Angry Alka's Metal Bands (cause no one else is talking 'bout them.)

A comprehensive guide to the best Hardcore, Death Metal, Heavy Metal and general kick ass bands to get amped to today. Why, because I have to.

New Fav
    Dimmu Borgir. 'Death Cult Armaggedon'
    This band kicks some serious ass. Before Metallica 'got the idea' to play with a symphony this melodic black metal band from Norway has been laying down powerful, epic, black metal. On 'Death Cult Armaggedon' they made the album with the Prague philharmonic, making for an unbelievably varied and powerful sound that is truly original.
    ****1/2 out of *****

Old Classic
    Slayer. 'Reign in Blood'
    The most influential metal band of all time with their best album ever. Going for that first ever double back flip, pop in this CD you'll be so amped you'll stick that shit before you even know what happened.
    ***** out of *****

Straight Metal
    Shadows Fall. 'The Art of Balance'
    A powerful band with siick riffs and a singer with good variations in voice style. From a good hardcore hollar to melodic singing the lead singer presents quality lyrics that don't fall under the typical death, dying, and pain umbrella that much metal falls under. Lyrics of hanging with the boys, zen buddhist like creations and politically motivated songs all go along with the angry yet moderated style of Shadows Fall.
    **** out of *****

Hardcore Hollah
    Warzone. 'The Sound of Revolution'
    Screaming of New York Hardcore, you can hear the NY streets from the depths of the infamous and late lead singer Raybeez' voice. Now those who say punk and hardcore is for degenerates and losers, must listen to the lyrics of Raybeez. In the hardcore/punk scene this guy is a god and represents all that is good in street music. Fighting for the common laborer, standing next to your brothers, and the being a straight forward man with an emphasis on dedication, honesty, and family. And Raybeez isn't afraid to scream about his frustrations in his unmistakable voice in front of a fast guitar and a hard snare.

**** out of *****

More still to come.....
    Last edited by Alkasquawlik; 12-15-2003 at 10:19 PM.

You need to get on AIM so I can annoy you.
    No.

Slayer - Blood line, raining blood, and angel of death

Metallica, only the old stuff since they suck ass now (thanks to st.anger) - justice for all album, battery, and most of their other old crap

iron maiden- fear of the dark

Jimi Hendrix- all of his shit rules RIP

and fuck yah metal rules!

Anyone who likes metal should check out Probot, its Dave Grohls sideproject. You can find some songs on kazaa, "centuries of sin" kicks ass.

They have a 7" vinyl EP on sale on the foo fighters website for only 4 bucks but it sold out really fast, it says they are getting more though.

check em out

http://www.southernlord.com/probot/

the cd should kick ass
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

If you like metal Get some of:
    In Flames (death metal for the advanced)
    Naglfar (black/death makes dimmu borgir look like pop)
    at the gates. (classic)

these i can recommend without being a metalmaniac myself.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Re: Alka's Metal Bands (cause no one else is talking 'bout them.)

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik
    A comprehensive guide to the best Hardcore, Death Metal, Heavy Metal and general kick ass bands to get amped to today. Why, because I have to.

New Fav
    Dimmu Borgir. 'Death Cult Armaggedon'
    ...this melodic death metal band from Norway has been laying down powerful, epic, death metal. .... ****1/2 out of *****

well actually, as i understand it (i am not an afficianado but my buddy is a death metal bassist) dimmu borgir is "black metal" rather than "death metal."

the lyrics of black metal (the more popular of the two) focus on the external locus of control, i.e. the devil made me do it.

death metal focuses on the internal locus of control -- i.e the evil within all of us humans -- serial killer stuff. in my mind, scarier.

cannibal corpse is the best death metal out there - at least as a live act. i have seen them live and it was intense. (plus they have song titles like "i cum blood").
    Last edited by britney; 12-15-2003 at 06:58 PM.
    Powder. It gives you the freedom to be retarded. (S. Morrison)

Originally posted by nightpanda
    Jimi Hendrix- all of his shit rules RIP
    [music snob]Yes, Jimi does rule. However, I would hardly consider his music to be metal.[/music snob]
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Yah I know Jimi isn't metal or anything close to that but he shows what a real guitar should sound like. Just finished listening to voodoo child and I am amazed as usual no matter how many times I listen to the song it nevers gets old.

’cause I’m a voodoo child.......

Re: Re: Alka's Metal Bands (cause no one else is talking 'bout them.)

Originally posted by britney
    well actually, as i understand it (i am not an afficianado but my buddy is a death metal bassist) dimmu borgir is "black metal" rather than "death metal."

the lyrics of black metal (the more popular of the two) focus on the external locus of control, i.e. the devil made me do it.

death metal focuses on the internal locus of control -- i.e the evil within all of us humans -- serial killer stuff. in my mind, scarier.

cannibal corpse is the best death metal out there - at least as a live act. i have seen them live and it was intense. (plus they have song titles like "i cum blood").
    Damn Britney, you sure does know your metal.

Re: Alka's Metal Bands (cause no one else is talking 'bout them.)

Hardcore Hollah
    Warzone. 'The Sound of Revolution'
    Screaming of New York Hardcore, you can hear the NY streets from the depths of the infamous and late lead singer Raybeez' voice. Now those who say punk and hardcore is for degenerates and losers, must listen to the lyrics of Raybeez. In the hardcore/punk scene this guy is a god and represents all that is good in street music. Fighting for the common laborer, standing next to your brothers, and the being a straight forward man with an emphasis on dedication, honesty, and family. And Raybeez isn't afraid to scream about his frustrations in his unmistakable voice in front of a fast guitar and a hard snare.

I saw these guys play at CBGB's back in the day with No Redeeming Social Value and Shutdown.

the town I grew up in was littered with NYC hardcore wannabe's and posi-youthcrews (i.e. Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, etc.)
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Re: Re: Alka's Metal Bands (cause no one else is talking 'bout them.)

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    I saw these guys play at CBGB's back in the day with No Redeeming Social Value and Shutdown.

the town I grew up in was littered with NYC hardcore wannabe's and posi-youthcrews (i.e. Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, etc.)
    HOLY SHIT, SHUTDOWN! Easily one of my favorite hardcore bands of all time. Almost no one I know has ever heard of them. I'd give my left nut to see Warzone and Shutdown play together. Lets see, I was 13 when Raybeez died

Re: Re: Re: Alka's Metal Bands (cause no one else is talking 'bout them.)

Damn Britney, you sure does know your metal.
    Yeah. Anyone else slightly scared?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Is Brit goth?

In Flames kicks serious serious ass. Definately go see them live.

wow, shadows fall...I used to be good friends with Brian, the singer. his old band (like 92?) Overcast was killer too.
    I knew they were getting big, but its wierd to read about it on here!
    they fucking rock.

My metal years were during the 80's so the Cromags, Nuclear Assault, Possessed and Pantera come to mind for me ( besides what has already been mentioned ) . As for something more modern why has no one mention System of a Down !?!?!?!?!?!?! are they not "core" enough ? Anyway no one to me sounds fresher on the metal scene today plus they KICK SERIOUS ASS LIVE !
    "Do the interns get Glocks ? "

Originally posted by board
    .....why has no one mention System of a Down !?!?!?!?!?!?! are they not "core" enough ? Anyway no one to me sounds fresher on the metal scene today plus they KICK SERIOUS ASS LIVE !
    Agreed. These guys will get your blood pumping!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Talking

Don't forget Coal Chamber, Cradle of Filth and Godhead

More Metal

Blood Klot-Straight out of the mountains in colorado these guys resemble Cannible Corpse and Nile. Death metal has never sounded so good.

BLS-Zakk Wylde is an amazing guitarist and his heavy riffs are unbelievable.

Children of Bodom- Black metal at its finest these guys have a monumental sound that is backed by incredible lyrics.

Testament- The old is reminiscent of Slayer, the new is somewhat slower like some of pantera's stuff from the great southern trendkill.

Cattle Decapitation- What else can I say that their name doesn't

Iced Earth- Great sound and awesome Palm Muted riffs, love their stuff especially "Something wicked this way comes"

Emporer- Ask me and they are highly under-rated, the drumming on all their tracks is incredible the rest seems to follow in suit to create an awesome sound.

Originally posted by rightcoast
    wow, shadows fall...I used to be good friends with Brian, the singer. his old band (like 92?) Overcast was killer too.
    I knew they were getting big, but its wierd to read about it on here!
    they fucking rock.
    That's sick mang. They're blowing up right now. I've seen two videos on Fuse and a bit on MTV2. Definitely a kewl band.