Check Out Our Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Paris tips

Really enjoyed the Musée Marmottan when we were there in '99. They had "Impression Sunrise" by Monet which was the most striking painting I've ever seen.

At the musee d’orsay the painting of Cain (son of Adam and Eve) stopped me in my tracks. Just incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
    Only thing I'd add to the "just wander around" advice is "wander around on a bike" if you can swing it with the GF and her mom. Or without them.

There are lots of bike share / rental opportunities (e.g., Lime and Velib ). The city has made a strong commitment to bike infrastructure (see e.g. https://sf.streetsblog.org/2023/05/0...-is-incroyable). Feels much safer than most big cities I've biked in. And it's a great way to cover ground, people watch, get off the beaten path. I found myself on a bike following Canal St Martin (near Place de Republic) a couple years back - would never have found it on foot.
    I cycled in Paris for a couple days just in awe of the place. If you can hit an outdoor market like the Marche Villette on a Saturday it is a must. Street food was amazing and lots of old cool stuff along with amazing people watching.

Paris fashion game is on point even on a bike !
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    Paris fashion game is on point even on a bike !
    This. Your Boulder Carhartts, Merrell hikers, and FS hoodie won’t cut it unless you want to have everyone look at you with pure distain. I recommend a fresh pair of black jeans that fit well, some proper shoes, and a sport coat of some sort with a collared shirt.

And black leather shoes, not gym shoes, if you want to get into a club.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Paris tips

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    This. Your Boulder Carhartts, Merrell hikers, and FS hoodie won’t cut it unless you want to have everyone look at you with pure distain. I recommend a fresh pair of black jeans that fit well, some proper shoes, and a sport coat of some sort with a collared shirt.
    x2

In the third arrondisement is an amazing museum partially housed in a gothic church, le Musée des Arts et Métiers. Arts and Crafts, wiki says Industrial Design, it’s essentially old tech like Foucault’s Pendulem, architectural models, steam stuff, widgets and gadgets. The French were innovative engineers, scientists and designers and this modest museum highlights all the cool old stuff, the bigger newer stuff is in a massive museum on the outskirts of town.

Place des Vosges is a great place to park yourself at a café and people watch.

You might want to read a bit about the Paris Commune, Franco Prussian War, why Paris has those majestic grand boulevards, and where did all those bones in the catacombs come from.

The metro is efficient and some of the stations are unique. The Louvre stop has some repro pieces, the Arts et Metiers stop looks like you’re in a Jules Verne steam punk submarine. Some metro stations look the same as when they were new. As cool and efficient as the metro is it’s mostly underground. The buses are slower but they provide great views of the city

Great town. Have fun.

Apres Sacre Coeur
    https://www.daliparis.com/

Came for the Paris tits, but got distracted.

French Whores are the best whores

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    French Whores are the best whores
    Because…?

They're all up from farm leagues someplace else?

Here’s a nice apartment w 2 bedrooms and an elevator in the 2nd (https://www.airbnb.com/slink/0zfG9ov5). Great quiet street, walking distance to stores, Rue Montorgueil, les Halles, the Marais etc etc.
    And if it rains, check out the galeries (https://www.gpsmycity.com/directory/...ages-1158.html) - covered arcades stuffed w cafes, funky stores, cool architecture. Galerie Vivienne has a cool bistro too

a few thoughts:
    - When you walk into a shop/cafe/restaurant/whatever, say "bonjour" before starting the conversation and asking them for whatever it is you want.
    - If you can speak any French at all, try to open the conversation with as much French as possible and let the French person decide if they're going to try their English on you, rather than just speaking English at them. These two minor politenesses probably relieve most French vs English tourist grumpiness.
    - Try a North African restaurant - Moroccan, Algerian, etc.
    - Musée Marmottan, as mentioned earlier. It's far enough off the beaten path that the tourist traffic should be much less, although the only time I went was many years ago and things could have changed.