Check Out Our Shop

Wanted: cheap disc brakes

I'm building up a shitbike for Mrs C - - a leave it at the campground, lock it up without fear type of bike. It's a flat bar hybrid.

It came to me with a lot of corrosion and rust, and I think the brakes may be shot. They're Tektro Draco hydraulics, and I can't get the pistons to retract further into their bores - - they have that feel like someone squeezed the levers while the wheels were off the bike. The pistons rub the discs and lever movement immediately touches the disc. I tried prying against the pads with screwdrivers to push the pistons back, but it's not working adequately.

So, anyone have any old disc brakes you don't want? Cable brakes would be ideal. The cheaper the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just got a set of Shimano MT200 front and rear for $33 delivered from Aliexpress. Should be perfect for a commuter bike.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Some promax solves (I think that’s the model) are yours for price of shipping.

Will definitely need new barbs and olives, possibly need longer hoses as they came off my wife’s bike and I had to cut the ends to get it out of the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Just got a set of Shimano MT200 front and rear for $33 delivered from Aliexpress. Should be perfect for a commuter bike.
    Do they look real? I was eyeballing some BB7s on Aliexpress and wondering if they're fake.

That could be the way to go, thanks.

I fiddled with the stuck Tektro hydraulics more yesterday, and may have freed them up. I'm waiting for a friend to get back in town - he has some new pads that fit these, which I'll need to see if I can get them working. One of the pads on Mrs C brakes fell off the backing plate - - I suspect too much rust.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Some promax solves (I think that’s the model) are yours for price of shipping.

Will definitely need new barbs and olives, possibly need longer hoses as they came off my wife’s bike and I had to cut the ends to get it out of the frame.
    Thanks - it might be cheaper to get the brakes working if I go the cable brake route from Aliexpress. But I appreciate the offer.

The ones I just got seem real, though still in the box and not sure I could tell the difference. I got another set through Aliexpress a few years back (don't remember what those cost, but they were cheap) and those work well.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I've paid around 25-30 a piece for the MT200s on Amazon before for faster delivery and/or easier return. Have a few pair running on dirt jumpers and kids bikes.

I've got a BNIB set of Hayes stroker gram brakes that have been gathering dust.
    Having trouble uploading a photo, but try this link, or shoot me a PM.
    https://imgur.com/a/A0r1IMQ