Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for grippiest, non 5-10, platform shoes.

Has anyone been able to break the 5-10 grip (no pun intended) on platform shoes?
    Wife needs to replace her Freerider Pros and was hoping to find an alternate brand that gives comparable grip.
    Surely someone has come up with something as good by now, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Specialized 2FO. Super grippy, but fit quite different (narrower). Their sizing is also weird, so either try on in a store or use their measuring guide online.

I’ll second 2fos.

Nothing. Nothing is as sticky as Five Ten rubber.
    Better off finding the shoe that fits her foot and getting a better pedal.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Thirded on 2FO.

The two that seem to have somewhat caught up with 5-10 are Ride Concept and the aforementioned 2FOs.
    RCs are kinda pricy but with the 2FOs I have the whole "Fuck Specialized" thing.

choices, choices

RC are definitely less grippy than 5.10. As are Shimano, Leatt, everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    RC are definitely less grippy than 5.10. As are Shimano, Leatt, everyone else.
    Is this current 1st hand?
    Because everything I'm reading is saying the new RC max grip and Spec SlipNot are right up there with 5-10 stealth.

Had 5.10 Freeriders, have RC Tallac's now. The 5 10s were "stickier" initially, but wore out in like 3 months of riding. The Tallac is close enough for my uses and I like the beefy toe protection because I am a clutz who bangs my feet into shit constantly. They have also lasted ~6 months of solid riding and hardly look used after a wash at the end of my last riding season.

The 2FO didn't fit me very well either in my experience, but I could only try the half size up from what I usually use.

Really happy with my RC's so i replaced my old ones with 2 new pairs in their old stock sale. Their stick has to be close to 510 and they for sure last waaay better. I'd check their sales

Sent from my SM-S711W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Is this current 1st hand?
    Because everything I'm reading is saying the new RC max grip and Spec SlipNot are right up there with 5-10 stealth.
    I own a pair of RC Tallacs, and used them extensively for about a year. Definitely less grippy. I also had 2 pairs of newer Specialized 2FOs (the trail and DH versions), that I used but gave up on simply due to not fitting my feet.

My comparison of those 3:
    5.10 Stealth S1 (the good stuff on FR Pro and Impact Pro) - quite soft, quite sticky. Works best with grub screws due to the softer rubber, but works fine with pins also. Wears out moderately fast. Ideally for someone with wider feet and just wants the most amount of grip possible, less concerned with durability.
    2FO SlipNot - a bit firmer than Stealth, but slower rebound, and seemingly higher surface grip. They seemed to work a hair better with pins over grubs. If Spec shoes fit my feet, I'd happily use them. Ideally for someone with narrow feet and wants maximum grip and durability.
    RC Max Grip - harder, less surface stickiness than either of the above, but extremely long lasting. Works best with very sharp pins to help dig in. The Tallacs with their moderately stiff sole worked better than their TNT with it's extremely stiff sole, due to needing to take advantage of pedal concavity more. Ideal user: someone who hates 5.10 and Specialized with moderate to wide feet, who walks a lot, and has extremely grippy concave pedals.
    Shimano Ultread (current GF600 shoes) - a bit softer than RC MaxGrip, but not as sticky as SlipNot or Stealth. It seems to rely a lot of grabbing grub screws or pins in between the hex blocks, rather than sticking them into the rubber itself. OK for casual riding, utterly terrifying when wet. Ideal user: someone with wide feet who walks a lot, isn't concerned with maximum traction, and hates 5.10 for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I own a pair of RC Tallacs, and used them extensively for about a year. Definitely less grippy. I also had 2 pairs of newer Specialized 2FOs (the trail and DH versions), that I used but gave up on simply due to not fitting my feet.

My comparison of those 3:
    5.10 Stealth S1 (the good stuff on FR Pro and Impact Pro) - quite soft, quite sticky. Works best with grub screws due to the softer rubber, but works fine with pins also. Wears out moderately fast. Ideally for someone with wider feet and just wants the most amount of grip possible, less concerned with durability.
    2FO SlipNot - a bit firmer than Stealth, but slower rebound, and seemingly higher surface grip. They seemed to work a hair better with pins over grubs. If Spec shoes fit my feet, I'd happily use them. Ideally for someone with narrow feet and wants maximum grip and durability.
    RC Max Grip - harder, less surface stickiness than either of the above, but extremely long lasting. Works best with very sharp pins to help dig in. The Tallacs with their moderately stiff sole worked better than their TNT with it's extremely stiff sole, due to needing to take advantage of pedal concavity more. Ideal user: someone who hates 5.10 and Specialized with moderate to wide feet, who walks a lot, and has extremely grippy concave pedals.
    Shimano Ultread (current GF600 shoes) - a bit softer than RC MaxGrip, but not as sticky as SlipNot or Stealth. It seems to rely a lot of grabbing grub screws or pins in between the hex blocks, rather than sticking them into the rubber itself. OK for casual riding, utterly terrifying when wet. Ideal user: someone with wide feet who walks a lot, isn't concerned with maximum traction, and hates 5.10 for some reason.
    Great review,
    Thanks. She has very narrow feet, hence the 5-10 exclusion. Sounds like Spec might be the way to go for her.

4th on 2FO’s, love em! Grippy and supportive. They fit my narrow heel well, haven’t had a sole delam on 2FO’s like I had on my freerider pros.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

One more option that I've heard is up there either on par with or just below 5.10 & Spec are the Fox Union flats. I haven't personally ridden them though - bought a pair, tried them on (painfully narrow), and returned them without riding. There's a review of the BOA version up on NSMB today, and I think Vital reviewed the lace-up version.

When my wife transitioned to platform MTB shoes, her first pair were RC's and the shoes were decent but the fit was a bit snug in the toes and the grip was so so. The RC's didn't vent either. Anyway a few months ago she got a pair of LIV MTB shoes by Giant. good price point and overall a way better shoe than her RC's. More durable, vents, very sticky and durable sole. Worth looking at IMO and hers too.

As a specialized shoe fanboi ( I have 3 pair ) I can say their mtb shoes fit narrow in the heel, snug on the instep and wide in the toes
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-07-2024 at 11:42 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have Etnies; they are amazing. A bit stiffer than 5-10's.

The Etnie's look interesting and a few types and sizes are 60% off right now. Do you have the model with the built in sock thing or not supermodel159?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    As a specialized shoe fanboi ( I have 3 pair ) I can say their mtb shoes fit narrow in the heel, snug on the instep and wide in the toes
    This is spot on from my experience as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    The Etnie's look interesting and a few types and sizes are 60% off right now. Do you have the model with the built in sock thing or not supermodel159?
    My buddy has the etnies with the built in sock, mine don't. There are a couple of trails I do locally that require stream crossings; I didn't want the internal lining. My buddy to generally rides only at Mammoth in the summer, loves the internal sock, it keeps all of the moon dust and kitty litter out of the shoe, way better than without the lining.

I posted my thoughts on the Fox Union Canvas Flat here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...56#post7089956

Northwave Clans have been holding up great and the grip is good. Good stiff sole and good support.

WRT the 2FOs fitting weird... my experience is that the weird sizing is limited to the Roost model. Both myself and Teh Spousal Unit™ had to go a full size bigger in that shoe than any other Spec shoe and our previous shoes. For her, that was 5.10s and for me it was Shimano, Giro, Spec, etc. Both flat and clip versions of the Roost seem to be not true to size.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Interesting...my friend warned me of the roosts fitting weird, my 2FO DHs seem to fit pretty normal.

Sorry to hijack, but semi-related: is there such a thing as a shoe I can use to clip in on the way up and wear as a flat on the way down? I got tired of swapping my pedals back and forth, and switched to a pair of these: https://ride.shimano.com/products/pd-eh500

Yeah, the flat side is not like my Crank Stamps, but my goal would be to have the best of both worlds. I like the power of clipless on the way up, and man I really grew to like flats on the descent recently.