Which rollers should I buy?

Well it's about that time of year....uh...for skiing, yeah that's it, skiing, and indoor training. I need to buy some rollers because they're slightly less boring than a trainer, I've looked on RBR and found a couple that will work. Budget isn't a huge issue because I want something nice, but on the other hand, don't want to break the bank. After reading, I think Kreitler rollers are the way to go, but don't know which model. I want some resistance, but not a ton, so I'm not sure if the Dyno-myte is what I want. Anybody ridden these, also looking at the Dyno-Lyte. What suggestions?

Kreitler is definetly the best choice. Dyno-mite if you've used rollers before, if not the Dyno-lites will be fine.
    It's heartbreaking to see a chick who's too anorexic.

Tip: e-bay has tons of rollers
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Can using rollers for the first time be a painfull experience, or is it pretty easy to get going on them?
    I stay up all night, I go to sleep watching dragnet

check out the new continental roller tire, it's gotten rave reviews and isn't too costly.

Phil, if an unmarked box van pulls along side you on your next ride, and ski masked thugs jump out and grab you, don't resist, it's just friends who care about you. The de-programming will be mostly painless.

Quote Originally Posted by flykdog
    Phil, if an unmarked box van pulls along side you on your next ride, and ski masked thugs jump out and grab you, don't resist, it's just friends who care about you. The de-programming will be mostly painless.
    Yeah, about that: I'm having a hard time finding rental vans with no windows like you requested, Flyk. Let me know if tinted windows are close enough.

EXTRACTION TEAM LEADER X9

I use a pair of Cycle-Ops PVC rollers, great for working on developing a higher cadence, but for indoor intervals I turn to a turbo-trainer.

i have cycle ops aluminum rollers with the magnet bar thingie for resistance. i have logged about 400 miles on them over the past year or so and like them. definitely more interesting than a trainer and really improves your riding when you are back on the road. i like mine and they aren't nearly as expensive as the kreitlers i think. fyi - mine were assembled improperly in the box. you can't get the put-your-head-down-and-spin-your-brains-out you get with a trainer, but after 30 minutes i am beat - takes a good amount of balance and focus to stay ok. falling off is no big deal either - your wheels are spinning but once they touch the ground they stop - no intertia behind them - so you can just put your foot down and not have to worry about slamming on the breaks or running into your tv.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Kreitlers are nice, but the bitch is you have to buy the frame and rollers separately, and they are unbelivably expensive. I had a chance to spin on a pair and didnt notice much of a difference from the cycle-ops. I'd buy a pair of cycle-ops, and then with the money saved, you can almost buy a really nice 1-up trainer.

So I think I've decided on the Kreitler Dyno-Lyte, there are a couple pairs on ebay. I already have a trainer and want to throw it against the wall after about 90 minutes, rollers I can last a little longer, but will need to be able to log 3 hour rides on them during mid-winter if it's not dry out or if work hours don't permit outside riding.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    falling off is no big deal either - ... - so you can just put your foot down and not have to worry about slamming on the brakes or running into your tv.
    Hehe! I remember a minor incident involving me, my buddy's Kestrel and a ruined entertainment center due to someone passing me a phatty during a kegger in a lifetime long ago...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover
    Hehe! I remember a minor incident involving me, my buddy's Kestrel and a ruined entertainment center due to someone passing me a phatty during a kegger in a lifetime long ago...
    Ok, so you were riding someone else's expensive carbon bike on rollers, watching TV, drinking a beer (presumably, because you're at a kegger), and trying to hit a spliff, while a party is going on around you?

Can you tell me next time you have a party?
    It's heartbreaking to see a chick who's too anorexic.

It's that very same ability to paint a picture with words that allows me to double the numbers of the other salespeople at the shop I work at

Like I said though, different lifetime. One where we all had a full head of hair and apparently very little common sense

Quote Originally Posted by Telephil
    3 hour rides on them
    Yowzah dude. I want your autograph if you can ride on rollers for 3 hours. That's like riding down a 18 inch hallway for 60+ miles.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by Telephil
    ...but will need to be able to log 3 hour rides on them during mid-winter if it's not dry out or if work hours don't permit outside riding.
    phunk, flyk: just give me the word and I'll help with the van...

Quote Originally Posted by Particle
    phunk, flyk: just give me the word and I'll help with the van...
    I call driver

Shotgun biatches!

Who's riding harpoon?

any opinios on tacx? also, which cycleops? mag?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    Yowzah dude. I want your autograph if you can ride on rollers for 3 hours. That's like riding down a 18 inch hallway for 60+ miles.

Or throwing a hotdog down a hallway for 3 hours.

While I will admit, 3 hours is a long time (longest I've been able to stay sane is 2), this guy on my team, he gets up at 3:30 AM and spends 4 hours on the trainer prior to going to work. INSANE, to add to that however, he is about 50 and easily one of the top ten non-pro riders in the state, probably top 5.