Check Out Our Shop
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 813

Thread: MLB 2024 Thread

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,597
    Good article.
    This Dodgers team is good for baseball https://www.mlb.com/news/dodgers-are...=1703340769996

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,597
    5BREAKING: The Atlanta Braves are acquiring seven-time All-Star Chris Sale in a trade with the Boston Red Sox, sources tell ESPN. Well-regarded infield prospect Vaughn Grissom is the return to Boston, which will send money with Sale, who waived his no-trade clause to join Atlanta

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Posts
    11,938
    Wow. Hope sale can find it again. I think he’d be a killer bullpen arm if he wanted it

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Wow. Hope sale can find it again. I think he’d be a killer bullpen arm if he wanted it
    Killer bullpen arm and a cash machine

    ATLANTA (AP) — The Boston Red Sox will pay the Braves $17 million in equal installments of $8.5 million on April 1 and July 1 as part of last weekend's trade that sent left-hander Chris Sale to Atlanta.

    Sale's cost to Atlanta this year in effect will be $500,000. The 34-year-old has a $27.5 million salary, but that includes $10 million deferred until June 30, 2039.

    Sale is entering the final guaranteed season of a $160 million, six-year contract he signed with the Red Sox.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    16,405
    looks like beltre, helton, and mauer with sheffield really close to making it over the line:

    https://onedrive.live.com/edit?id=F2...e5d8fc5199dfaf
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    33,369
    The private ballots usually trend downward compared to the public ones.

    Sheffield has no chance. Beltre is a lock. Helton is going to be close based on the voting history. Wagner may be close too. If I was betting, I think both fall short though. None of these 3 have gained enough known votes to indicate that they will make it. Mauer, it's hard to tell because he has no voting history, but he is a good bit above the threshold right now.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    16,405
    Mauer was a really good catcher, one of the best ever. Could you go wrong with him or Posey or Posada behind the plate? not really.

    I agree that Beltre is in. Helton and Sheff were both quite good, not sure i’d punch a ticket for them. I used to think Helton was a lock.

    Maybe they should change the eligibility to ten years of retirement so there’d be a little less recency bias and keep some borderline candidates out.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Suckramento
    Posts
    21,609
    Posey and Posada both in. Mauer’s career was sadly shortened by injuries, maybe not enough games
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.


  9. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,597
    I hated his team through his entire career but Posey should be first ballot lock.
    Based on everything.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,822
    Happy trails, Michael Brantley. 10 years with the Indians, 5 with the Astros, a true professional hitter (.298 career) that many have credited with their approach at the plate and just how to be a big leaguer, including Frankie Lindor, Josey Ramirez and many others on that '16 World Series team.
    I still call it The Jake.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    16,405
    A real pro, he would have been loved like O’Neil in pinstripes.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,822
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    A real pro, he would have been loved like O’Neil in pinstripes.
    Isn't that the truth?

    I had a weird knack for running into Paul O'Neil whenever I was with this one college buddy in Cincinnati. He'd always casually say "hey Paul" as we'd pass him which I always thought was funny. But once he was pointed out I always noticed that he would spend as much time as someone wanted with him for an autograph or just to share a baseball memory of his. Very cool guy.
    I still call it The Jake.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,941
    It’s crazy to me that the greatest defensive center fielder in history isn’t gonna make it into the Hall. I know his career fell off a cliff at 30, but Andruw Jones deserves a spot in my opinion. Even with his quick decline he ended up with over 400 homers and almost 2,000 hits. Not to mention more WAR than a bunch of current Hall of Famers. But his defense alone should get him in. 10 straight gold gloves in a premium position and considered by many to be the best ever out there.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,822
    Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    It’s crazy to me that the greatest defensive center fielder in history isn’t gonna make it into the Hall. I know his career fell off a cliff at 30, but Andruw Jones deserves a spot in my opinion. Even with his quick decline he ended up with over 400 homers and almost 2,000 hits. Not to mention more WAR than a bunch of current Hall of Famers. But his defense alone should get him in. 10 straight gold gloves in a premium position and considered by many to be the best ever out there.
    Man if Kenny Lofton can't get in, who can?

    There's a whole bunch of players from those 90s Indians, Braves and Yankees teams that should be in one way or another.
    I still call it The Jake.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Man if Kenny Lofton can't get in, who can?

    There's a whole bunch of players from those 90s Indians, Braves and Yankees teams that should be in one way or another.
    It’s even crazier that Lofton was off the ballot in one year if I remember correctly.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    16,405
    sheff is still hanging in there. he was a great player but i don’t think many people are taking him before lofton in an imaginary draft.

    the mvp awards and roids both kind of fucked things up for players. the voters suck period (palmeiro gg forever unforgivable) and the numbers got so distorted with roids that the 90’s should just get their own wing to right some wrongs.

    In 1994 i was in sleep away camp and every week i’d get the standings in a letter from my mom and one day they just stopped coming.

    damn shame.

    fr though i should get to cooperstown one day to see what they have before instant suggesting wings. probably.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    16,405
    sheff is in the news talking trash about 04. kinda funny because likeability is worth about 30% of a vote these days. i would not be shocked if this keeps him out if he fails to make it on this ballot.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    sheff is in the news talking trash about 04. kinda funny because likeability is worth about 30% of a vote these days. i would not be shocked if this keeps him out if he fails to make it on this ballot.
    It’s his last year anyway. But he would be wise to look at how terrible he played the last four games of that series before talking shit.

    Teoscar Hernandez to the good guys on a 1 year deal with a shit load of deferrals. Not sure he is worth $23 million, but they definitely needed another guy who can rake against lefties. Not too much risk for one year.

    Mookie
    Shohei
    Freddie
    Smith
    Hernandez
    Muncy
    Heyward/Margot
    Outman
    Lux


    Glasnow
    Yamamoto
    Buehler
    Miller
    Sheehan/Yarbrough

    And hopefully Kershaw back after the All Star Break.

    A few questions but not too bad. Gonna be a fun 162. I’ll still be scared shitless in October though.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West By God Wyoming
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    the mvp awards and roids both kind of fucked things up for players. the voters suck period (palmeiro gg forever unforgivable) and the numbers got so distorted with roids that the 90’s should just get their own wing to right some wrongs.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,597
    Been discussed before but WTF MLB
    April 5th Opening day.
    Yankees want $100 a ticket to stand it what will likely be 40 degree weather, 45 if we are lucky, 32 if we arent.

    If only there were teams in warmer climates ....

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,597
    Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    It’s his last year anyway. But he would be wise to look at how terrible he played the last four games of that series before talking shit.

    Teoscar Hernandez to the good guys on a 1 year deal with a shit load of deferrals. Not sure he is worth $23 million, but they definitely needed another guy who can rake against lefties. Not too much risk for one year.

    Mookie
    Shohei
    Freddie
    Smith
    Hernandez
    Muncy
    Heyward/Margot
    Outman
    Lux


    Glasnow
    Yamamoto
    Buehler
    Miller
    Sheehan/Yarbrough

    And hopefully Kershaw back after the All Star Break.

    A few questions but not too bad. Gonna be a fun 162. I’ll still be scared shitless in October though.
    You forgot former Red Sox lefty Starter James Paxton....

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    16,405
    the dodgers might have the best IL in the game.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,597
    Mauer & Brltre were 2 of the best players I saw in my lifetime, I am 52 and have seen a lot of major league baseball.
    That's HOF worthy right there in my book.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,597
    Helton only played because Gallerga left, and even then he was no Larry Walker, so he's not even the best Rocky I saw at Coors.

    Meh

  25. #125
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Helton only played because Gallerga left, and even then he was no Larry Walker, so he's not even the best Rocky I saw at Coors.

    Meh
    That's how team sports work? Considering they're both in the HOF now, whichever one was your favorite doesn't matter so much.

    Cool to see former Rockies getting in. Now back to baseball irrelevance for the next decade.

    Sent from my SM-G988U using TGR Forums mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •