Check Out Our Shop

WTB: 1.25" hitch rack, CO west slope or SLC

Looking for a 1.25" 2 bike rack for Mrs. Snowaddict's new rig. Tray style - T2, Kuat, Rockymounts, etc. This car won't be the primary bike hauler so looking for a budget buy. I'll be in SLC next weekend.

If the vehicle doesn't have a hitch already, and if a 2" receiver is available for it, I'd highly recommend the 2" receiver over a 1 1/4". Much less flex in the receiver and in the bike rack.

Edit: just saw your post in the wrenching thread - 2" receiver is available for the current RAV4 hybrid, I installed one on Mrs C's 2021 model for bike rack use. Easy to do. I got a Curt model, there are others, they're all about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Good to know the flex difference is noticeable. The woodland trim we bought comes with a 1.25 "activity mount" which according to reddit may or may not be easy to swap for a 2" OEM or aftermarket hitch. If I can pick up a used rack for under $300 or so, I'm thinking I'd prefer to go that way as we'd like to have a 2nd rack anyways to avoid swapping our one rack between 3 vehicles.

1.25" racks suck so bad.

Seriously, you're gonna end up with a 2" rack eventually, save yourself some money and do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Good to know the flex difference is noticeable. The woodland trim we bought comes with a 1.25 "activity mount" which according to reddit may or may not be easy to swap for a 2" OEM or aftermarket hitch. If I can pick up a used rack for under $300 or so, I'm thinking I'd prefer to go that way as we'd like to have a 2nd rack anyways to avoid swapping our one rack between 3 vehicles.
    The OEM RAV4 hitches I've seen have been 2" but mounted higher up, through the bumper fascia, which is nice for the extra ground clearance. The aftermarket ones are all below the bumper, so no plastic cutting, but they are kinda low. Mrs C's RAV4 will drag that hitch on dirt roads occasionally.

IDK if that Woodland version hitch is up high, through the bumper. The OEM higher mount hitch are available aftermarket, just cost more than the aftermarket brands like Drawtite, Curt, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.