Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 134
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    beaverhead county
    Posts
    4,624

    school me on coyote management/extermination

    One of my adult labs fucked around and found out with a coyote right off my back porch tonight. Got a nip on the tail as she was retreating inside but no worse for wear. She is current on her shots and I cleaned up the puncture so she is all good but I've got a six month old pup who i fear would not have fared so well. Also concerning is the fact that the fucker stuck around for a bit before ducking off with his buddies. All 3 dogs were honed in on a few different spots out back today so I figure they were probably in the yard last night.

    I've seen daytime stragglers and heard a few yelling in the past two months but never known them to be on the property before now. A siren went by a few minutes ago and I heard the whole pack for the first time. I'd guess there were ten different yappers no more than 200 yards off my back porch. Dogs will be on leashes at night for now but I'd rather this not be something I have to worry about going forward. Also, the offending coyote is huge. Far and away the biggest I've ever seen. Thought it was my neighbor's malamute at first glance.

    So where do I go from here? I'm outside of city limits and got nobody for a quarter mile out the back. Do I bait them and shoot whichever comes onto the property first? Is it even worth it to kill one or two if I can't get them all? Mitigation strategies? This aggression will not stand, man.
    swing your fucking sword.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    beaverhead county
    Posts
    4,624
    And will pissing on my self help my stealth or do I need coyote piss?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Planning an exit
    Posts
    5,933
    I don't agree with killing them but either way you forgot the third S of SSS by posting this thread.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    4,354
    It’s mating season, and seems your yard is the honeymoon suite. It will pass in a couple weeks.

    Or go medieval and start shooting. You might be lucky getting one unless you go with night vision. But they will get the message after a few close calls. Sucks to kill them for the reason they are there though. Be thankful you aren’t a rancher with calving/lambing season starting.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    256
    i've read that going after yotes hard will ultimately lead to more coyotes. they recognize less coyotes are in the area and will breed earlier/larger litters... although im not sure how much truth there is to that.

    that being said im not against anyone going after yotes, just do it humanely as possible. i never like hearing about people who will just run over yotes with sleds til they die. thats fucked

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,894
    Upgrade to a Great Pyrenees and/or Anatolian Shepherd. Then it shall be the COYOTES that will FAFO. For real. Those dogs don't screw around. At our farm, we used to hear those coyotes come yipping and howling right up to the house causing all sorts of ruckus, getting the livestock all freaked out of course. Got a few of the above dogs. Boom. Problem solved.

    Was amazing. We'd be chilling out by the fire on a quiet, cold night. Dogs would be chilling by our side. We'd hear a snort from a pig or a yip from a coyote coming from the woods. You'd see the dogs pop their heads up, full alert, and just go hauling ass right into the darkness. Shut those bastards up REAL quick. Sometimes we'd come across the occasional dead coyote that the dogs straight up tore a new one. Now those guys don't come anywhere NEAR the house any longer. They've learned apparently. Haha. Now the cats and other animals are all WAY safer for it.

    Sorry your pup got hurt tho. Poor lil feller.

    Sent from my Pixel 8 using TGR Forums mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    beaverhead county
    Posts
    4,624
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I don't agree with killing them but either way you forgot the third S of SSS by posting this thread.
    shit shower shave?
    swing your fucking sword.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    4,354
    Shoot, shovel, shut up

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    7,266
    If there's nothing to eat and you harass them, particularly with noise, they won't hang around. Much.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sandy, sl,ut
    Posts
    9,323
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    And will pissing on my self help my stealth or do I need coyote piss?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Piss directly on the coyote. Make eye contact. You've got to pin it down first. After that it won't do shit to you and yours. You've got to tell it you're an alpha male though.


    I had a blue heeler german shepard mix that got ambushed by 3 coyotes in the dark when he was 14, already going blind and deaf, and teeth kind of worn down to nubs. i couldn't see shit, as I was under a streetlight and they were in the dark just beyond, but a cacophony of coyote hunting yells erupts but near instantly changes obviously to coyotes yelping in pain, seemingly simultaneously. Dogface comes trotting out of the dark, head held high, covered in blood and slobber, bloody coyote fur wedged between every single one of his teeth, but without a scratch on him. By the tracks and the yells I could tell it was three of them, and by the blood, could tell he got a pretty good piece of at least two of them. No idea how much was him just getting lucky, but he was a super strong tough dog.

    So, get more dogs.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

    "I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

    Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    beaverhead county
    Posts
    4,624
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Piss directly on the coyote. Make eye contact. You've got to pin it down first. After that it won't do shit to you and yours. You've got to tell it you're an alpha male though.
    is that how you control your subservients at the commune? or is that a privilege they earn for good behavior?
    swing your fucking sword.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    7,485
    I've shot plenty of coyotes, usually on orders from ranchers. I would rather not but thems the rules. I've called in a few, but that's more of a game setting up and wind, etc.

    If you want to just scare them off, they know what getting shot at is and will learn pretty quick where they're not welcome. The snap of a .223 going over their heads sends a pretty clear message. Coyotes around here usually have a pretty healthy distaste of being around people because they know it usually means getting shot at. I'm all for reminding them what the stakes are with some 3400 fps reminders.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    beaverhead county
    Posts
    4,624
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I've shot plenty of coyotes, usually on orders from ranchers. I would rather not but thems the rules. I've called in a few, but that's more of a game setting up and wind, etc.

    If you want to just scare them off, they know what getting shot at is and will learn pretty quick where they're not welcome. The snap of a .223 going over their heads sends a pretty clear message. Coyotes around here usually have a pretty healthy distaste of being around people because they know it usually means getting shot at. I'm all for reminding them what the stakes are with some 3400 fps reminders.
    word. i dont want to shoot one either, but i really dont one going after my dogs, specially the puppy. i've got a pellet gun somewhere. that seems prudent. but i'll keep the pea shooter by the door for shock and awe.

    anything that ya'll know works for hands-off mitigation?
    swing your fucking sword.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    7,266
    I spent some time near Amsterdam NY (upstate as fuck around there) about 10 years ago, coyotes were crazy thick around there. Packs of them, it was amazing. All the farmhouses had fenced enclosures off the back door so they could let the dogs out at night without them getting killed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    7,266
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post

    anything that ya'll know works for hands-off mitigation?
    They really don't like loud noise, you could work with that with a motion sensor maybe but it would be annoying

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    7,485
    Yeah, I know some unbelievably cruel methods involving traps, and also bait, treble hooks, some really fucked up shit that I won't share because it makes me hate humans more than I already do.

    If protection animals like anatolians isn't in the picture, you're going to have to get involved.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
    Posts
    3,808
    A few years ago I had a coyote problem. I found a great product to use around the home. You can pick it up at Canadian Tire and many other stores. It costs about $1 per use and when placed properly, is 100% effective. There are a number of different applicators available, so make sure you get the right one. My applicator uses the 3.06 variant.


    I used a corolla bumper once too.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sandy, sl,ut
    Posts
    9,323
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    is that how you control your subservients at the commune? or is that a privilege they earn for good behavior?
    Bit o collum a bit o collum b. A lesson I learned from my middle school teacher, Ruth, as that sometimes, to treat different people fairly, you have to treat them differently.

    She was a sweet old lady. I should look her up and let her know how i put her lessons to good use with my devotees.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

    "I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

    Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    9,208
    I'm your guy for coyote war strategies. Baiting is illegal in a lot of states so I'd be really careful on that. And you'll never eradicate them. Your best bet is to educate them to stay away from your area.

    Buy one of those Foxpros or a similar electronic call. They are generally super active this time of year and should respond well. They also have full coats, which make them look bigger.

    Dig in and show no quarter. They're the asshole of the animal world and deserve to die.



    Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    18,593
    Get a good thermal.
    watch out for snakes

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    18,593
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_Resized_Screenshot_20240223_072139_Chrome_1708690904450_1708690927561_1708690936584.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	487889
    watch out for snakes

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,329
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Upgrade to a Great Pyrenees and/or Anatolian Shepherd. Then it shall be the COYOTES that will FAFO. For real. Those dogs don't screw around. At our farm, we used to hear those coyotes come yipping and howling right up to the house causing all sorts of ruckus, getting the livestock all freaked out of course. Got a few of the above dogs. Boom. Problem solved.

    Was amazing. We'd be chilling out by the fire on a quiet, cold night. Dogs would be chilling by our side. We'd hear a snort from a pig or a yip from a coyote coming from the woods. You'd see the dogs pop their heads up, full alert, and just go hauling ass right into the darkness. Shut those bastards up REAL quick. Sometimes we'd come across the occasional dead coyote that the dogs straight up tore a new one. Now those guys don't come anywhere NEAR the house any longer. They've learned apparently. Haha. Now the cats and other animals are all WAY safer for it.

    Sorry your pup got hurt tho. Poor lil feller.

    Sent from my Pixel 8 using TGR Forums mobile app
    This local good boy just won Farm Dog of the Year for protecting his urban sheep flock (why are there sheep in the city) and killed 8 of the attacking yotes.

    Took a beating and lost his tail and went walkabout for a couple days to heal up but thanks to his rescue hospital made a full recovery. All his prize money went to help other pups with med bills too. Good dog.

    https://www.11alive.com/amp/article/...4-11b72900e5f3
    I still call it The Jake.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine Coast
    Posts
    4,713
    I skied bandini mountain has the right answer. A rifle shot usually keeps them at bay.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    8,364
    Cleo loves playing with Rocky on the weekends. During the week she’s a ranch dog and a cold blooded killer.
    She’s killed three coyotes so far.


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    15,606
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I'm your guy for coyote war strategies. Baiting is illegal in a lot of states so I'd be really careful on that. And you'll never eradicate them. Your best bet is to educate them to stay away from your area.

    Buy one of those Foxpros or a similar electronic call. They are generally super active this time of year and should respond well. They also have full coats, which make them look bigger.

    Dig in and show no quarter. They're the asshole of the animal world and deserve to die.



    Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    Didn’t/Don’t you also keep a llama to protect your critters from ‘yotes?

    They are survivors. When pack size declines females start dropping more pups per litter. I’m convinced the only creatures remaining after the Apocalypse will be cockroaches, coyotes, Cher and Keith Richards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •