Check Out Our Shop

On the fly adjustable mtn bike seat angle changing thingee

Hey you mtn bike nerds!
    What's with this thing?
    https://www.aenomalyconstructs.com/?...BrlCUl2zQp5R5Q

Seems to make sense to me as climbing something steep and gnarly usually involves the pointy part of the seat being halfway up my rectum (yeah, I know it's my technique that sucks.. sorry). Wondering what you actual mtn bikers think of this (the device, not my shitty technique).
    Thanks!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

mtn bikers are assholes and every asshole is different so just find the seat you like, I pass on this device

some gear reviewer somewhere has been tagged to use this thing and write an artical so look on-line for that
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-23-2024 at 10:47 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have more than a few friends that have their seats at weird angles, and have for years. Seems strange to me. I just put mine level. A comfy nose is nice for climbing. Whats even better is the emtb allows me to run the seat down a bulit all the time. An inch or 2 is so much more enjoyable. Steep tech it goes even lower so i can move tge bike.
    I havent tried that "on the fly adjustment saddle" but i think its probably adding unnecessary weight , maintenance, complexity, and price,especially on an acoustic bike. Who knows, a dropper was a game changer so maybe its worth a try

Sent from my SM-S711W using TGR Forums mobile app

I would be intersted in trying it.

but not at that pricepoint....

It'll be great when they license it to some company that integrates it into a dropper post. Until then, it's expensive and kinda heavy for what it is.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

So you have to get off the bike to do it?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It'll be great when they license it to some company that integrates it into a dropper post. Until then, it's expensive and kinda heavy for what it is.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Specialized already has one.

Only offered in 150 likely d/t the tilt mechanism taking up a lot of stack. They correctly state that effective drop is increased as the tail of the saddle tilts back but I doubt it would compete with my 210 1Up for getting out of the way. Also my saddle has high tail with a modest cut out for rear tire clearance to maximize drop. As any saddle tilts back that clearance will be reduced. Likely not an issue for most at only 150mm drop I guess but still. The single review on their site points to reliability issues around the tilt mechanism so, yeah, needless complexity.

Also, fuck Specialized. Just sayin.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 06-24-2024 at 11:56 AM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, flying through the air

I have one, and am still deciding on it.

The angle changes are too great IMO. A flat saddle gives me numb-nuts on STEEP climbs, so a fixed position is not ideal. I never use the "DH" position. The angle adjustments are discrete, and I had to change my "flat" saddle position to be slightly nose-up so that when I was in the climb position (nose down) it wasn't ridiculous. If you run it in your normal position it will feel weird unless you are climbing a grade greater than 20% LOL. Really if it's greater than 20% grade up I'm walking unless the section is pretty short. Supreme Road, Puke Hill, and Raptor Road are 3 places it's nice.

If they made the changes a few degrees smaller it would be better.

But it's easy to adjust even while pedaling, Michael Jackson style.

SJG I used to get numb junk on fire road climbs. I finally got onto SQ Labs saddles and it’s a thing of the past. Also per my remarks above, the tail is raised to keep you on the seat when climbing. Might even negate the need for the adjustable angle thingy and let you keep a more normal saddle position. Not cheap but t hey work really well. I’ve got the 611 ‘Active’ on my mountain bikes and the 612 on the road bike.

I have had a SQ Lab 60X on my bike for over 2yrs. AND the MJ adjuster. I was just providing another data point for feedback.

Seems like a new squeak in the making and possibly play developing. It may be good for some people.

SJG what frame and STA you running?

The fans of the anoemaly tend to have steep STA. While I am a fan of the steep STA trend, esp when I’m riding regions like Squamish or whatever, it has tradeoffs too.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Ibis HD5, which I think is 77-78 degree STA. 210mm dropper, med frame (I'm 5'9").

not saying I'm a fan yet. I have had one for a year, and offered up criticisms of the product. I do like it, but it has room for improvement. I do fine without it, was trying the adjuster to see if it was making my life better or not.

Seems like something that would be more useful for a shop that specializes in bike fitment. They could use it or even rent it out to help get the seat angle juuuuust right. Maybe a great way to charge roadies a lot of money.
    Edit: nevermind, I see it only has 3 positions. Well, if they come up with something more granular, then you can get that roadie coin.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Once you know what wroks for you I can't see why a seat angle would need to be changed especialy mid ride ?

I read I'm suposed to run a seat flat so I did that on my road bike, it was ok but I had alwasy run a nose high seat so when i changed to nose high it felt way better and my neighbor retired coach of the canadian womens team said yeah you look better on the bike with the seat nose high and she would have looked at few asses in her time

I use a carpenter level to set seat angle, my prefered is to go for 1 inch between back of seat and the level

but every asshole is different so try different seat angles

also different seat position mine is always slammed all the way forward
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I have had a SQ Lab 60X on my bike for over 2yrs. AND the MJ adjuster. I was just providing another data point for feedback.
    Understood, was just offering a suggestion since you don't seem to be in love with the MJ. SQ Labs fixed my issue, sounds like they've been pretty good for you too. I appreciate your take, I've also been curious about the Switchgrade thingy like others above, not at that pricepoint.

60X is the best saddle I've ever been on, and I've tested a lot of them. I run it without the elastomer in the rear, so it pivots and flexes a lot. Is 10x more comfortable than it looks like it would be.