Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trip to Paris...Suggestions

I'm going to visit my wife in Paris for a long weekend this weekend (she's there for a month on bizniz), and I'd like to see parts of the city which are off the beaten path. I'd also like to take a day trip, but want to avoid the tourist stuff, does anyone have any suggestions?
    I'll have friday and monday to wander on my own...

Merci.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

This isn't off the beaten tourist path, but it's cool nevertheless and not super popular. The Musee de L'Armee is basically a history tour of French military. The best part, after walking through rooms filled with medieval armor, is checking out the tombs of the great French military leaders, including Napoleon. The coolest one is of Ferdinand Foch. Anyways, if you can't find anything else to do, it's a good way to kill some time. Also, eat at L'Entrecote, a mostly locals steak and fries restaurant (there are a few now) that's damn good.

Thumbs up

Pigalle Place a.k.a "le zone de lumière rouge"

"The museum of the French Army" - that, my friends, is comedy gold.

Again, there is nothing off beaten path in Paris...

Reco:
    - the Picasso Museum in the Marais district. The Marais has plenty of funky boutiques, quiche kitchens, and wine bars. Kinda SOHO/NOHO.
    - If weather good go to Samaritain (huge dept. store facing the Seine; rive droit) and go up to the roof top terrace. Great views 360. They have a cafe on the roof terrace.

Day trip:
    Versailles is huge, but overrun w/ tourists.
    Trip out to Fontainebleau. The Chateau and grounds are smaller but just magnificent. Large expanse of forests surround Fontainbleue. With a good map of the forests you can find plenty of hiking, some great bouldering, and small towns. map: 3615 IGN www.ign.fr
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

If you'd like to take a day trip out of the city, I'd suggest a town called Reimes in the champagne region of France. I was there earlier this year, and if you can get a tour with one of the big champagne houses, they'll tell you all about how much of the construction in the region was done with chalk that was mined from underground in the roman era. Also, the chalk mines are currently used by many of the champagne houses as wine cellars, and they'll take you down there... very cool.

And besides, you could go and have yourself a glass of champagne if you're a fan!

Other ideas within the city... to tell you the truth, everything is super touristy. If it's your first time there, you really should see some of the big sites. One suggestion if you do go see the Notre Dame; go very early in the morning. I managed to get there right when it opened, and had the whole place to myself. I'm not a religious person, but that was an amazing experience.

Oh, and eat lots of baguettes and croissants.
    Last edited by IHeartWhistler; 10-19-2005 at 03:26 AM.

Institut du Monde Arabe - one of the most impressive buildings ever (the whole façade closes and opens with the sun)

must see : Notre Dame (close to IMA), Centre George Pompidou, Le Louvre (totally crazy these times, just reopened an aisle, huge expressionist exhibition)

Jardins des plantes + Tropical Greenhouses + Muséum d'Histoire Naturelle (on the way from Notre Dame to IMA)

A walk through the Marais may be nice. Do not bring money you'll spend it all

Musée Dapper (16eme arr.) is a really nice african arts museum.

I must be forgetting a lot but here's my 2 cents...

WWMD? Spend the entire weekend buing stuff at A Vieux Campeur, one of Paris's best outdoor stores (actually: "several of Paris' best outdoor stores").

Also check out Virtual Tourist: Paris: Off the Beaten Path
    I can see my house from here!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by supercastor
    must see : Notre Dame (close to IMA)

I was a very gnar kid.

2nd the Pigalle.

If you or your lady are into art at all, swing out to Montemarte.

There was another museum I really enjoyed (fuck the Louvre) but I forgot the name of it.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Quote Originally Posted by 13
    There was another museum I really enjoyed (fuck the Louvre) but I forgot the name of it.
    Musee d'Orsay? Well worth a look - impressive building, good exhibits and a bit more manageable in size than the Louvre.

one of the things i really enjoyed that i don't think is very popular (by paris standards) was the catacombs. Pretty cool...definitely very macabre. Only took maybe a hour from start to finish.

They have weird hours though, so definitely look into it beforehand.

Heh, I was there last weekend. Very disappointed to find the Vieux Campeur shut on a Sunday...

Would recommend the Hotel Langlois, near Galleries Lafayettes - just as you would expect an hotel in Paris to be. Enjoyed some exhibitions at the Pompidou but I think they are closed now. Apart from that it was nice just wandering, eating and drinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer
    Apart from that it was nice just wandering, eating and drinking...
    That's a lot of what we did. It's cool just to wander around the city, drink some cafe' long and watch people. We also went to this jazz club... don't remember the name, but it was right by the jardins des plantes. It was a good time and some very good wine there. Eat lots of pastries.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo

I was a very gnar kid.
    Hey Roo, did'ya pour hot oil on the advancing masses?

I second the suggestion for the catacombs. Bring your camera, but do not be tempted to take a bone or two. You will be searched on exit.

No love for Jim Morrison's Grave anymore....

Oh yeah, if you rollerblade well, (and I mean well!), check out the Friday night gathering of sometimes a thousand: http://www.pari-roller.com/?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    "The museum of the French Army" - that, my friends, is comedy gold.
    Well, I think "Museum of Surrender" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfire
    We also went to this jazz club... don't remember the name, but it was right by the jardins des plantes. It was a good time and some very good wine there.
    The club was "Le Petit Journal" near the Luxembourg Gardens in the Latin quarter. There are apparently two locations: St. Michel and Montparnasse. I think the one we went to was Montparnasse. It was a small place with great live jazz. If you dig jazz and wine and want to avoid the crowd scene, I'd recommend checking it out.

On a trip that short, I wouldn't plan much. Just let life happen the Paris way. Drink lots of cafe, eat lots of Croque Monsieur et Madames, nail your wife in secluded alleys, you know- the usual Paris stuff.

If you are looking for something totally strange- do the sewer tour. I have heard it is incredible. It is on my list next time I go. I am pretty sure it won't be crowded.

Another cool thing to do. Go to Montmartre, walk around Sacre Cour. Around the backside facing south is a small doorway with a Salvador Dali sign on it. Pay the nice lady, walk downstairs, and prepare to be dazzled. If you happen to get ahold of some primo Dubage Francais, now is the time to smoke it. That little museum/gallery entertained me and my friends for 3 hours one rainy afternoon. You will love it.

Versailles is fine, but keep in mind, it is hardly ever open. I have been there 4 times, and never gotten in the palace. The gardens are nice, but not worth the trip out there. If you like gardens, hit Les Touilleries near Le Louvre. Those are really nice gardens, and you can watch people all day long there. if you ever had to study French In Action episodes in school, you will recognize the gardens.

Have fun. Just know that you will be back, so you don't rush it. The city is huge, with lots to do. It will be there a long time.

thanks. good stuff, keep it coming. I'll look into these tonight.
    I trust the French adhere to the strict dress code of shorts and tank tops?
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo
    Well, I think "Museum of Surrender" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
    I heard they make you walk through the whole place backwards with your hands in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    I heard they make you walk through the whole place backwards with your hands in the air.
    Real easy to find too. Just look for the giant white flag.

Jeebus, it's Paris! It's a beautiful city. Don't worry about the 'touristy' places; most of the huge tourist crowds are gone for the season. The museum to see if you like Impressionists is the Musee D'Orsay - right across from Le Louvre. Awesome.

Do lots of walking - over to the Quartier Latin and some of the islands. All of the bridges are cool. Take a boat ride on the Siene. Montmartre is supposed to be great but I haven't been. I really enjoyed going up in the Eiffel tower, but I like seeing an area and getting a feel for my surroundings.

Lots of good jazz in Paris - I'd check more of that out next time.

Have fun.

I think Time Out has a Paris version which is great for finding out of the way spots for dining and nightlife.

Check for it at your wife's hotel or at newstands.
    Falafel!