Barryvox - Broken Battery Contact [UPDATE]....

I was changing out the batteries in my Barryvox last night and one of the contacts basically fell right off. I know there was a run of their beacons that were recalled due to issues with the batter cover leaking, but I made sure mine was outside the range of serial numbers that were affected when I bought it.

Has this happened to anybody else? Am I a 'tard for forgetting to take out the batteries over the summer?

By some miracle, i was able to find the receipt and box....so i'm waiting for their US service center (Climb High in Shelburne, VT) to open.
    Last edited by dropinskiout; 10-28-2005 at 09:08 AM.

UPDATE:

Mammut will not repair a beacon that battery acid has leaked into (understandably). They will sell me a replacement for $109.

So...I decided to call Duracell and bitch at them. Turns out, they want me to send the beacon and batteries to them and if they find that the batteries did leak they will buy me a new beacon.

At this point, I'm glad a spent the extra cash on the Duracells rather than the discount rack specials.

So, did you see battery leakage, or did the contact just fall out? Nice deal on the part of both Mammut and Duracell (Gillette) to stand behind products. Good luck.

yeah, blue/whiteish corrorsion on the contacts. I'll be REALLY happy with Duracell if they do own up to it being a result of faulty batteries.

(and it would really reinforce their advertising campaign about all the life-saving equipment that uses Duracell)

UPDATE #2: (for all those riveted by my saga)

Duracell is buying me a new beacon.

In case this happens to anybody else, make sure you keep the offending batteries to send in with the beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by dropinskiout
    UPDATE:

Mammut will not repair a beacon that battery acid has leaked into (understandably). They will sell me a replacement for $109.

So...I decided to call Duracell and bitch at them. Turns out, they want me to send the beacon and batteries to them and if they find that the batteries did leak they will buy me a new beacon.

At this point, I'm glad a spent the extra cash on the Duracells rather than the discount rack specials.
    Don't ever put cheap batteries in a beacon. Use only name brand alkalines.

The battery test is designed to work with the output curve of alkalines and will not read accurately with non-alk batteries, lithiums or rechargeables.

Also less chance of sizing issues which has been an issue for ortovox and BCA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by dropinskiout

Has this happened to anybody else? Am I a 'tard for forgetting to take out the batteries over the summer?
    Yes, it says to take them out in the directions. You got lucky that you are getting a new one.