Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deck refinishing questions

I’m sure this has been discussed several times here but search sucks.

Helping my dad refinish his deck. Looks to be made
    out of pine. At one point it was finished with and oil
    based stain. But my dad let the salesman at Home Depot talk him into using some deck refinishing garbage. Which is pretty much just shitty paint.

would like to remove it all and re-stain with a good oI’ll based product.

Deck boards are in pretty good shape as is the structure. Have some cupping.
    Any good ways of removing the paint that’s flaking off.

Floor sander, planer? And recommended products to refinish with?
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

recently redid my grandparents deck. pressure washer followed by deck sander rented from home depot. orbital sander with 60 grit in the tough to reach spots. worked well.
    swing your fucking sword.

I just did about 500 sq/ft of finished indoor pine. Random orbital sander rental ftw. Be ready to change lots of pads as the stain will gum up the paper. Definitely start with a good pressure wash.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I just finished redoing my 16 yo cedar deck by running all the boards through a planer. Basically took it all apart, skimmed off the old weathered surface and re-stained it before putting it back together. Lots of work but looks like a brand new deck.
    I’ve used sanders in the past and it sucks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I actualy watched the neigbor do that ^^ then I watched him restain with some solid stuff that didnt stay nice looking very long
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Deck refinishing questions

Things to consider--

Disassembly and reassembly can be done in stages over a few weekends if the planer is on site. I guess sanding can, too, if you own the tools. A stand-up orbital will be tolerable until you get to the railing posts, a handheld palm sander will be the ultimate suck, and a handheld belt sander with 40-grit might rip the surface off faster than anything else. I've made quick work on decks with belt sanders.

If disassembly/planing-- consider if those screws are remotely rusted. They'll break halfway through removal and make you utterly suicidal with frustration with the head of the screw on your bit and the threads stuck between two pieces of wood... and no way to remove it.

Also-- if there are a lot of deep scratches in the deck (like from a dog, or foot traffic), sanding it can keep some of that character during the refinish and might make for a cool antique, lived-in look.

Example, I have a cedar tongue/groove panel in my living room that goes up the kitchen island. My cat scratched the shit out of it. Don't really care because when she passes and I need to refinish it, I'll do exactly that-- sand it halfway and then lightly stain. It'll look dope. Cute, home history and all that.
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-20-2024 at 02:58 AM.

Might consider flipping those boards that have cupping.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I actualy watched the neigbor do that ^^ then I watched him restain with some solid stuff that didnt stay nice looking very long
    I watched our neighbor do this with wood siding. Over the course of a couple of years he took the siding off, skim planed the old paint, repainted, and re-installed. Seemed like a lot of work to me. Then again, the house still looks nice.

Came here for deck pics, was quite disappointed. Anyway, I found this advert to be fairly informative.

The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Did my decks & stairs at my last house. Pine wood. After sanding I prepped with Penofin’s 3 step cleaner/prep products and stained with Messemers UV Plus. Looked great and held up well over a few CO winters and summers before I moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I watched our neighbor do this with wood siding. Over the course of a couple of years he took the siding off, skim planed the old paint, repainted, and re-installed. Seemed like a lot of work to me. Then again, the house still looks nice.
    well painting both sides of wood siding it would probaly stay good for a very long time,

its not trying to make solid stain last on a flat surface in a place where it rains/ snows lots and from what I seen of the neighbor guy he would cut corners do strange things and he redid that deck twice so he should have got the treated decking

an acquaintance was looking at that house and the inspector she hired told her don't buy that house

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Came here for deck pics, was quite disappointed. Anyway, I found this advert to be fairly informative.

WWCD.

If I was re doing the flat deck surface then I'd sand it with a drum sander. It'll take off everything down to the wood and flatten any cupping.

It's not a cakewalk like the big orbitals from the box store. It pulls hard and will flat walk YOU down the deck if you don't manhandle it. Otoh, once you get it figured out, it's pretty easy and does all of the work for you.

Now if you've got to deal with all of the vertical, that's another problem. You could use a hand sander with a belt to clean most faces but styles might require more handwork.

If ya choose to strip the whole thing, pick a good stain/material to finish it in. Don't do the hard work then use shite product. It'll look bad fast and need help far too soon.

I drum sanded a deck of 120' x 60' because my boss didn't heed my advice to ask the client if this shade of orange was gonna be acceptable on his fancy deck. Ignored, we were told to apply, so we did. Owner next day says no fucking way, you should've known better.
    So boss eats the labor and Mats. from 1st lap and we redo it a few shades lighter.

Fucking get it right the first time, yes.

GF had a severly neglected ( like everything in that house) 20yr old deck made out of 2 and better 2x6 which had held up suprisingly well. The neighbor was stripping his deck for at least the 2nd time so we borrowed the sander buddy had rented for free and I did the deck in 1/2 price cans of thompsons water seal ( super easy app with a mop ) and just like that it looked pretty good for not much effort, the deck was still beeding water in the second year and i'm really glad i didnt put any more effort into that

No one rents deck sanders around here. I just get the kneepads out and use the belt sander. Sucks but works. Tried to strip it a few years back but was not very successful. Translucent stain I use only lasts like 2 years before peeling but that's part for the course in CO at 9k'.

if you are paying Djongo unchained to do your deck or refinish your HW floor its probbably cost effective for them to rent the machine

but IME the neighbor paid for the big sander and a very large deck including the water seal took about 2-3 hrs so a real time saver
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-20-2024 at 01:26 PM.

If you are going to use a planer invest in a metal detector because decent odds there’ll be some buried metal that’ll fuck up the blades (or more). Even with doing that they grit will shred blades. Any affordable stationary sander will be too fucking slow to bother. Portable sander, for the win. Although a small belt would require an artiste to look flat

You have oil based beneath paint...

Man, pulling up every board and planing it off is a fuckton of work that is likely unneeded. Then there's the odd nail or screw sneaking past you and damaging the planer blades. And the potential for amounts of gunky paint to jam shit up and or get smeared across the clean wood is fair to middlin. And broken rusty, cussing inducing screws mentioned.

People who don't rent the machine, just haven't done it enough yet. Hand refinishing a deck can be tedious as fuckall. And God forbid it's a large deck. You may never stain it again.
    And your knees and back and wrists are better served when skiing.

Google the Clarke floor drum sander. Cheap to rent.

I realize this isn't helpful, but the answer is always Trex. Sorry for your pain.

None of our local shops rent sanders anymore because people kept fucking them up. This is why we can't have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I realize this isn't helpful, but the answer is always Trex. Sorry for your pain.
    This. Our 10yo composite deck has required basically 0 maintenance. It has faded a bit, but that's a small price for doing fuck-all with it for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Sometimes it definitely is.

But if you've ever seen a truly fantastic deck finished properly, heart redwood for instance, it's like a work of art vs. a picture of a turd.
    And you know where I work... most of these wealthy dingalings would never even consider a plastic deck that's 7200sq. ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    None of our local shops rent sanders anymore because people kept fucking them up. This is why we can't have nice things.
    I laffed...my rental guy and I have a touch and go relationship as i've rented his sanders many times and as they get beaten into uselessness, as you allude to, I have to make sure I don't get the janky one. Doesn't vac up dust, wont track straight, etc.

Same where I was last time I had to resurface a deck. Ended up getting a Dewalt drywall sander and some 60grit discs. It worked okay, not as good as a big heavy sander, but easier than getting on your knees with a hand sander.

I thot it was abig fucking orbitol sander with sheets of 40 grit you clip on, I would have remembered a drum sander and I would have sanded my foot off

Our tool rental place said they would only rent the big orbitals for interior because people weren't knocking down nails/screws sticking up above the surface and it was ruining their sanders. He claimed they were spending so much on repairs it wasn't worth the extra business. I was very disappointed since they may quick work of large decks.