Check Out Our Shop
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Here’s a few pics from the last few days.

Late May laps thru Hangman’s.

Upper Broadway with perfect corn.

With ch 1 gone Broadway gets hardly any ski traffic. Early afternoon and the snow was still corduroyed up.

End of the day at the bottom of Stump Alley with a still healthy snowpack.
    Contrast that to…….,

The bottom of SV two days earlier.

First Mono Cone of the year with front row parking. Life is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet! I reacted negatively to them pulling chair 1 so early, but it actually helps preserve the some excellent corn faces: Broadway, Terry's, Andy's and especially Fascination. Comparable to lower Scotty's in its prime.

Yew! I'll be there with some of my kids on Sunday.

Great hangers shot ESS!!

I really love hangers in spring slush. I would love to get back up there this year, but it's not going to happen.

The difference between Mammoth and sv is striking.

Gonna try to make a day trip out there Sunday. Weather looks good.

Couple pics from the last few days.

Anything look familiar? Took this on Wednesday returning from a quick trip to the EC. This is during the Vegas to Reno leg.

From near to far, Boundary-Montgomery Peaks, center of the photo with a little snow on it is the backside of Glass Mtn,
    top center is Mammoth Mtn, top right Ritter & Banner are visible. Smoke is from the prescribed fire between Crestview & June Lake.

Thursday morning, prime time on Stump Alley. Contrast that to…

Memorial Day weekend (closing) 2021. It took some epic snow farming to be able to ski to the bottom of Chair 2.

The mountain is filled with snake runs right now, including one down the Paranoids. This one started at the bottom of Wipe Out,

…and ran all the way down to St Anton’s.

Mammoth’s normally stellar grooming is a little ragged. This basketball-sized chunk was cemented in. Arcing some turns down Chair 5 and hitting this would not be good.

Found some smooth afternoon slush under Balls. May has been a great month of skiing with almost every night temperatures falling below freezing, setting up day after day of great corn cycles.

Don’t know what it is like this weekend, but on Thursday the mountain was empty. It was super chill and very relaxing.

Mid-morning, Cornice bowl on Thursday and no one around.

A few rocks were starting to show in the throat of Hangman’s. They were easy to avoid and the snow right past the throat was perfect to carry speed into and then smear it off.

As always, finished the day with a hike to the top of Chair 22. Avy 1 still holding tons of fun snow.

The view back up Avy 1. Good skiing top to bottom.

Avy 2 bowl. With Chair 16 open this weekend should be an easy hike up and ski down.

Hit a few thunderstorms on the drive home. Springtime is a great time to be on the Eastside.

Heading up to the PNW right now, so I just missed my goal of 100 days and finished with 94, 56 of them Mammoth days. If you take away the bone-dry November and December, it was a really good season. Have a great summer and we’ll see you on the mountain in November.

Had a blast yesterday at Mammoth albeit a bit too crowded for my liking. However, with our early start and following the sun. Lapping the left side of runs like Cornice Bowl, Scotty's and Stump Alley early on got us a ton of vert before the crowds showed up.

Sucks they are closing as I would have totally gone back for more.

Skied Sunday. Was busy. Main was a zoo. Only went down there once late morning and then again at 1:57 to get my last cabin. Like was down the stairs the first time. Walked right on the 2nd time.

23 was the place to be until it got busy around 11am. Plenty of coverage at the top

Once the line formed at 23, I worked my way over toward Lincoln and it was perfect at 11:50. Avi 1 was pretty much perfectly smooth corn. Skied just enough that there were no sun cups but little enough there were no bumps. Skied down to Canyon and the WROD was excellent slush

A bike runs were open. But they still need a week of warmth to melt out the lower mountain and get terrain open

I started to work my way back to the upper mountain and went to check the time when I got on Face Lift and realized I had lost my phone. Spent the next hour retracing my steps to no avail. Bummer. Still had a few minutes left to ski so skied a lap on WipeOuts to St Anton (which skied excellently late in the day) and finished on Hanger's

ESS report of a few rocks in the crux maybe should be increased to several. By far my favorite run of the day. It was pretty easy to hop, jump or glide over them, but for sure you came out with speed. Nailed my first two turns and the rest of the apron was bliss.

Skied to my car, packed up and headed up to Main to talk to Lost and Found. Place was all locked up. No one at ticketing or customer service. Fuck.

Borrowed some random dudes phone to call my wife to let her know I'd be home late and not to worry. She told my my phone was at Canyon Lodge lost and found.

Went outside and talked to a parking attendant and then with security. He called another dude who said he meet me at Canyon in 25 minutes. Started to head down the hill and was stuck in traffic. Got to Canyon just in time, we went inside and gotta say he was pretty awesome. Checked Lost and Found and nothing. Went over to Ticketing and nothing. Went into some offices as he called around and then found it. Fuck yeah.

Big props to the team there was super helpful.

Still trying to figure out how the guy who found my phone was able to call my mom, who called my wife, who texted the guy and learned where my phone was.

Good closing day. Would have been way better if I did not lose an hour looking for it just as the upper mountain was in perfect condition.

All my laps off the top were great. Cornice early. Climax around 10am. Dave's around 11:30. Never got over to Scotty's or Paranoids as I was afraid to go down to Main.

Wish they would keep 2,3,5, 6 and 23 going for a little longer. There is the snow. Gonna be a while before any bike park opens above the Mill.

And with 108 open, so worth the day trip. 4 hours and 50 minutes to get there. Under 6 to get home. No soft serve for me because both Mono and Jolly were packed to the gills.

Haha. I lost my phone on Scotty's off 23. Retraced at where I used it last to the bottom of lift...nothing. Asked liftie when loading and said 'actually someone did turn in a phone.' Skied back down and sure enough, some nice human turned it in.

Yeah great past few days coverage still good, temps good, skier traffic high but mellow in the usual spots.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Sigh
    Reduced to webcam watching of new ch 1 install.

Interesting that the seemed to have groomed the terrain park and Broadway last night. Is today an Employee Celebration Day?

Maybe

I read they will need to clear the road from Main to McCoy asap to get work completed on the top station of Ch 1. Cutting off access from Ch 2.

Wish they would run Ch 2 for access only to Ch 23. Ski that and then eventually down to Main. Walk across the dirt road to Ch 6 an then ski to the Mill to end your day.

Ch 3 is also getting work done this spring. New motors or something.

Ya, would love to be up there next week skiing with my kid for a few days and maybe a day biking lower mountain. Our backup was to stay at our friends at Kirkwood and get my kid out for their first skin on the frontside there. Still snow top to almost the bottom and they built a cat track up the Wall, making for an easy skin. But overnight lows are looking to be about 42F, so no refreeze happening. Boo

Guess we might just stick around here as the dirt and trails are in prime condition. Missing Mammoth already.

MAMMOTH 23/24 - WE ARE READY FOR THE SNOW NOW

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Sigh

Interesting that the seemed to have groomed the terrain park and Broadway last night. Is today an Employee Celebration Day?
    Yes. It’s Employee only ski day today

Anyone hit the bike park over the weekend? Anything open besides Uptown/Downtown?

I did not ride but they reported Shotgun and Smooth Operator open.

I skied down to Canyon, and with the warm week, more will be opening soon - below Paper Route.

Its gonna be a while before anything above Paper Route opens. Snow is still pretty thick up that way.

Maybe a few weeks for things below Flow, like Boomerang. But there is a lot of snow still.

Thanks, I'll report back after this weekend. Headed up to check it out.

By means of an update, spent a long weekend up at the mountain. Its too bad they closed ski operations early this season, tons of snow remains. Bike park is open to a limited degree. Up/Downtown trials, Shotgun and Smooth operator. Super fun regardless of the limited terrain...everything is in great condition. Weather was incredible over the weekend and it was a ghost town.