Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Scarpa Quattro
    Dalbello Quantum series as well, especially with Intuition liners. And Pierre Gignoux.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    If the release values were more consistent than competing bindings, Dynafit would be marketing it.

I don’t think it will be a bad binding, it just doesn’t seem to have any standout features that most people seem care about. The Radical bindings seem to have been completely outcompeted in the North American market, and I don’t see how the Ridge is going to get that market share back.
    Don't shoot the messenger. I just know that binding engineers worry about these things. And in their little specific world of worry, they know who's better and who's worse. The market doesn't care about the nuances. They've already accepted a more dangerous binding as ok for general skiing.

Us TGR blowhards are the loudest segment of the ski industry, but the least consequential to Dynafit's bottom line. Sad but true.

Maybe we can just say the Ridge binding exists, it's probably good, it comes in rainbow... and then just keep the topic to the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Us TGR blowhards are the loudest segment of the ski industry, but the least consequential to Dynafit's bottom line. Sad but true.
    The Ridge will sell great to folks who love the Radical (I swear they are out there) but want it to be lighter. It is unlikely to be something many people on this forum want to use and that is okay.

Fully agree with the below.

Maybe we can just say the Ridge binding exists, it's probably good, it comes in rainbow... and then just keep the topic to the boots.

It is noteworthy that apart from the rotating toe, Dynafit has not really made meaningful changes to their bindings in 20 years. But yeah people are still buying lots of them so who cares what us nerds think.

Skinny guys who tour lots would rip the tops off of the RAD just walking along, I know a guide who broke 6 of them, I don't see how that design made it past an engineer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger. I just know that binding engineers worry about these things. And in their little specific world of worry, they know who's better and who's worse. The market doesn't care about the nuances. They've already accepted a more dangerous binding as ok for general skiing.

If you don’t want to talk about the binding, why make dubious claims about more reliable binding release? The market absolutely cares about reliability of release. Dynafit wouldn’t be selling rotation bindings, if the market didn’t care.

IME the Vertical & Rad released OK these products are so 10 yrs ago,

but people will accept whatever as long as its light

alot of them don't know if their binding will release

but they can tell you how many grams it weighs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Well, when the first photos came out I was certain it'd be great to 86 the Boa and throw some buckles on there, but at 1:29 it's showing to be a lot more going on than just Boa.

Got a chance to very quickly try on the boots today. I'm a 275 usually, street shoes are 11, low volume foot, low instep, skinny but not crazy skinny ankle, medium width forefoot. I run into length issues with a lot of 275 touring boots, such as the Zero G Peak, all Scarpas, and Fischer Travers. The boots that fit me best are the Hawx Ultra and Skorpius, both of which I ski with zero mods or molding.

I am not the best person to review the fit of this boot because its way too wide for me throughout. They are also on the shorter side, similar in length to the Zero G Peak, with my toes uncomfortably up against the front. I only got to play with the boots for a minute but they felt very stiff and supportive in ski mode, and the walk mode felt inferior to the Skorpius, which is probably the most comparable boot out there.

For those with narrow feet looking for a new boot that balances walk and ski around 1300g, I recommend trying the new Backland XTD. Its a little heavier but it walks as well as 1000g boots, much better than the Ridge or even the Skorpius.

Just like the hoji, dynafit keeps producing boots with massive toe boxes. I don’t understand as the toe box is the easiet part of a boot to expand. At the same time the toe box of a boot is nearly impossible to snug up without either discomfort or reduced performance (boot is slow to react). I’d be curious to know the actual last of hojis Frankenboot as or does he just have fat fore foot hobbit feet.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Got a chance to very quickly try on the boots today. I'm a 275 usually, street shoes are 11, low volume foot, low instep, skinny but not crazy skinny ankle, medium width forefoot. I run into length issues with a lot of 275 touring boots, such as the Zero G Peak, all Scarpas, and Fischer Travers. The boots that fit me best are the Hawx Ultra and Skorpius, both of which I ski with zero mods or molding.

I am not the best person to review the fit of this boot because its way too wide for me throughout. They are also on the shorter side, similar in length to the Zero G Peak, with my toes uncomfortably up against the front. I only got to play with the boots for a minute but they felt very stiff and supportive in ski mode, and the walk mode felt inferior to the Skorpius, which is probably the most comparable boot out there.

For those with narrow feet looking for a new boot that balances walk and ski around 1300g, I recommend trying the new Backland XTD. Its a little heavier but it walks as well as 1000g boots, much better than the Ridge or even the Skorpius.
    Thanks for sharing! Is the heel even like that of the Hoji Frees; a bit of a bucket?

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Just like the hoji, dynafit keeps producing boots with massive toe boxes. I don’t understand as the toe box is the easiet part of a boot to expand. At the same time the toe box of a boot is nearly impossible to snug up without either discomfort or reduced performance (boot is slow to react). I’d be curious to know the actual last of hojis Frankenboot as or does he just have fat fore foot hobbit feet.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I tried on Hojis 25 Vulcan proto that was made out of the tlt5. It fit me like a glove and now all their boots fit awkwardly. He doesn’t have a super narrow forefoot but he’s also adamant about not needing much support ahead of the mid foot.

I got to try on the ridge in two sizes too big. Hard to say much but the mid foot felt tight (like a Lange) and the forefoot was a lot bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Is the heel even like that of the Hoji Frees; a bit of a bucket?
    The heel is pretty wide

I like the idea of the sliding tongue. The old Backland and TLT6 with removeable tongues ski a lot stronger than the more recent 1kg boots. This would hopefully bring that power back without the hassle of swapping tongues. Curious if it walks nearly as good as those boots with tongue removed. Looks like one step up in burliness though which isn't really what I want in this kind of boot.

Marketing rehash from BSC

https://www.backcountryskiingcanada....o4pDIWH0LhEIDI

SPECS
    Price: $899.95US
    Sizes: 25 – 31.5 (mens) / 23 – 27.5 (womens)
    Flex 120 (men) / 110 (women)
    Weight: 1,250g /
    Last: 101mm
    Materials: Grilamid or Grilamid with carbon fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I like the idea of the sliding tongue. The old Backland and TLT6 with removeable tongues ski a lot stronger than the more recent 1kg boots. This would hopefully bring that power back without the hassle of swapping tongues. Curious if it walks nearly as good as those boots with tongue removed. Looks like one step up in burliness though which isn't really what I want in this kind of boot.
    That was the first thing I thought too, with new materials perhaps making the skiability a bit better as well. The massive difference is the last of the TLT6 if what skimo comments and others in this thread said. Part of what made that boot - and the 5- ski so well was the fit, which has yet to replicated. Such a bummer, because this boot - even with the last of the Halloween color tlt6p - would be fucking amazing. I’m being selfish tho, as I see radical pros CONSTANTLY around my hill so they must be working. Way more common than Vulcans ever were.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    I tried on Hojis 25 Vulcan proto that was made out of the tlt5. It fit me like a glove and now all their boots fit awkwardly. He doesn’t have a super narrow forefoot but he’s also adamant about not needing much support ahead of the mid foot.

I got to try on the ridge in two sizes too big. Hard to say much but the mid foot felt tight (like a Lange) and the forefoot was a lot bigger.
    I agree with hoji, i like roomy your boxes and it doesn't affect my skiing at all

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I pre-purchased Ridges, picked them up yesterday. Like every boot I've had for 15+ years I replaced the liners off the bat with Intuitions. This is because I have a very low volume foot and with every boot AT boot I need to take up more volume (plus I think most touring liners are inferior to Intuitions, but I havent actually used any in a while). So I put the 12mm Intuition Tour Tongues in them. This definitely reduced the touring range of motion, but I think once the liners break in a bit it will get better. As previously stated the shells are short for a given length. I typically downsize and stretch boots out to fit. I wear size 10 shoes, I've been in size 25 Zero Gs (with lots of stretches/punches) for 4.5 seasons. Volume wise I'm sure a 25 Ridge would be better but I don't think I could get the length to work, and 25s don't exist right now to even try on so I'm in a 26 Ridge. The heel is bigger than my Zero G, but smaller than the Atomic Backland XTD in my opinion, or maybe about the same. I had one of those at home for a while and kept trying to decide if I could make it work. The biggest issue with the backland for me was the lack of any buckle around the ankle. For me the Z buckle was worthless, does nothing to pull my foot back into the heel pocket. The middle buckle on the Ridge is key. Same with the Skorpius. Nothing to hold my heel down, the BOA is worthless for me. I also found the heel/ankle on the Skorpius to be huge. Bigger than the Ridge if I remember correctly. Yes, both the Skorpius and Backland XTD have more and lower friction touring ROM, especially with the liner I put in. The Ridge Is much stiffer than either of those, which for me is a good thing. The Skorpius cuff is way too low for my taste, I didn't like skiing them at all (I know plenty of people love them, I wish I did!) Ridge cuff is about the same as my Zero Gs, a bit lower in the back. Ridge stiffness does feel a bit like a brick wall, at least in carpet testing. Tour to ski transition in Ridge very fast and efficient.

I dont think Skorpius and Ridge are really comparable boots, Ridge is much stiffer. Ridge also a bit stiffer than XTD at lower weight.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I dont think Skorpius and Ridge are really comparable boots, Ridge is much stiffer. Ridge also a bit stiffer than XTD at lower weight.
    I hope the Ridge works out well for you! I think cuff heights vary wildly between sizes in touring boots. Often times companies use the same cuff for different sizes, so a 25 and 26 would use the same cuff, and it would feel short in a 26. My 27 Skorpius have similar cuff height to my 27 Hawx.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I hope the Ridge works out well for you! I think cuff heights vary wildly between sizes in touring boots. Often times companies use the same cuff for different sizes, so a 25 and 26 would use the same cuff, and it would feel short in a 26. My 27 Skorpius have similar cuff height to my 27 Hawx.
    Interesting.. The Skorpius I tried had a cuff that was like 1.5 inches lower than my Zero Gs..

Thanks, I hope they work for me too!! Ha..

Interesting you were able to get a 26...i didnt think they were shipped to the US yet
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Interesting you were able to get a 26...i didnt think they were shipped to the US yet
    I might have a pair of 26.5 I’d be interested in selling

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JKlompus View Post
    I might have a pair of 26.5 I’d be interested in selling

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Already have a pair pre-ordered - let me see if I can cancel. I assume they're unused?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    That was the first thing I thought too, with new materials perhaps making the skiability a bit better as well. The massive difference is the last of the TLT6 if what skimo comments and others in this thread said. Part of what made that boot - and the 5- ski so well was the fit, which has yet to replicated. Such a bummer, because this boot - even with the last of the Halloween color tlt6p - would be fucking amazing. I’m being selfish tho, as I see radical pros CONSTANTLY around my hill so they must be working. Way more common than Vulcans ever were.
    To be fair, that same last made it impossible for people like me to fit in it. I gave up after punching to its limit and still having significant pain in the midfoot and heel because it was just too narrow still. I don't blame Dynafit for wanting to expand the market for the boot. Lets face it, not everyone with a super narrow foot will refuse to buy the mid-lasted boot. But everyone with a wide foot will refuse to buy the narrow-lasted boot.