Check Out Our Shop

Bike jong broken front derailleur?

Haven't ridden this bike in 2y. Bought it a few years ago and put a few hundred miles on it then it sat. I got on it today to go for a quick cruise along the river and the front derailleur wouldn't shift into the big ring. Further inspection in the garage revealed the broken part in the pic.

Imma total bike jong who was just looking to diversify away from running a little for some extra cardio. Can anyone tell me if I can replace this thing easily on my own? And, if so, can you point me to the correct one to buy? Or should I just suck it up and pay my local bike shop to fix it and give it a tune up? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000002717-01.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	492723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000002718-01.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	492724
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'm not seeing what's broken?

Does the derailleur move when you shift? Like is it moving, just not far enough to get it up to the big ring?

I think the broken piece is the lower front edge of the cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

the piece of metal between the 2 big silver colored rivets is broken

A front der is sposed to use a paralelogram to keep the guide paralell with the chain

probably the bike needs a tune, the chain is very rusty
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have the same front der. Yes, metal bit in second pic is broken. Pic for reference (excuse tha cat hair)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240401_175537681 (1).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	492734

Just take it to your lbs for a new one, it's a ~40 -50$ part, plus installation.

There might be an actual model number stamped on it somewhere, but that's like a $25 part and pretty easy to replace yourself with simple tools and set up with a youtube video.

It is probably this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-R2000...id=66485480062

And I believe the clamp-mount versions of that are one-size-fits-all and you just use a shim to fit whatever size tube your bike has.

Your chain looks due for a replacement...if that is a 2x8, you're only talking $10-15. Here's a random one:
    https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Chain-Z8-...%2C140&sr=1-18

Only specialized tool you'd need is a chain breaker to size the chain and remove the old one (if it doesn't have a master/quick link).

Thanks all! I ordered the one singles linked. Will report back once it arrives so you guys can giggle while I try to install and adjust it.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

there are probably 10000000 FD in a parts bin at the local bike kitchen or even a LBS

Figured you guys would be amused to hear my progress. I got the derailleur. Got a cheap chain tool. Got a cheap chain. Took the old chain off, which didn't have a master link, and sized the new one but then I boogered up the new chain by pushing the pin all the way out on one of the links I needed. So when I put it back together the chain had a link that didn't rotate freely which caused the rear derailleur to skip when it went past. I also spent a solid hour trying to adjust the front derailleur and couldn't get the cable tension right which caused it to rub the chain in certain gear combos.

At that point I admitted defeat and I brought it to the lbs who, understandably, is swamped cuz it's spring and said it wouldn't be ready for a week and a half. But they're only gonna charge me fifty bucks (hopefully). When it's all said and done I'll be into this for about a hundo and the bike will be running right again. Should be ready late next week. Lbs could see I'm a noob and we're super nice.

Should I bring the bike tech a pint or two of fresh IPA when I pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Should I bring the bike tech a pint or two of fresh IPA when I pick it up?
    Yes, always.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Too late now obviously, but you can use the different "levels" on the chain tool to finesse the pin back to where it is supposed to be. Even my crappy multi-tool chain breaker has two sets of levels/fins/shelves/whatever you call them.

Basically, if you fit the chain into the lower "shelf" you will press the pin against the outer links and tighten the joint. If you put it on the higher shelf, you will press the pin out of the link on top while not pressing it out of the the plates on the lower side thus loosening the joint. Usually I press the pin back in on the lower shelf and then flip it over and give it a tiny push on the other side in the upper shelf to get it moving freely.

Modern 11/12sp chains aren't really made for this, but it works fine on fatter chains and is what people did before quick links existed.

Sorry, I couldn't find a good picture of video explaining it so hopefully that makes sense.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/repairs.html. Good for old school stuff