Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tommy's boat shop is $500 million in the hole??? How many hoes did that take?

https://www.law360.com/bankruptcy-au...t-bank-default

https://www.denver7.com/news/investi...omers-in-limbo

Seriously, how do you lose that much money running a boat shop? They have huge margin and sell before you get them.

They made a ton during COVID.

I asked the guy at the boat show how much negotiating is there on price? None, the boat will sell in two weeks or less at full price. Most likely there will be none at the end of the show.

What if I pay cash? We make 1.5% more if you finance it.

Just like the bike industry, overbought boats at peak price and now demand has fallen in the toilet… but boats cost $200k not $2k… my dad works for an online boat marketplace that has seen a 40% drop in traffic/searches.

They don't really sit on any inventory.

They take deposits and you wait for them.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    They don't really sit on any inventory.

They take deposits and you wait for them.
    the Malibu lawsuit claims Malibu wanted 25 weeks of inventory in stock on a $155 million floor financing with $110 million unsold.

I know little about them, but a location in Ventura makes no fucking sense.

25 weeks... Malibu must be in the toilet.

The story I got was that Malibu sent a pile of their highest end boats to Tommy's to inflate their stock price. The type of boats that they don't sell a whole lot of. After that the CEO of Malibu either resigned or got fired I don't know which. Tommy's defaulted on their loans and creditors came after them. Tommy's also currently has a lawsuit filed against Malibu and from what I've heard Malibu has cut them off. Tommy's filing for bankruptcy though is news to me.

The amount of $200k wake boats on Lake Granby has exploded in the last few years. It's as is having a $100k pickup payment doesn't squeeze some people nutz enough. Is their dealer of manufacturer financing for these boats?

Is there much securitization in the marine financing industry? I though bullshit collateral got exposed in the financial crisis but maybe not. There will always be yield hogs playing with other people money betting heavy.

Their interest expense on $500M was probably north of $3M per month at today’s rates. No idea what kind of margin there is on boats, but that’s a shit ton of boats to move every month just to pay interest.

Guessing the pool of customers wanting to drop $200k+ on a new boat is somewhat limited?

Also, how much of the pandemic bubble for boats, RV’s, etc, was from PPP loan funds? Guy down the street has a small paving company, he got a new RV trailer, Superduty Tremor and Bronco all back then.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don't know what "small" is you can look up everyone's PPP loans. But yes, floating rate debt in a rising rate environment can be problematic.

BRP (Ski Doo, CanAm, Evinrude) are laying people off and I believe Ski Doo is gonna build 30% less sleds than last year.

Save money, try and keep your job/income stream secure, be strategic and buy shit on sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    The amount of $200k wake boats on Lake Granby has exploded in the last few years. It's as is having a $100k pickup payment doesn't squeeze some people nutz enough.
    Same thing on all the reservoirs here, it's fucking insane. Between the diesel and marina gas the fuel bill each weekend must be pretty impressive, too. Wakesurfing is fun but it's not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fun (for me at least, no disrespect to el jefe, et al).

Boats have always been a great way to spend money. And lots of people have lots of money. But you don't know who's you.

That why I asked about boat loans and defaults. It seems specially special around here. It's Memorial Day (Thanksgiving of Summer) and there is a train of $100k plus offits headed to the lake. It's gonna be 55 and raining.

Oh, E Foil and a pontoon is a better way to have fun.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

And will save you at least $150k in purchase price

I'd love a pontoon boat. Party in the shade on the broad lake where it's colder swimming.

I like your style, Chet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Same thing on all the reservoirs here, it's fucking insane. Between the diesel and marina gas the fuel bill each weekend must be pretty impressive, too. Wakesurfing is fun but it's not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fun (for me at least, no disrespect to el jefe, et al).
    On an overall fun scale it does make more sense than the people dropping $100k+ on a bass boat though.

Reverse mortgages, PPP funds, dealer incentive loans… plus real estate agents, contractors, etc made a ton of money during covid… there was a lot of cash sloshing around.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    On an overall fun scale it does make more sense than the people dropping $100k+ on a bass boat though.
    No argument there.

Tommy's boat shop is $500 million in the hole??? How many hoes did that take?

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I'd love a pontoon boat. Party in the shade on the broad lake where it's colder swimming.
    I used to badmouth pontoon boats, until I bought one. Super versatile, I stripped out the front seats and turned it into a freighter for transporting gear out to my island. When I have passengers I throw a couple of plastic Adirondack chairs up there. Ultimate party boat.

Island dead ahead.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1716728959.946039.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	494152

Borrowed my brothers lawnmower and took it out to my island for the day.

Name:	Image1716729516.553764.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	494153

Sent from my island using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Beer barges FTW

Ed Zachary.

Pontoon boat to your private island! Harry wins again.

The word on the private lake this weekend was Tommy's was supposed to sell 300 boats to get their spiff but only sold 200. That was $2.5 m. If the boats were $300k each and they netted $100k each the 100 they were short was only $10 million, $12 million with the spiff.

I must say I was also at Chatfield and almost every female from 16-30 that wasn't built like a truck must have been issued a thong at the dock. I would love to post pictures if the wife didn't take my phone away.

But the lawnmower pictures are nice too.

Tommy's was aggressively expanding, buying up dealerships all over, so I assume a lot of that was leveraged, and they had a big deal with Malibu due to their size that helped them push out smaller dealers. What I don't get from Malibu, or Tommy's, or some of these "smart" CEO types is how they expected this growth to keep going uncheck like it was during COVID?

Can't say I feel bad for them...

My boat is a 2009 23 LSV. Bought it for 51k 10 years ago and its now worth more LOL. Still gets the job done and looks good though.

Name:	20210911_135524.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	494266
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

My boat is a 2009 23 LSV. Bought it for 51k 10 years ago and its now worth more LOL. Still gets the job done and looks good though.

Name:	20210911_135524.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	494266
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!