Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reno/Tahoe - Where to live post pandemic

I recently tossed a job application in for a job in North Tahoe. I read some pre pandemic threads about Reno neighborhoods for commuters but I'm wondering what's still relevant in 2024 after the covid inflations. The gig only requires commuting there and back once a week. In HS and College I had Kirkwood, Alpine, Sugarbowl passes etc. I don't ski like I used to but have a kiddo that will be learning in a few years, I think I'd be fine with Rose.

For context I've spent the last year in a shitty methy town in Idaho and made the most of it. My current commute is 1.5-2 hours depending on weather. I'm good at ignoring people's politics. I'll be happy chasing chukar with the bird dogs and fishing pyramid in the winter months with some skiing tossed in.

Our price range at the moment would be 4-500k.

Where should I be looking? I did a hot spring thing in Gardnerville years ago and it seemed nice? Minden out of the price range? What's good in Reno these days? Fernley too far for quick Rose sessions?

Where in north Tahoe, specifically?

What are you hoping to buy for $400-500K? (SFH, condo,?)

How long of a commute are you willing to put up with when you have to drive to N Tahoe?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

TC or KB. SFH is ideal. But we could do a condo so long as it had a small yard for the pups. 90 min drive is fine. I’m amicable to longer for the right spot.

Reno / Sparks house pricing is nuts now.

If generic suburbia is OK, maybe look at farther out in Sparks, for something newer?

For an older neighborhood, Mogul area or northwest Reno would probably be ideal for the drive to Tahoe.

Unless you want to live in a more rural setting (horses, ATVs, that sort of feel), I'd probably skip Dayton, Fernley, north valleys, and Virginia City.

Do you have time to come to Reno and spend some time checking out neighborhoods before accepting the job? If you need a place to stay, let me know, we have plenty of space
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yeah, 500k isn't going to buy you much of a SFH in Reno these days. It's fucking insane. To get a house for that you're def looking at Sparks or the North (meth) Valleys. I think you can still find something in that range near Carson, but it won't be in a super nice neighborhood.

KB is actually pretty far from Reno--could be well over an hour if you're not in the south part of town already or if the roads are clogged for one reason or another. TC is another 20-40mins from there depending on traffic, which is notoriously stupid in summer (construction, tourists) and winter (snow, tourists). I live in Carson and consider a drive to the N Shore a real hardship that I only do a couple of times a year to ride bikes.

Once a week, though, you can suffer through a longish drive. If you're ok living in CA maybe even consider the other side of the hill--Nevada City or somewhere.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I live in a Methy town and commute to a ski town for work through summer traffic, construction, storms that often close the highways etc so I’m used to all of that. Usually on the road around 0500 to miss the commute traffic. I lived on the West side most of my life. I’d consider it but I’d prefer to have close proximity upland birds in NV for my setters.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I live in a Methy town and commute to a ski town for work through summer traffic, construction, storms that often close the highways etc so I’m used to all of that. Usually on the road around 0500 to miss the commute traffic. I lived on the West side most of my life. I’d consider it but I’d prefer to have close proximity upland birds in NV for my setters.
    You're a good candidate for Dayton.

If you make the leap and need some hunting partners, let me know. I have a buddy down that way who is a chukkar fanatic and a really good dude, who also works in emergency services. I'd be happy to introduce you.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

If you go on zillow and search for north lake tahoe with a max price of $500K you have to zoom out for a while before anything shows up. The was the closest listing, looks pretty decent at a glance https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...53586640_zpid/

edit: haha that's $500K for an eighth share of the house! Never mind.

coownership? What are we hippies?
    The bathroom smells of patchouli.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    If you go on zillow and search for north lake tahoe with a max price of $500K you have to zoom out for a while before anything shows up. The was the closest listing, looks pretty decent at a glance https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...53586640_zpid/

edit: haha that's $500K for an eighth share of the house! Never mind.
    someone is frozen in time

in retrospect, I probably should have read the listing before posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    You're a good candidate for Dayton.
    Looks real nice compared to Blackfoot…

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    If you make the leap and need some hunting partners, let me know. I have a buddy down that way who is a chukkar fanatic and a really good dude, who also works in emergency services. I'd be happy to introduce you.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    That would be fantastic. We’ll have to drag you down for a late season hunt and pyramid session. The waterfowl scene is slightly intriguing and I still have a lot of friends with leases in NorCal

How many bedrooms do you need?

I guess a once per week commute is no biggie for the difference but most of the year I'd much rather drive 80 to 89 to Tahoe City than having to go over Mount Rose Highway and then wind around the lake from Incline to get there. Kings Beach on the other hand...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

3/2 is more than adequate.

My parents just sold a 1800 sqft 3/2 just east of Dayton with a really nice 24x24 shop for $500. The immediate area wasn’t bad. Lots of hills to play in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What’s the story with homeowners insurance in the NV area?

KB is actually pretty far from Reno--could be well over an hour if you're not in the south part of town already or if the roads are clogged for one reason or another. TC is another 20-40mins from there depending on traffic, which is notoriously stupid in summer (construction, tourists) and winter (snow, tourists). I live in Carson and consider a drive to the N Shore a real hardship that I only do a couple of times a year to ride bikes.
    Dude, what? KB or TC to anywhere in Reno in under an hour with clear roads. KB to Carson is under 45 minutes. Many people make those commutes daily. At 5AM, even in the snow it's not that much longer.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Dude, what? KB or TC to anywhere in Reno in under an hour with clear roads. KB to Carson is under 45 minutes. Many people make those commutes daily. At 5AM, even in the snow it's not that much longer.
    Ok, speedy. I'm not driving a WRX with the turbo spooled up the whole time and traffic is a thing.... I live at the bottom of 50 and if I make it to Incline under 45 mins in winter I figure it's a win. It often takes 50-55 mins to Rose meadow to start a tour. Maybe at 0500 it's easier but I'm asleep then. OP doesn't really seem turned off by a long drive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I shopped mine around last month and saved a bunch. It's under $1k/yr for my 3/2 in Douglas Co. Prob not the most baller coverage and high deductible, because I'm not going to be making a claim for $10k worth of water damage like some would.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Ok, speedy. I'm not driving a WRX with the turbo spooled up the whole time and traffic is a thing.... I live at the bottom of 50 and if I make it to Incline under 45 mins in winter I figure it's a win. It often takes 50-55 mins to Rose meadow to start a tour. Maybe at 0500 it's easier but I'm asleep then. OP doesn't really seem turned off by a long drive anyway.

I shopped mine around last month and saved a bunch. It's under $1k/yr for my 3/2 in Douglas Co. Prob not the most baller coverage and high deductible, because I'm not going to be making a claim for $10k worth of water damage like some would.

I have several SLT friends who moved to Grass Valley 4-5 yrs ago. I haven’t checked house prices there but in addition to short drive mtn access there’s decent mtn biking etc. Based on my occasional visits there, it’s less soul sucking than the Reno suburbs.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Definitely better than California, that’s for sure. Although places close to the lake on the NV side are still dealing with the same policy cancellations, price increases.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Are you driving with chains on? Right now, mid day, google maps has Incline to Carson Costco at an even 30 minutes.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Carson City is a pretty good spot, and money goes farther housing wise than Reno. Smaller city with everything you need. 30-40 minutes to the east shore of Tahoe. If you tour all the greater Tahoe access points but the west shore and donner summit are sub hour. Easy to avoid the tahoe basin when it's a shitshow and still go cool places. Kirkwood is an hour, heavenly less, rose like 40 minutes. Lots of fishing, hiking, dirt biking, mountain biking from 0 to 45 minutes away. Bridgeport is 90 minutes, Bishop sub 3 hours. We lived in South Reno for a while before buying a house in Carson City and like Carson way better. Depending on where in Minden/Gardnerville you're at you'd be over 90 minutes. They're closer by 15-20 minutes to everything south of lake tahoe.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Well my marathon week has come an end. With job offer accepted. Now the hunt for housing starts in earnest. If any mags have a line on a rental that dog friendly ping me. Perhaps I can sneak out for same late season turns with folks.