Big Trouble Beta

I know they are new this year, but maybe someone has had some prototype time or at least flexed them?

124/92/114, 23m @ 186
    Wood Core

Here is what footloose sports had to say:

Big Trouble
    Powder/Park/All-Mountain
    Dynastar’s all-new entry into the fat-twin category is worth the wait. Like it’s competitors (the Salomon 1080 Gun, Head Mojo), it’s a wide board with a different approach than the hard-charging big mountain skis. This is an all-mountain ski for the new generation of skiers for whom all-mountain means freestyle versatility on the upper mountain and in the park. The formula is getting fairly standard- a 95mm-ish waist, with a lsnappier construction, deeper sidecut, and a twin tip configuration- as opposed to the heavier, damper, straighter shaped skis made exclusively for aggressive big-mountain style skiing. Like most Dynastar’s, it’s a light-feeling, quick and reactive ski, but it is one of the stiffer skis in the category. Suprisingly, Dynastar has used a laminate construction (with a layer of Titanal)- the Big Trouble is a ski with some real substance, and it will do well in the crud compared to some of the lighter alternatives. Suprisingly, Dynastar has avoided the park-style sidecut that is typical for twin-tips, and stuck with a tapered tail. This may mean less carving perforamance, but it will help make this ski more versatile for all-mountain skiing.
    Compare to the Head Mojo 90, the Salomon Pocket Rocket, the Fischer Atua/Kehua, or the Volkl Karma.
    Requires wide brakes.
    If you mount this ski with Look bindings, Dynastar will add a year to the ski’s warranty.
    Sizes 176 and 186 only. Sidecut 124/92/114

http://www.footloosesports.com/revie...e.php?prid=156

--- here is the copy from Dynastar:

Rider Profile
    For riders looking to take their New School technique to the backcountry

Advantages

Great floatation in all snow conditions
    Backcountry shape, wide super raised tip and tail

Switch stability
    Unparalleled jump performance in deeper snow conditions Graduated Spring Blade mechanism

Level
    Back country

Terrain
    Parks

Technical Features
    Sandwich titanal

I use them as a tele ski, really good all mountain ski. Skis like a trouble maker, but stiffer (has metal topsheet, tm doesn't) Noticeably stiffer than Scratch and B3/4, and livelier. Skied in Pow, corn and ice. Did well everywhere, with some tip deflection in the heavier stuff. Overall, lots of fun and stable.

Thanks laps. That gives me a better idea. They sound ideal for everyday tooling.

One last bump.

I thought it was the best in the category- it's simple, clean, and seems like it would be durable. I like the more tapered sidecut- a lot of twins have relatively wide tails that seem to be trickier in the steeps (and when you're trying to let em run). It has enough metal to be damp, but it's is built like Dynastar's old mogul skis with a really snappy wood core. You might like the feel of other skis better, but the BT seems like a good all-arounder.

Any comment on the mounting of this ski? I know there was an old thread that looked like the ski was way too center mounted.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero
    Any comment on the mounting of this ski? I know there was an old thread that looked like the ski was way too center mounted.
    Good point. I tried so many skis last year that its all blurring, but:
    If it's anything like last season's Salomon's or Dynastar's (and a lot of the twins), it is too far forward.
    I noticed this on Legend Pros and Pocker Rockets: I had to move the demo binders at least 2cm back. Whatever the merits for skiing switch or spinning, fat skis should not dive in powder. The demo guys at Footloose were claiming that all French skis last season were marked too far forward.
    It would be worth it to look into this before mounting these skis. It's worth it to demo any skis for a day and move the bindings around, but I would say the factory mark on these skis is definitely suspect.

Not that this helps, but I mounted mine 3 cm forward of cord center, with tele bindings. No tip dive, and fine for bumps/groomers. Also a good place to be on the ski for smaller drops, not too far forward like traditional pin line mounts.
    Not much of a park skier, but I did a couple runs in the pipe and park at BC, and they were a lot of fun.
    I think 1-2 cm back for all around, I think that is where my boot midsole is.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid