Check Out Our Shop

Total Ankle, a kankle story

As the story goes, overshot a jump or 2 in the late 90s. Flat landing shattered the cartilage in my right ankle. Never saw a doctor til a few years later when it started bothering me. Had my first surgery to clean it up and reform cartilage (microfracture). Lasted about 12 years. Got another microfracture circa 2017, lasted about 5 years.

Tried another clean-up and microfracture 2 years ago. It went OK, but it wasn't great. At 45, the law of diminishing returns came into play. We started using hyaluronic acid gel injections every 2 months, and that seemed to help keep the bones from rubbing.
    However, after a bad wipeout (front wheel folded in a corner) that tweeked my ankle, then required a long hike out on a techy trail in stiff clip-in shoes, shit went south.
    My foot was completely numb by the time I stumbled home. Numb, and painful.

I had a trip to Peru, dive trip with kids, a ski season, and a job that requires being somewhat mobile, all in jeopardy.

We treated for nerve entrapment to no avail. An MRI revealed "cysts" on the tibial nerve. A tarsal release surgery revealed globs of joint gel stuck to the nerve. The recent injection had oozed out of the joint capsule and into the tarsal tunnel. This was all washed out, and some feeling has returned.

However, the main problem returned in earnest. My ankle was always swollen, and janky trails hurt.
    The jankle made it thru a shuttle-centered 10-day bike tour de Peru, scuba, an abbreviated ski season, work, and life for 6 months. It was painful and required a lot of icing. Any activity needed a bucket of ice and a celebrex after. I developed a pressure ulcer from walking on the outside of my foot, and structural changes were occurring in my left knee due to my abnormal gait.

So, spring is here, and a more permanent solution was planned.
    Total Ankle replacement. The tech has improved, and a friend had it done. He was quite satisfied.
    Had my 5th ankle surgery, with metal placed, done at a local place from a well-respected surgeon.
    - "My ankles have climbed Everest."
    https://www.wright.com/footandanklep...l-ankle-system
    So today, 7 days post-op, and I'm in a cast, bored out of my mind and wishing I had any other hobbies that didn't require a healthy body. PT can not start soon enough.

I hope this is the solution. My kankle/jankle/mankle has been the limiting factor in my life for the last few years.
    I'm looking forward to some more good years!

Survived a fall/winter of fun things while the kankle deteriorated and controlled my activity level:

Last day on skis with the Littles:
    This day hurt, bigly.

The crash that turned this into a necessity.

The only way I survived the past 6 - 8 months.

Pressure ulcer that developed from my abnormal gait. I could no longer bend my ankle to walk, and it showed.

Joint goo stuck in the tarsal tunnel.

Post op nerve release:

Various other past procedures (also tore some tendons along the way)

Post-Op images:

Take-home nerve block post-op is essential.

Last edited by wkd-rdr; 05-09-2024 at 01:59 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Damn bro. Gnarly story. Hope you heal up well and get back to all the things you love.

Holy Jankle/Mankle indeed. Had no idea TAR was even a thing. Good luck w the healing!

Nice trip report. Both informative and entertaining… good luck with rehab!

You are hereby formally invited to Perú Boogaloo, Part ll. (No Country For Old Men).
    I think Beaterdit is In.
    New trails, but a lot of what we did last time, hopefully you at 100% buzzing my tire!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000004907.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	565.4 KB 
ID:	493348

(This is WKD being a stud, and overcoming serious pain!)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Damn bro. Gnarly story. Hope you heal up well and get back to all the things you love.
    Yeah man, thanks.
    My problem was putting this off. I became adjusted to a chronic injury and went with it.
    I see a future where I remember how to walk properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Holy Jankle/Mankle indeed. Had no idea TAR was even a thing. Good luck w the healing!
    Thanks!
    It's a thing, and it sure beats a fusion, which is what my ankle was doing by itself anyway. The tech is right there with knees/hips.
    I now have the chance of not walking like a caveman for the remainder of my experience on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You are hereby formally invited to Perú Boogaloo, Part ll. (No Country For Old Men)
    I came this close to canceling. But a cortisone shot set me right for a few weeks. What a beautiful place!

The realization that I couldn't clip into my right pedal because my ankle was supinating so badly was the first of many aha moments that led me to this point.