Does this ski exist?

I'm looking for some new sticks. Aging brofessional that likes to go fast. Grew up racing. I like to stand on an edge. Favorite skis ever are 194 Rossi B Squads, the pop and energy you get from them, and especially the rebound coming out of a turn if you can actually load them up enough to bend them, is just joyful. I used to work in shops and keep up on gear and I just haven't for a while.

I'm getting old though. I used to just throw my whole heart and soul into every turn on those things and felt like I could drive them, but these days they feel like dead fish most of the time, and I spend the majority of my time on shorter sticks like 184 Legend 104s. Its not a strength issue, I lift, mtb etc and feel strong overall. I think its just I seem to be learning some finesse, becoming a bit more Dick Durrance than Herman Maier as I and my knees age. I still rip on my 104s, but my softer snow skis are all huge. Big Dumps, 200cm Iggy FFFs etc. I want something more akin to the 184 104 in terms of beefiness, but better in softer snow.

So I'm looking for new skis but basically everything I'm seeing has huge sidecut, like SL radius for mid 180s midfat and it seems hard to find anything longer. I hate that much sidecut, its not needed to make a ski carve on groomers, and is actually less enjoyable to carve than longer radius, and make its unstable in pow or chop, with way too much tip deflection.

Id like a radius around 25-35m. Rocker in the tip, no or minimal rocker in the tail, elliptical or 3d sidecut or whatever would be great. I could just leave it at that and see what you guys come up with, but I'd add, probably something just a bit softer and lighter and fatter and more forgiving than the Legend 104, but that still feels, personality wise, like a big charger. A little bit of carbon and a bit of Ti sounds nice, and it'd be cool if it was light enough to tour on. Mid to upper 180cm.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Never heard of a legend 184 104, must be some special edition bromodel.
    The ski you’re looking for is the Heritage Labs FL105.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I haven’t been on these, but they come to mind. Carbon but not likely to soft, big radius, charger personality. Subtle reverse though…

https://heritagelabskis.com/products/c113

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Never heard of a legend 184 104, must be some special edition bromodel.
    The ski you’re looking for is the Heritage Labs FL105.

Dynastars replacement for the legend pro. Lasted a few years. Couple sheets of metal but nowhere near as stiff as the bsquads.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I haven’t been on these, but they come to mind. Carbon but not likely to soft, big radius, charger personality. Subtle reverse though…

https://heritagelabskis.com/products/c113

Yea, I just do not like a ski with full rocker like that, looking more for like, camber, to minimal tail rocker in the last few cm of tail if anything. Thank you though.

Does this ski exist?

Tighter radius than you’re asking for, but the new 192 Legend Pro 108 is worth your consideration. I skied the 192 Legend Pro 105 daily for multiple years (I think the ski you are referring to as the 104) and the new ski is 97% of the old ski for charging straight but otherwise way more versatile and floats amazingly well. A nice blend of new school and old school. Worth demoing a pair.

Mantra 102’s should be high on the list. Might be ‘turny’ on paper but can do whatever you want with plenty of backbone and rebound. I’ve only demo’ed but i bet most owners would agree

The Heritage Lab FL105 192 is your friend, but longer than you're looking for. We did the sidecut on those specifically to care for B-Squad people. The 185s have the sidecut radius of the 192 LP105, so should be able to keep you happy.

Attached are decambered tip/tail shots, the FL105s on the left, plus one showing off the camber. Tail rocker really is minimal. Can't wait to ski mine.

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

The Moment Commander 108 fits the bill here, too. Been loving mine in this role. It's been discontinued and replaced with a 102mm version, but I expect it will rip just the same.

Maybe a Praxis FRD?

Blizzard Cochise 185
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Corvus, Cochise, commander, katana, fl105. The stated radius is dumb. A lot of these radii are not correct when you get to a rocker flat rocker, or minimal camber with rocker. Black crows adjusted the radius on the nocta from 21 to 25 two years ago with no update to the ski. Sometimes they look like something on paper that is very different then in the wild. I would try to demo one of those five skis.

How wide you looking for? The light enough to maybe tour part kind of throws the request. What does that mean to you? Under 2000g or under 2200g

Joey is right, most stated radia don't tell the story.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbrother49 View Post
    Blizzard Cochise 185
    Would second this.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Hey man,

if you are looking for a modern 184 Squad 104, I’d invite you to stop over and look at my FL105 in person. I am just at 9800 and Wasatch. That ski really was made for folks like you… surfy tip, enough camber and radius (27m) to hook up and bite well while also tracking large radius turns at speed, and just enough kick to the tail for the ski to release nicely and not beat up old man backs.

Very smooth build and overall ride while still being very responsive and rewarding at speed. Not light, but at 2350g it’s not heavy like an og squad, big dump, FFF etc, while still comparably damp.

just fwiw I am down to my last new pair of 185’s for the season, but generally around most afternoons, if you do want to stop by.

cheers,
    marshal
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 12-10-2023 at 10:55 AM.