Sandia Peak - they've got a tram!?!?

Anyone skied this place? I guess they've got a full fledged tram. Just looking for some beta.

Sandia Peak

Speaking of random trams, anyone out there ever skied the Cannon Mountain Ski Area Tram? Do they merit a tram or would a six pack do the trick?
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

I think the tram is just a tourist thing. It looks like it goes up the mountain on the opposite side of the ski area.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning

+100 gnar points for one-piece.

Never skied there.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Quote Originally Posted by powstash
    Speaking of random trams, anyone out there ever skied the Cannon Mountain Ski Area Tram? Do they merit a tram or would a six pack do the trick?
    Yeah, Cannon has a full fledged tram.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

so are you a season pass holder there? I know they have a tram (saw the picture) but I need to find someone that skis there on a reg basis.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Yes. I have skied Sandia and Cannon as well. Sandia is a fun place in a good snow year. I picture the Snowbasin-Ogden set-up being very similar in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch
    I think the tram is just a tourist thing. It looks like it goes up the mountain on the opposite side of the ski area.
    Exactly, the tram goes up the west face(not skiable) of the Sandias, and the ski area is on the east side. If you live in Albuquerque you can park at the base of the tram and toss on your ski gear, ride the tram and ski the area. That saves a 30 minute commute to the area.

Sandia is small and realatively flat, as Endless said it's not bad when there's snow, it's a cheap and hassle free option for people in Albuquerque when they don't feel like heading up to Taos.

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason
    Yes. I have skied Sandia and Cannon as well. Sandia is a fun place in a good snow year. I picture the Snowbasin-Ogden set-up being very similar in the future.
    It's really small and pretty flat. The tram ride is super cool, and the view of the city off the city side of the ridge is awesome. Not very good skiing overall though.

but they do have fish fossils at 11,000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by powstash
    cannon has a small tram. its more of a yr round tourist trap than a ski thing. skiing under the tram can be fun in powder.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by assgasorgrass
    but they do have fish fossils at 11,000 feet.
    Oh, and that is the just the most rare thing that could ever happen!

The himalayas are chalk-full of them also.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11
    cannon has a small tram. its more of a yr round tourist trap than a ski thing. skiing under the tram can be fun in powder.
    that's true, especially back when man in the mountain was more prominent. but I can't imagine riding that face on a six pack on a cold/windy day, either. and it'd be closed a bit more as well if that was the lift option.

The Cannon Tram is gnarly enough in the wind on its own.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason
    I picture the Snowbasin-Ogden set-up being very similar in the future.
    Ogden-Snowbasin would be, well, really really long in comparison, i think. It was never going to be a tram anyway, though I suppose the bi/tricable systems are pretty much just circulating trams anyway.

They do look like trams, though, don't they:

Also, we've had Cannon races cancelled because of extreme cold, so I can understand the tram thing just to prevent frostbite.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-28-2005 at 06:46 PM.

I learned to ski there and taos, having grown up in abq, but haven't skied at sandia since the late 80s

In the late 90s, I know there were a few years in a row that they didn't open at all, but as far as flat you got that right. I remember my dad saying his deepest powder day ever was at sandia, but all you could do was go straight from the top of the lift to back to the bottom because there was so much snow that if you turned you would get stuck.

A great hike in the summer is up the backside of the resort from abq., (where the tram is) eat lunch at the top and then ride or hike back down to abq

My advice, drive to Taos.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch