Check Out Our Shop
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I was messaging with Marshal...he says he's updating the R120 profile slightly, so it has the same tip and tail heights as the FR120, but less splay at the tip/tail widepoints (.4cm vs .8cm). Standard rec mount on the 180 R120 will be -7cm and on the 180 FR120 will be -6cm. Given I love the 180 FR 110, at 84cm from tail (-5.8cm) but I wouldn't want to be any further forward in pow, I'm thinking a 180 R120 Swallowtail with its long, low rocker (flat underfoot?) could be the better ski in my quiver than the FR 120. I enjoyed many years on 2 pairs of Faction Candide 5.0's (and before that Candide Royales) which all were 122mm and had flat underfoot.

Ya I think I gotta do it.

KC
    I think the R120 is the move with your FR110. The updated rocker for the Rs will perfect that ski. Having the flat underfoot makes the much better if you end up in something steep shitty and scraped.

Heritage Lab Swallowtails (R, FR, & BC)

Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    I think the R120 is the move with your FR110. The updated rocker for the Rs will perfect that ski. Having the flat underfoot makes the much better if you end up in something steep shitty and scraped.
    Agreed...we ski steep and sketch and a little more grip might come in handy.

Just did it.

R120 ordered.

Pumped.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-07-2024 at 02:30 PM.

I was sleeping on the r105 and r110 and r120 when they were being discussed and made and sold, so i am not 100% in the know about them, but my understanding was that they just used the same rocker profile from the fl113, which i have been on and spoken about quite a bit for 2 seasons. That rocker profile was made to match that ski's extremely large radius sidecut, so i was never quite sure it would fit with the much smaller radii of the r110 and r120 (and to a lesser extent the r105). The fl113 is a super rear mounted, stiff and straight ski, whereas the 110 and 120 are medium flexing, medium radii, and halfway between traditional and progressive mount. I have skied the fl105 and fr120 (and very briefly the fr110), and i think those camber and rocker profiles were pretty optimized to their shape and flex and mount points, moreso than an fl113 profile, which is a mix of rage straight and scrub sideways. The 105 shape is a mix of carve across the fall line and rage straight down the fall line it, so i like the camber but could see the r105 being pretty sweet too. Whereas the 110 and 120 are about drifting and slashing from a moderately upright stance, with some carve and float built in, so i never fully understood the fl113 profile. This updated r120 sounds promising

I'd love to see a visual representation of the new R120ST profile.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'd love to see a visual representation of the new R120ST profile.

yeah yeah.

I love the fr110 so Im going 194fr120 at the moment.

All this conjecture on a ski most folks haven’t skied. I personally don’t want any change on the R120 Swallowtail

Quote Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
    All this conjecture on a ski most folks haven’t skied. I personally don’t want any change on the R120 Swallowtail
    Same.

Ahoy!

yes, the R120 And R110 production skis are the same as the beta skis under foot and inside the edges. I added a little kick in the tail (off the snow). I am sending a tech email via newsletter on it in the coming weeks.

Cheers

People all seem to like the r120 when they ride them, but I kept asking marshal (multiple times) to press an fl113 in the c113 mold for a bit more rise in the rocker profile. His response was twofold: first the ski was designed to match the sidecut and rocker and it would be too much of a compromise to change the rocker like that, and second fiberglass doesn't press like carbon so it wouldn't have the c113 profile anyway. Long story short: it seemed really odd to me that he took the skis with the most different flex, sidecut, mount point, and skiing style than the fl113 and pressed them with the same rocker. Like i said, people all seem to like it, but i can imagine there is room to optimize that design with its own rocker profile

You have a lot of strong opinions on skis you haven’t skied yet. Maybe try a r120 then post about how it needs to change

You have a lot of strong opinions on skis you haven’t skied yet. Maybe try a r120 then post about how it needs to change
    i said it seemed odd to combine a certain rocker profile designed for skis at one extreme to a flex/sidecut/mount originally designed at the other extreme. And then i said i could imagine how there would probably be some room to evolve upon that when, in fact, the skis are actually being changed for some reason. Not sure how strong those opinions are. So you like em. Most people like them so far. And most people will probably continue to like the new ones. I've ridden every single currently available HL freeride ski so far except the r105/r110/r120 and there haven't been any stinkers yet. I know they know what they're doing

Edit to add that I am also aware that you played some part in the r120, so you probably know some things too. I'm just not sure how anything i've said is contentious in any way. I never said it wouldn't work.

Need to get some swallow tails and move on from the supergoats!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by chewski View Post
    i said it seemed odd to combine a certain rocker profile designed for skis at one extreme to a flex/sidecut/mount originally designed at the other extreme. And then i said i could imagine how there would probably be some room to evolve upon that when, in fact, the skis are actually being changed for some reason. Not sure how strong those opinions are. So you like em. Most people like them so far. And most people will probably continue to like the new ones. I've ridden every single currently available HL freeride ski so far except the r105/r110/r120 and there haven't been any stinkers yet. I know they know what they're doing

Edit to add that I am also aware that you played some part in the r120, so you probably know some things too. I'm just not sure how anything i've said is contentious in any way. I never said it wouldn't work. It was a curious origin story and probably not the final chapter
    So I am super pleased with how the R110 and R120 turned out. They are both super fun skis. The only reason for this small change is to open up their mount window a little, as these first ones ski sick around -8.5 to -9, but weren’t very forgiving going outside that.

these skis were intended to be a one off limited edition (the “beta release” this Jan), but were so popular and had so much interest on the preorder, they are now planned to be mainline skis.

I would have likely wanted the FR120, but with the slight changes to the R120 (more kick in tail and -7cm mount on the 180cm) I’m in.

The last 5/7 ski days I’ve been on the FR110….and I’ve stopped thinking about other skis. The HL skis are that good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-07-2024 at 05:53 PM.

So the R110 and R120 that were preordered for Fall '24 will have these changes? Is there an update profile sketch?

Yes, I am working on the tech newsletter for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Yes, I am working on the tech newsletter for it
    Did this newsletter go out yet?

got the Tech Update email ... man, that R profile looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    got the Tech Update email ... man, that R profile looks good.

Ya it does look really good. I’m excited for my R120’s mounted @ -7cm next winter. After I got my FR110’s dialed I didn’t want to ski anything else in my quiver.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah I got the email right after I sent that.

Marshall-- douche your inbox.