Check Out Our Shop

What SPD Shoes are you riding?

I'm trying to replace clipped MTB shoes, looking for something that's stiff soled, wide forefoot & rear-ward clip mount. Replacing ~ 2019 Specialized 2FO Cliplite's that are overdone and falling apart. I've tried the newer (~ 2022) clip-lites but they felt clunky and softer soled, and a giro show on teh XC side that put my feet to sleep. What are you riding and liking?
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

i've had 3 pair of specialized in the past 20yrs and they all fit the same, wide fore foot/ narrow heel which is great for me so I'm a spesh guy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Shimano Sphyre. Love em. Find em on closeout and the price isn't too bad.

which MTB model are you on now for XXX-er? I tried on the recon 2.0 today, tight in the forefoot in the shop anyway
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

I have the Recon 2.0 and I have a fairly wide forefoot and high instep w a narrowish heel and ankle and love the fit. Size 11 foot in a 45.

I usually use Lake carbon soled shoes, and would def recommend those if you want XC style

However, Ms CE and I just finished 3 weeks bikepacking around Scotland and we both took Fox Union shoes. They worked perfectly, and IMO the fit is medium to a bit wide in the forefoot. The cleat channel is really long, so you could almost do a mid foot mount if you wanted.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I'm a Shimano shoe guy, the wide width fits me well and they are always on sale for cheap and last forever....
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Shimano ME7XX for as long as I can. Just picked up a spare pair in my size that I'll try to hold off on wearing until next season. Current pair is in their 4th season, just replaced the buckles and broken speedlaces.

Shimano ME5 - lower profile, BOA version of ME7.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

+1 on the Specialized Recon 2.0. I measure for a 27.5 ski boot, using a 44.

Shimano AM5 for mtb - the last is perfect for my wide-ish feet and I can size down comfortably. Oh and no BOA, just good ol' laces.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Shimano ME7XX for as long as I can. Just picked up a spare pair in my size that I'll try to hold off on wearing until next season. Current pair is in their 4th season, just replaced the buckles and broken speedlaces.
    FTW.
    These have been the best shoes I've ever used in 30+ years of riding. Been on them since the first models.
    I know shoe fit is very individual but for me they click every box; fit, stiffness, comfort, walkability, and the whole, Shimano shoe mating to Shimano SPD thing is real.
    The devastating news of their demise caused me to look everywhere for one last size 44.
    Found it so I'm good for a few years (or until Shimano comes to their senses and reintroduces them).

Hey, it could happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    which MTB model are you on now for XXX-er? I tried on the recon 2.0 today, tight in the forefoot in the shop anyway
    well mostly they are pretty old at this point, the 1st pair were something from last century buddy thru them in with a new bike, probaly last century also for the 2nd pair bought from a riding bro and the last pair were on a discount table at the spesh dealer are Riata which are not a super high end shoe with 3 velcro tabs but they fit

edit: I got small feet so Riata is actualy a womens shoe from 2015

since i blew my ACL/ bought an E-bike/ became the anti-christ, I broke out the old 661 Axo dually flats and the 5/10 freerides also fit pretty good, on Race Face Chester pedals. I went flat cuz i didn't want that knee connected to the bike off road but I still use SPD on the road

I wana like Shimano which is why I have bought a couple pair but IME Shimano are good for nothing but giving to girlfriends literally YMMV, note that if you are married it might not be a good idea

So your takaway from that might also be that if you got a spesh foot you probably ain't got a shimano foot, a really good question might be what shoe fits like specialized ??
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-19-2024 at 09:27 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks for the shoe ideas, stretching the Giro's fingers crossed, gluing the 2FO's and checking out the Lakes

Just went from 2FO Cliplite that was a few years old and about a 1/2 size too small (my feet swell a bit on longer rides) to a 2FO DH Clip a few weeks ago and am pretty stoked on the move. Part of it has to be the slightly larger shoe (45 vs. a 44 in the Cliplite) but the DH Clip just feels a bit more sturdy and protective. The 2FO DH clip kinda reminds me of the old's cool Shimano DX shoes just without the laces flap, of which I had several pair back in the day and loved so so much. Prior to the 2FOs I was in a Shimano ME7 that I liked pretty well, though I think the 2FO fits my foot better. I've tried a couple Pearl Izumi shoes that I didn't care for, and a Giro Terradura that I *thought* I liked until I got the Shimano shoes and figured out the Terradura was too narrow for my hoof.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Ride Concepts shoe with laces, not that BOA junk.

I usually wear flats on the MTB, but I grabbed a pair of giro sector this spring for drop bar efforts. I like the boa, but the shoes are.... Not the most comfortable things on the ball of my foot. Moving my clear further back helped.
    Shoes breathe pretty well.
    sigless.

Another ME7 guy here. Found a new old stock pair last season to replace my 20 yr old Shimano trail shoes ( I wear flats for gravity).
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Shimano ME5 - lower profile, BOA version of ME7.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Have these as well. Work great, have enough flex for hike-a-bike and were heavily discounted

i'm still rocking sidi dragons with the old ratchet style top buckle and velcro straps and they fit my wide foot really well. i can't even remember how old they are but i've only had to replace the removeable tread once. but the leather upper and carbon sole are still in great shape. i know they are expensive but after you go through 5 pairs of the cheap shoes in the same time it seems very cost effective to me. seems all sidi's use boa now so not sure how reliable those are.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Have these as well. Work great, have enough flex for hike-a-bike and were heavily discounted
    I ordered these also to.try, ultimately I liked the recon fit better but either would have worked. Great shoe

Tried Lake for my fat bike, (winter), now have MTB, and road.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Proving that everyone is different, if my shoes aren't as stiff as a slab of granite I hate em. Flex is evil. But ya gotta find what works for you.

As for fit, maybe it's because of the fact that I'm looking for stone slab to stand on, pretty much anything fits my foot.