kb1dqh Guest

Palmer Glacier Conditions?

Does anyone know what Palmer up at Timberline looks like right now? I know there is pretty much zero new snow, but I was hoping to do some hiking this weekend and possibly get a few turns in. Any beta? Thanks! -kb

Most heinous, as is everything within 200 miles of hte pacific fucking ocean. (except in ak)

There has been recent snow down to 5000 ft. Maybe last week or so. I don't know if there's been rain since then, however.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I was there the weekend before last. Friday evening it looked like there might be a few 100 yard skiable lines, but rocks everywhere. It snowed Friday and Saturday nights, and looks like it got a couple inches of coverage. Sunday morning I walked up to the Silcox Hut and saw 2 snowboarders and 2 tele skiers hiking up to get some turns. It's pretty likely that you can get a few turns in, but bring your worst rock skis for sure.

kb1dqh Guest
    Thanks for the info. Not sounding amazing, but doable. -kb

It was asked what Palmer is like in another thread, so I am bumping this one.

Race programs are on the hill by 7:00 and general public can come up at 8:00. Although some kids are still on their way up, this gives a nice window to get up the hill without too much of a wait at the Mile or Palmer. The park camps start at 10:00 so again that group is up a bit later. Also, once the park camps are up, they stay in their designated park by using rope-tows.

Starting last week, the mid-way was the only place to load without taking your skis off. The midway is also the main load for the racers. Therefore, you can avoid the lines if you are willing to walk a bit and go to the bottom of the lift; the walk gets a little longer each day. The longest I waited on Sat was about ten minutes because the lift had to get turned off when a group of kids thought about jumping on a chair that was already loaded, but other than that the lines were about 5 minutes.

The snow is firm (nearly ice) in the AM and on a good day doesn’t get too soft until noonish. Last weekend was good skiing until the 2:00 close, and the week before that is pretty soft by noon.

There is just the public lane lane and often the far outer East (kind of Bean’s run) open to public until 12, and then all the race lanes open up as they finish. This snow will also be firmer because of the salt used by the race teams.

I didn’t tour, but those I talked to had a great time. There is still a lot of turns for those who want them.

According to my new Garmin, there was 2mi of skiing still
    to be had from the top of Palmer to the bottom of the run out (followed by a bit of a walk).

Lastly, the butterflies have been out at moderate numbers, but not the swarms that they sometimes are. Anyone thinking of heading up should do it. Summer on Palmer is fun. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5106250-04E9-4EE7-93AD-8B1CB79C7C1A.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	493.5 KB 
ID:	289447

You could ski to the bottom of palmer last Saturday what are you talking about hiking?

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    You could ski to the bottom of palmer last Saturday what are you talking about hiking?

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk
    You are correct. Just had to kick out and walk up the ramp.