Need help in saving New England rock skis..!

Hi anyone,
    Well, I've done it! While drilling holes for the heel section (Freerides) on my rock skis...I fell asleep...and while on the first hole....went all the way through...base & all... .
    I'm willing to try just about anything to create a base plug...with which would I then just ptex over etc....?
    EDIT: I really like to use these holes...they're lined up perfectly with toe section...
    Any suggestions, besides...chucking em';-)...highly appreciated...

Thanks.........
    Last edited by steved; 10-29-2005 at 11:08 AM.

I think they make T-nuts with base stuck to the bottom for snowboards. I would require that you drill out the hole to a bigger size and then insert the base+ t-nut plug. Maybe do a google search on this method.

try here
    http://www.tognar.com/bindtips.html
    Last edited by Vinman; 10-29-2005 at 11:09 AM.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Sounds good Vinman.....worth a try...
    Edit: YES!...I thought epoxy would fit into this at some point!
    Thanks a mil Vinman....

Going to truck on over to Kmart tomorrow for the Sunday morning rush hour....gotta get on some snow
    Last edited by steved; 10-29-2005 at 11:23 AM.

If it were me I'd do this:

I would mount in the hole, then put an amount of epoxy into the hole, from the base side that fills it but does not protrude. I would let that cure, then fill the rest of the space with Ptex. The other way would be to just blob a bunch of epoxy in there and plane the leftovers off once it cures, that would just produce a spot that would be kind of awkward when you're waxing/scraping, but if it's a rock ski really all you need to worry about is the solid mount and sealing the core.

I bet it'll be fine.

Ether way (meaning t-screws or anything else you do) I would be sure to use some epoxy to seal the core. You don't want moisture getting into the core through an unsealed hole like that, that will ruin your mount and ruin your core. That's why skis snap and bindings pull out.

Buck up, you can do this!

Excellent YetiMan!

thinking some more: If you wanted to just do the epoxy with no ptex, it may be easier to fill the hole from the topsheet side...depending on how thoroughly you drilled through the base.

YetiMan, Vinman....
    Applied epoxy from top, screws are in...everything is upside down now...with the epoxy curing. It looks like the epoxy has filled just up to where I could maybe apply some ptex! It Looks pretty good!!!

Your ptex won't stick to the epoxy but no big deal you won't notice it. I repaired a bent edge with epoxy and ended with about a dime's area of epoxy. As long as smooth no worries.

You can however do the epoxy repair so that ptex will stick. Haven't done it this way myself but it was on the Tognar site. Cheese grate a small amount of ptex before doing your epoxy repair. Do epoxy repair and while epoxy wet put some of the ptex gratinging in the surface of the epoxy. Your ptex repair will stick to your gratings embedded in the epoxy. Now you have to leave the epoxy level lower than the surface as you have to leave some room for the ptex.

Second thought if its just a small hole it should stick to sides well enough to hole. Though a ptex repair with an iron should work bettter than a dip repair. For a larger repair see above.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.