005 at 08:33 PM.

Mega Rides and G rides are different shells. Mega Rides are softer.

Scarpa and Garmont use Dynafit on some only some models due to licensing costs, currently about $65 us$ retail. That is why Lowa and some others don't do it at all.

pde20,

i`m selling some raichle`s w/stiff tongues. see under gear swap.

sanjuaner - so are you saying the aero fis narrower/lower volume than the mega-ride? i've gotten the other impression from other folks. do you think it was the shell or just differences in the liner or both? did the aero seem significantly heavier than the mega-ride?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuaner
    Mega Rides and G rides are different shells. Mega Rides are softer.
    This years models are supposed to be the same
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    This years models are supposed to be the same
    That is also what I was told and why I was willing to make comparison b/t Aeros and Mega Rides based on wearing a G-Ride. In retrospect, however, the guy at the shop wasn't the most knowledgeable, but he said repeatedly that there was no difference save for dynafit inserts.

Supposedly there was a change for this season, but in the boots I've tried, it's hard to tell. My regular boot has been the Matrix since Feb. 04, but last April I skied the 1903 Haute Route in the G-Ride.

I put about 250km, 15 passes and 6 peaks on them in 12 days and found them to be pretty similar in touring mode to the Matrix, although the difference in ramp angle and height was noticeable in some skiing conditions and expecially in some rock scrambling and ladder climbing.

The Garmont sole is thinner, with less ramp angle. Although it has one more buckle, the lower ramp angle makes it feel slightly less agressive.

i have owned both g-rides and last years mega-rides and cannot tell much difference in stiffness at all. i dont know about this years stuff, but in last years the megas supposed to be softer, but very slightly. i think someone also asked about krypton tongues on mega-rides. there was a thread recently with pics about someone putting krypton tongues on g-rides, and it looked to work very well. i've got denali xt tongues on my mega-rides and they fit well

I switched from G-Rides to Mega-rides late last season when I bought a pair of TLTs. The difference wasn't too much for me, but then I only skied them in soft conditions. Indoors you won't be able to tell hardly any difference in the stiffness between the G-Ride and Mega-Ride. However, the plastic used in the G-Ride is tempature sensitive and will be stiffer in skiing tempatures. The Mega-Ride doesn't change. [paraphrasing from a Coulior thread]: "Pre- '06 Megarides are all pebax and the G-Ride is 50/50 pebax/polyurethane, the '04 Megaride is supposedly softer in actual use than the G-Ride. PU stiffens in the cold (witness the Nordica AT boots) while pebax maintains its shop flex (pebax is also lighter). The '06 Megaride has a new tongue and some redesign and hear it is very similar stiffness wise to the G-Ride now. It also now has the side mounted walk/ski switch from the Dynamite/G-Lite series (nice)."
    I haven't messed with changing tongues, yet.
    BB

PS: Just read on the Coulior forum that the Denali tongues can be easily fit onto G-Rides, Mega-Rides, Lasers, et al., are close in stiffness to the Flexons, and can be purchased new from BD for $50. They claim another advantage over the Flexons in that you don't have to align all the buckles with the Flexon ribs.
    http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin...c;f=1;t=001701