Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cargo trailer- school me please

Looking to purchase a cargo trailer near fae upstate NY for dirtbikes etc... I need to transport our mountain bikes and dortbikes across the country.

Thinking v nose tandem axle 7x12.

Please school me

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Try and find what you want used. New is $$$.
    That is all I got.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Try and find what you want used. New is $$$.
    That is all I got.
    X2 on used.

Bigger = more $. Do you have a use for this after moving? or just rent one if not.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Buy one used

use it

sell when you don't need it

to a guy looking for one used

my son borrowed one to grab a bunch of my mothers furniture and it was handy, but he had a big 3500 chipped cummins to tow it with and i hardly noticed it back there so make sure you got the rig to tow it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

In my experience they hold their value really well. So check your local Craigslist to get an idea of what a good deal looks like and then plan to resell it once you get where you're going. Only real maintenance items are tires and wheel bearings so there's not a lot of places to get bamboozled like buying a car.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I prefer the ramp door to the barn door.
    if you can get a used one, have the bearings checked and the springs. Having a leaf spring break at highway speed sucks. Replacing a leaf spring in the shoulder sucks almost as much.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I've owned a few. They are great. Ramp for what you are doing. V nose, 7x12, random axle was my daily for years with my lawn mowing business. Really comes down to your tow rig. Towing sucks when the vehicle is to small. For the above said trailer, cross country, over mountain passes, fully loaded I wouldn't go less than a 3/4 ton. If you plan on going with a 1/2 ton than for the love of god I hope it has a big motor or it will suck. I just towed a car across country last week in a 1/2 ton Suburban (had to fit the family and dog so left the big truck at home). Man did it suck, only saving grace was the Suburban had the 6.2 motor in it, and I can say without a doubt, I won't be doing that again.

With the tandem axle, make sure you get a block you can drive up onto.
    Makes changing those tires and bearings etc so much easier than jacking it up.

I am sure anyone that owns these knows that, but I thought it was cool when my buddy showed me his and explained why he always kept the block in the trailer with a spare two ties and full hub assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    With the tandem axle, make sure you get a block you can drive up onto.
    Makes changing those tires and bearings etc so much easier than jacking it up.

I am sure anyone that owns these knows that, but I thought it was cool when my buddy showed me his and explained why he always kept the block in the trailer with a spare two ties and full hub assemblies.
    Gold thx. I had not thought of that.

I might be crazy....
    I plan to only load the trailer with bikes and tow it cross country with our suv rated for 5000#. We are selling our 1 ton truck prior to moving since it may not make it across country due to mechanical issues. I plan to purchase a new truck, likely a 1500, and continue to use the trailer for bikes.

Why tandem axle for bikes?
    Two axles hold more weight. But you’re not hauling weight.
    Yeah it’s safer if a tire blows. But a simple single axle is fine. Just travel with a spare and a jack. And cross country you pay tolls per axle.
    And V nose? Harder to find and more expensive. The gas savings are minimal.

And yes. Used. The only way.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Why tandem axle for bikes?
    Two axles hold more weight. But you’re not hauling weight.
    Yeah it’s safer if a tire blows. But a simple single axle is fine. Just travel with a spare and a jack. And cross country you pay tolls per axle.
    And V nose? Harder to find and more expensive. The gas savings are minimal.

And yes. Used. The only way.
    This is what I needed to hear. I can change a spare. I can also ask for change.
    V- nose really not that much of a difference?

How many mountain bikes and dirt bikes and whats roughly the weight of those? Trailer alone is probably only 1000lbs? Sounds like you’ll be close to maxing out the weight of an suv

I was in the trailer market a couple of years ago and looked long and hard for a deal. There weren't any--trailers hold their value incredibly well. One can get a beater 16' box truck for the cost of a 6x10 trailer.

If you're hauling, say, 2 dirtbikes, 2 mtbs, and some random gear, a 5x8 will fit it. As others have noted, a 7x12 with tandem axles is nicer, but you'll pay a LOT more for the trailer and that size will put you into needing a much more substantial tow vehicle. If you want to tow it with a car or a non-giant SUV, stick with something smaller. A 7x12 tandem trailer is like 2100# empty, vs under 1000# for 5x8 single.

OTOH, if you have a big truck already and it's a one-way trip from E-W, you could probably make money on the trailer selling it out here, where the market is tighter.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Surprised no one has mentioned this? U-haul? Rent what you need and be done with it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Originally I thought we were talking open trailer but I think we're talking enclosed?

Unless you REALLY want an enclosed trailer in the future it's going to be way more cost efficient to rent from Uhaul. Those fuckers are expensive.

Yeah. U-Haul. One way.
    But I have a trailer to store toys. It’s quite convenient. It’s an extra garage. Unless your wife says it’s ugly sitting in the driveway.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    I might be crazy....
    I plan to only load the trailer with bikes and tow it cross country with our suv rated for 5000#. We are selling our 1 ton truck prior to moving since it may not make it across country due to mechanical issues. I plan to purchase a new truck, likely a 1500, and continue to use the trailer for bikes.

If you're going to drag race this rig you'll need to get a Cybertruck.
    "You're young and you got your health, what do you want with a job?"

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    If you're going to drag race this rig you'll need to get a Cybertruck.
    I want a lot of things but a cybertruck isn't one of them

Sounds like you want something like this

https://huntscustomcargo.com/product...hoCk6oQAvD_BwE

Generally, single axle - no brakes
    Double axle - brakes

Your tow rig won't do well with the double axle and the GVWR of the trailer will be above your rating. Single axles are rated, usually, at 2990 (which is the limit for no brakes).

The Tacoma Bros pulling the NOBOs will tell you different, but towing over weight is stupid.

Just like most things, there is an unlimited amount of farkles designed to separate you from your money. Here are the ones I like

RV style side door - These are operable from the inside. Nice when the weather sucks.

Over height - Full standing room

Ramp vs. Barn Door - Ramps are nice unless the trailer is unloaded on uneven ground they they get all fucked up. Barn is nice if you are in and out a lot which doesn't sound like your use case.

For the lighter weight trailers, think about the walls as a tend over the trailer. You can put e track on the walls for the moto but over time it kinda beats on the light duty trailers.

So...

Against some advice here and with some advice here, I've settled on:

6x12 dual axle with brakes
    E Track 10' lengths x 3 for tie downs

Standard options

16" oc construction
    Floors
    Roof
    Walls
    080 polycore exterior
    12v interior dome light
    Two 3500# axles with Electric brakes
    Semi screwless exterior
    2 plastic side vents
    3/4" plywood floors
    3/8" plywood walls and trim
    Rear ramp with spring assist
    Greaseable rear hinges
    Rv style side door
    Bar lock side door
    2 5/16" coupler
    7 way Bargman Plug
    2000# tongue jack w/sandfoot
    Galvalume roof
    Thermoply ceiling liner
    15" Radial Tires
    Silver mod wheels
    Full Led exterior lighting
    Extra tire

I have a brake controller in the suv. The suv is rated to tow 5000#. Total weight will be well under that amount. Future towing will be with a 1/2 ton pickup. I'll use it in the future primarily for dirtbiking with all our gear stored in it. The trailer will live in one of the garage bays. I like the dual axle for the option to carry more with the occasional help mom with construction project, as well as, brakes, safety, and, hopefully, less chance of popping a wheelie when unhooked without messing with jacks/supports.

Thank you all for your advice. I'll post when I get a double blowout on I-90.

yer gonna die...

It probably weights only 600lbs. more than a single axle.

What SUV are you using? Pay a lot of attention to tongue weight.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    yer gonna die...
    Fact

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It probably weights only 600lbs. more than a single axle.

What SUV are you using? Pay a lot of attention to tongue weight.
    Good point thx. I'll plan on the dirtbikes toward the rear or just rearward of axles balance point?