Check Out Our Shop

Achilles Tear - Best SLC PT recs?

I have a physical therapist near my house in SLC, but I'm curious if anyone has specific recs for someone that can help me work extra hard to recover from an achilles tear? Surgery scheduled at the U for next Wednedsay, but just want to make sure i have full recovery by fall 2024.

Of all things, I was taken out by a kid on a green connector, on the one day in the year I'd ever venture to Deer Valley to ski with visiting relatives.

actually - nevermind...this question was kinda answered in another thread very recently about general recs.

But, if anyone has any recommendations specific to achilles, please let me know.

Go easy. The last thing you want to do is work it too hard after surgery and when your boot comes off. It will set you back on your recovery. It’s a long slow road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Oy, ruptured Achilles is no joke.
    No weight bearing 5 weeks.

You can get a walker, place it in the shower backwards, and then you can use it as a hip leaner/cradle and relax in the shower.

And when sitting you use your crutch as a bridge from the chair to the floor and place your leg apon it for support.

Get a vest of many pockets (some big pockets too, cause your not carrying shit in your hands).
    Even heard tell of a water bottle cage being attached to a crutch.

Pray for percutaneous surgery.

Good luck!
    watch out for snakes

Vacoped Achilles boot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderedImage.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	824.8 KB 
ID:	488959

I cannot recommend this more highly.
    My recovery was much smoother with this boot than without.
    -I have direct experience 2x, you will ski fast again without worry, the work you do now makes all the difference.

https://opedmedical.com/product/vaco...achilles-boot/

Contact Mrs SFB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Go easy. The last thing you want to do is work it too hard after surgery and when your boot comes off. It will set you back on your recovery. It’s a long slow road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Very much this.
    When I did mine, I initially took the “do double what the PT sez” approach. Over the rehab period I spent prolly three weeks dealing with setbacks from this stupid idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Vacoped Achilles boot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderedImage.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	824.8 KB 
ID:	488959

I cannot recommend this more highly.
    My recovery was much smoother with this boot than without.
    -I have direct experience 2x, you will ski fast again without worry, the work you do now makes all the difference.

https://opedmedical.com/product/vaco...achilles-boot/
    Wow - should I just suggest this to the doctor after Wednesday's surgery? I have a simliar boot on right now with a bunch of foam wedges in it to keep my toe pointed down. But, I haven't had the surgery yet (it's Wednesday at the U).

Also - I'm hearing from folks that I really need to listen to the body on this one and not push it too. I've kinda gotten to the point of accepting that MTB is not in the cards for the summer and probably not fall. But for skiing by next fall? I'm hoping to be back to normal by then...or better than normal.

TBH, I'm fairly confident this happened due to an adverse reaction to an antibiotic called Cipro that can cause achilles rupture. Took it a while back and the achilles has never been the same since, despite a lot of care and attention. Ticking time bomb. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Contact Mrs SFB
    Who is that?