Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbrother49 View Post
    Hey guys, I got some time in the new one as well.

As Wasatch stated, there is no adjustment for the forward lean. It is now a boot with 14* forward lean.

Instep is 1mm higher, IMO it takes away the aggressive "shark bite" instep pressure where the instep would bend into the upper cuff. Makes it a lot easier to get on as well.

Toe box is "modern" like a Cochise/Mach 1....longer toe area in the 1st and 2nd met heads, and most important, sixth toe area is shaped like a foot, not a Kleenex box.

Range of motion went 55* to 60*. It is very apparent in how much more the cuff moves forward, especially when skinning at an incline. Huge difference. You can drive your knee over the front of the binding now, where the old one would "block out" because of the cuff.

Heel/Ankle feel a bit snugger, and liner is good. We have been making the ZG liners stiffer and heavier the last couple of years and the new one continues this trend. Most important is the tongue is thick and stiff for this weight of boot.

We will also have an aftermarket liner available called the Mission Control...heaver and stiffer, think a Cochise liner blended with the new ZG liner. Nice option if you want this for a travel boot, sled skiing, or weight is not as important.

Definitely lighter, and skis really well if not better. The dual blended cuff adds a more progressive flex..les "on and off" when engaging the cuff. Always amazed how well this light of a boot can drive really light BC skis as well as heavier resort based skis.

Hope this helps!
    Is the shell of the heel and ankle tighter or just the liner? I asked LeeLau as well, but what’s different about the buckles?

How is the internal lenght compared to the first gen?

The only real adjustments to the internal mold were in the toe box and instep. Instep is slightly higher but also more rounded. Toe box is more anatomical in shape. The last one just narrowed a bit too much at the end of the boot. Met heads should basically feel the same as previous.

If you need more forward lean, add a spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Everything about this boot sounds good….except this. Why? Would adding a spoiler to the calf be the only way to increase forward lean?
    I'll most likely be coming out with a forward lean mod for the new zero g over at raideresearch.com. Just need to get my hands on the boot. Anyone want to send me one over the summer when they aren't using it so I can develop the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by concierge View Post
    I'll most likely be coming out with a forward lean mod for the new zero g over at raideresearch.com. Just need to get my hands on the boot. Anyone want to send me one over the summer when they aren't using it so I can develop the mod?
    As stated before, the old one was 12*. The new one is 14*. If you add a spoiler you can get to 16*. Not sure why you would want to go more than that?
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    This is the comparison test I’m most excited about. Sounds like the new ZGTP is 50 g lighter than the older one?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Old boot. Production ZGTP

Shell 1111g (ii) liner 209g; and (iii) footbeds 28g. 1348g

New boot

1060 - 237 -25. 1322g

No meaningful weight to drop unless you remove the toe buckle. First glance is that the new liner looks substantially improved over old liner

Both the older and newer ZGTP were a bit actual higher weight measured than the manufacturer stated.

If the shell holds up better and is as stiff as the older version that's also remarkable

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Poudreuse View Post
    How is the internal lenght compared to the first gen?
    Looks and measures identical. Used tape measure so perhaps not the most precise. You probably already picked this up but the external bsl is identical

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Can you feel the increased touring ROM? They say the buckles are changed, what’s different?
    On a carpet test I can't tell. Need a cook and punch (duplicating what I did for the older ZGTP) to have these ok for touring to get on- snow.

I know the improved buckles have been mentioned but fwiw I can't visually tell. I also recall others had snapped, broken the wires. I didn't have that experienceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20240218_074825.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	487349

Short spoilers don't legitimately change forward lean IMHO, they just dig into the back of your calf. Concierge's mod is the proper way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Excited for this boot. How is the fit over the top of the foot? More instep room? Hopefully the screws to adjust the forward lean are made out of some harder steel this time.
    Top of boot felt identical. Instep actually feels tighter to get in so it's actually difficult to get my foot into the boot. It's to the point that when I tried a higher volume liner in the shell there was substantial swearing. But when I'm actually buckled down the instep feels the same.

What's really nice is the stock liner/footbed combo feels like there's terrific heel and ankle hold. I kind of have to cook the liner to have a legit review and get a touch more room and hope that nice heel/ankle hold is preserved.

Will ( gently) brave those Phillips screws and play with removal. As wasatchback will remind you, reassemble with loctite.

Am also going to pull the bootboard and take a profile picture for the bootfitters

Here's the bootboard pictures

One boot fitter asked "Can you take a side profile shot of the boot board contours? By biggest complaint with the current ZGTP is the massize rocker and delta in the boot board. Feels like I have high heels on and my toes are just hanging out in the abyss."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240218_085604.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	487355Name:  20240218_085612.jpeg
Views: 1293
Size:  13.8 KBName:  20240218_085616.jpeg
Views: 1270
Size:  9.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20240218_085842.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	487358

Xavier asked:

The screws are loctited on well. They didn't strip but then I was quite careful. I reassembled with loctite.

Confirmed there isn't a forward lean adjustment. This is not a flip chip but an entire unit meant to be placed in one orientation. The "chip" itself is riveted onto the boot material "cassette" that itself wraps around the walk mode internals probably for stiffness and lack of play?

Picture of the "cassette". It's the twin screwed piece just above the orange anodized coloured thingy in this picture
    Name:  20240218_092017.jpeg
Views: 1288
Size:  52.3 KB
    Last edited by LeeLau; 02-19-2024 at 12:49 AM.

As stated before, the old one was 12*. The new one is 14*. If you add a spoiler you can get to 16*. Not sure why you would want to go more than that?
    The forward lean is defined by the angle the front of the cuff is at, which is the position you drive the ski from. I think there could be an argument that in a 3 piece boot a spoiler actually does increase the forward lean, but in a 2 piece boot it definitely does not. I also think the Tecnica zero g forward lean numbers are off and it also impacted by the internal delta. The 13 degrees on the current zero g feels way more upright to me that 13 degrees on other boots. Right now my mod increases the lean 3 degrees, so I will probably dial it back to 2 degrees with the new boot.

The forward lean is defined by the angle the front of the cuff is at, which is the position you drive the ski from. I think there could be an argument that in a 3 piece boot a spoiler actually does increase the forward lean, but in a 2 piece boot it definitely does not. I also think the Tecnica zero g forward lean numbers are off and it also impacted by the internal delta. The 13 degrees on the current zero g feels way more upright to me that 13 degrees on other boots. Right now my mod increases the lean 3 degrees, so I will probably dial it back to 2 degrees with the new boot.
    Your mod is awesome and puts the lean exactly where I want it coming from lange plugs

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Your mod is awesome and puts the lean exactly where I want it coming from lange plugs
    Coming from Zero G and recently adding Lange ZB, I am curious about changing my forward lean to get closer but the boot board delta feels so different, I question whether it will be worthwhile.

Thanks for the boot board pics Lee. Bummer to see it still has more rocker than any of my shoes.

Damn picture didn't load. Here's the picture of the forward lean mechanism after removing screws. You can see it isn't a flip chip

Name:	20240218_090227.jpeg 
Views:	177 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	487435

Instep is 1mm higher, IMO it takes away the aggressive "shark bite" instep pressure where the instep would bend into the upper cuff. Makes it a lot easier to get on as well.

Toe box is "modern" like a Cochise/Mach 1....longer toe area in the 1st and 2nd met heads, and most important, sixth toe area is shaped like a foot, not a Kleenex box.
    Hallelujah!

It seems like making an aftermarket boot board shouldn’t be that hard, given scanners and 3D printing right? Or even simpler, couldn’t you just place some padding on the front of the board to even out the delta?
    Last edited by asmvolatile; 02-19-2024 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asmvolatile View Post
    It seems like making an aftermarket boot board shouldn’t be that hard, given scanners and 3D printing right? Or even simpler, couldn’t you just place some padding on the front of the board to even out the delta?
    Yes, but you will loose room in the toe box.

First day ski impressions after getting the liners molded via The Boot Mechanic (Tom James) who works out of the Intuition shop. Also got punches at the toebox.

Name:	IMG_20240221_182949_324.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	487848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240221_182949_548.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	487849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240221_182949_624.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	487850

Heel and ankle hold feel good. Skied without spoiler, on Rossi S7 rock skis with Dynafit Verticals (ie high ramp angle tech bindings). Forward lean of 14 deg feels fine. Perhaps even a bit tip toed but possibly exacerbated by the old school forward lean of the bindings.

It's been so long since my original ZGTPs were new that I can't definitely say but new ZGTP and older feel the same. If I had to guess these new ones feel a bit stiffer and more supportive.

Got to to try them on groomers, also chalky snow then some leftover pow on Blackcomb Glacier in your basic whiteout where you ski from patch of pow to cut up remnants and if you don't ski centred you get knocked around. The boots felt good in that regards in the sense of having decent support. In a nutshell they feel as stiff and as balanced as the old ZGTP.

Touring they feel better than the old ZGTP in the sense of having a nice free floating stride. The short skin up Showcase Glacier to Blackcomb Glacier doesn't have flat spots to throw the hips and feet forward to really max out stride length and feel out all the ROM of the boot. However I did try to pick a steep skintrack angle. If your boot doesn't have good forward ROM typically you'd need to engage heel lifters. That I didn't feel that need seems to indicate that the ZGTPs ROM is acceptable.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 02-22-2024 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asmvolatile View Post

I do that in mine. I have 3mm of shims on just the forefoot. I find it really tall and there is plenty of room to shin.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    What binding are you using with your ZGTPs?

Interesting they are as stiff if not stiffer than the current ZGPT. If anything I’d say the current iteration is a bit too stiff and harsh for its primary use. Maybe it will be better with more forward lean?

Today I got to try them out in what turned out to be approximately 70+cms of powder snow. By no means super light low density snow but nevertheless powder snow of the coastal variety.

The ZGTP felt great. I didn't have the buckles cinched too tight as there was some standing around waiting for lifts to run so to avoid cold feet I had them buckled for what I call "touring" snugness ie tight but not clenched. Snow conditions of this type, density and nature requires commitment, some experience and fat skis (107 underfoot).

I could ski the ZGTP centred and never felt like I would be bucked either forward or backwards. I could drive from the cuff, stay centred on my instep or if I hit a patch of particularly deep snow and get pushed back on cuffs, immediately rebound back to neutral and/ or attack. In short the boots felt as if they had a nice mix of controlled yet just the right amount of forgiving.

Name:	IMG_1665.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	488521

The forward lean is defined by the angle the front of the cuff is at, which is the position you drive the ski from. I think there could be an argument that in a 3 piece boot a spoiler actually does increase the forward lean, but in a 2 piece boot it definitely does not. .
    I'll argue this point. You are correct that the forward lean is primarily affected by the front of the cuff. However, given a static volume of your lower leg at cuff height, pushing the back of the calf forward will net the same movement in the front of the calf, which effectively increases forward lean. Because of the increased volume taken up in the cuff by the spoiler, the sides of the cuff will be slightly less overlapped, which allows the shin to be further forward (because the spoiler is pushing the back of the leg forward). Shin forward with a static heel spot equals more forward lean.

I struggle with this as a half-ape half-man with gigantic calves. The OG ZGTP is perfect for me at 11 degrees without a spoiler, any boot with more forward lean or a spoiler pushes my knee so far forward of my toes, it puts an insane amount of pressure on my (already bad) kneecaps). I'm pretty disappointed in the step backward in adjustability of the new boot.