Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Any of you Ontario Mags go to Holiday Valley or HoliMont?
    E'Ville was my stomping grounds in college.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Holiday Valley? Many times! They used to take CAD at par which was cool. Now they just have "friendship days" or whatever it's called. This was the first place I took my son on a 'sleepover' ski trip (2 days only). He still brags to his sister that he's been skiing "in a whole other country" while she's just been to crappy old BC...

Well….. skied Blue today. Was nice to be skiing from the North end again and good fun as always. But I thing thin would describe a lot of the runs. Can make it from the North all the way to southern comfort now so not stuck in one spot. The snow makers have done a great job getting snow on the runs just need some more cold weather.

Storm left less than half an inch on the lawn but a good solid inch of suzie cream cheese goodness on the local hill. Hero snow but once the temps went above freezing it got slow. Went from sliding easily on to the lifts to x-country shuffle to get to the chair. Water proof pants were de rigueur sitting on slush before it got turned to a thin layer of water. Still, petey got some happy time.

Hoping this is snow up north. The weather forecasters for this neck of the woods are making me tired of hearing them cry wolf. Maybe akin to a wounded mouse? Squeak.

Saturday is looking like the day.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Holiday Valley was my home hill so to speak since I grew up in Niagara. My bother takes his kids to Kissing Bridge all the time, my grandmother skied there once a week until she broke a hip at 83.

Our highschool ran ski club Friday nights to Holiday Valley, we coined it Fatty Friday and bunch of us always smuggled weed across the border, never too worried we could get in trouble... what a time to be alive that was.

Is Holimont still private? I only skied it once but the lack of line ups compared to HV was great.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Hoping this is snow up north. The weather forecasters for this neck of the woods are making me tired of hearing them cry wolf. Maybe akin to a wounded mouse? Squeak.
    The forecasted Snowmaggedon did not materialize but my part of the north did receive about 15 cm of new snow, followed by a spell of light rain. It is kind of gloppy out there. The good news is that temperatures are forecasted to drop and more snow is on the way. Overall, a net gain and bodes well for the future. So we are base-building yet again.

Name:  chair 1 10 24.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  49.1 KB
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Now this next storm is forecasted for some rain as well. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Now this next storm is forecasted for some rain as well. WTF.
    This too shall pass...I hope.

A few pics from this morning. The new snow didn't bond to the hard pack but still fun.

Just turn your monitor to get the full monty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240111_101832622.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	482547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240111_093051263.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	482544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240111_101644071.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	751.5 KB 
ID:	482545

Wow that looks great!

Blue is trudging along, up to 17 trails open now. It was absolutely dead today. I guess rain and crap snow will do that, but walk on lifts were a treat.

Name:	PXL_20240111_192640183.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	482592

I'm usually on the ole M1's if anyone see's a tall guy with poor form holler lol.

Name:	PXL_20240111_192725319.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	482593

Got out for some Lunchtime Laps™️ yesterday at good old Mount Milton. Snow quality was who cares and they had who cares lifts and who cares runs open. I got to slide on snow on my lunch break. Was there to test out the new boots (mindbenders). Right foot comfy from the get-go. Left foot hurt like hell on the lift but felt fine on the hill. Will assume this will correct itself as the liners pack out. Mission accomplished.

Clientele was predominately Asian and busier than I expected but still ski-on lift lines. 1/4 lift companions was talkative. Nice retired guy - they are always the best to ride with.

Name:	IMG_6971.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	482675

Name:	IMG_6972.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	358.6 KB 
ID:	482676

The new layer of heavy wet snow will solidify the base, and the snow squalls forecasted between tonight and Monday could result in some good conditions. The crew out at Limberlost today had fun, that's all I know. Today’s hazard: low-hanging branches.

Name:  chair 1 13 in the am.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  55.9 KB
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    The new layer of heavy wet snow will solidify the base, and the snow squalls forecasted between tonight and Monday could result in some good conditions. The crew out at Limberlost today had fun, that's all I know. Today’s hazard: low-hanging branches.

Name:  chair 1 13 in the am.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  55.9 KB
    Any worry about widow makers with the wind? It was nasty here. Thought about making the trip but road conditions and the relative lack of snow in your area said no.

This storm has been a lunch bag let down here in London. Heavy rain close to midnight Friday and quick drop in temps Saturday morning made for some nice concrete to slide on. Might be able to x-country at the local golf course now though. Ground underneath is still wet so I'm not sure if they want any traffic there yet. Got kicked out last year when I pushed the boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Any worry about widow makers with the wind? It was nasty here. Thought about making the trip but road conditions and the relative lack of snow in your area said no..
    It wasn't that windy in these parts, so no falling trees to speak of. Good news, we got another 10 cm-ish of light fluffy stuff overnight. More snow and cold this week, should be pretty good by next weekend.

Petey, didn't know that you are a telemarker until your recent boot shot. Knee droppers of Ontario unite!

We need to set up a TGR midweek backcountry day in the highlands.

Kids' lessons started at Glen Eden this weekend - was warm but windy AF. One lift, 2 runs, which means you've got like 20 classes trying to get on the lift all at once, so while the kids were doing their thing the missus and I just went in for hot drinks and to chill out. Then went over to the bunny slope to practice skiing backwards because why the hell not.

Cold enough to make snow all week - I bet they get everything open by this weekend and we're off to the races.

Blue on Thursday with 3 other dudes. Will bring the skis and the snowboard. Should be a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    We need to set up a TGR midweek backcountry day in the highlands.
    Great plan! There are some local WWHSTA-types with flexible schedules, let me know when you want to come up.

What a difference a week makes! Zero to hero. 17.25 cm (8.38 inches) of fresh fluff in my driveway this morning. Over knee deep breaking trail out to the bird feeder. Better dust off the skis.

Name:  chair 1 15 24.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  65.7 KB

Hero to superhero. Picture is from this morning at my house. If you are thinking about to Limberlost, now is the time. Rumour has it that a couple of recon missions may go to Nickle Peak this weekend. If the radar has been accurate, it has been nuking there for three days straight with potentially redonkulous snow depths as a result.

Name:  chair 1 18 24.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  62.3 KB

Great day at Blue. Snowmaking in full tilt across the whole place combined with steady flurries all day made for great turns start to finish. No lines, not many people out.
    Rode the new snowboard in the morning with step-on bindings: total game-changer!
    Skis in the afternoon to show the chairlift how it’s done.

Beers after. Service sucked but good times were still had.

Name:	IMG_6980.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	483479

HA! Go to Jozos next time the girls there do a great job. Best snow of the year today fer sure.

It's been a few years but I had a burger at Jozo's that I still think about lol, it was way up there. Agreed with Johnny service was terrific. Place was rammed (New Years Eve) and the older "seen it all" vibes waitress was just a total pro.

Paulster any interesting beers there? I'm pretty out of the loop with their current offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    It's been a few years but I had a burger at Jozo's that I still think about lol, it was way up there. Agreed with Johnny service was terrific. Place was rammed (New Years Eve) and the older "seen it all" vibes waitress was just a total pro.

Paulster any interesting beers there? I'm pretty out of the loop with their current offerings.
    As we were leaving I said to my guys "I'm never coming here [to Northwinds] again." Service was piss poor in there - which I totally get if you're understaffed and busy but saw staff just chillin' by the bar looking at their phones together while we sat thirsty. Very annoying. Beers were actually quite underwhelming, and all tasted pretty much the same but 3 varieties (lager / weak pale ale / dark beer). Happy Hour special: $8 beer. Whoop-dee-doo!

Went because my buddy was so excited about the skateboard flights - personally I made the observation that they really take over the table and are pretty cumbersome, and was labelled a party pooper. Then got an idea of my own for the ultimate flight vessel - construction to begin this weekend...

Then walking back to the car my buddy wanted to check out the Pepper Palace store and HOLY SHIT you've never seen someone so excited about hot sauces than my friend. Was actually pretty funny. I ended up buying a $14 bottle of BBQ sauce just because of his enthusiasm.

Blue Mountain conditions were great - no ice at all really, and although it's 1/2 open on the website it really feels like the entire place is open and only a few runs closed. They're all basically the same anyway.

Aww didn't realize that was Northwinds. Agreed their beer isn't too exciting. I've heard their food is decent, hope that was the case at least.

Great to hear the snow has improved. Hope to see some pics of the project when it's complete.

Glen Eden is in full effect. Been making snow 24/7 and there are PILES of it. No ice to speak of. Used the snowboard again and the Burton step-ons are a total game changer. Place was actually fun again! In a year or two I want to get a full telemark setup - wife’s gonna hate that one….
    The “coffee crisp” hot beverage in the West Lodge is a 10/10. Get that if you go. Kids are talking about wanting to go there during the week now - great development in the Paulster household.

They are actually checking for lift tickets now, which is the first time I’ve seen this in 20+ years. Saw two teenagers get the boot.

All in all a good day at a shit hill.

Name:	IMG_6983.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	483798

Name:	IMG_6984.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	483799

The Glen looks to be in good shape. Hope this weather doesn't cause any mayhem. When are they going to put a bar there? Might get to visit this season with one of my brothers and a nephew.

Managed to get up to Pinery for some winter camping over the weekend but we left early upon hearing Monday night and Tuesday's forecast. Got some bushwhacking skiing in as they got close to a foot of snow Saturday. Fun visit. The groomed trails were in great shape. The last twenty years have not been kind to that place for winter activities. Sigh.

London's local hill has been skiing decently since December 15th and hoping the next few days of rain don't cause any trail closures. Just checked the webcam and there are only a handful of peeps out. Think I'll put on the Goretex and get some runs in.

Props for the amount of winter camping you get in each year. I car camp plenty in fairer weather but winter camping is a bit hardcore for me.

Blue was great today. It rained the whole time we were there but the snow is holding up surprisingly well. We've got more rain coming but I'll take that as a hopeful sign. Snow was super carvey. Really fun and fast predictable snow. Nice to finally be able to go across the whole hill.

Few brown spots still, no ice at least. Thanks to the rain it was mostly walk on lifts.

Name:	PXL_20240124_185222535.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	824.0 KB 
ID:	484251