Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Buffy?!?!?

Buffy?!?!?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...r-18508936.php

https://www.thedailybeast.com/buffy-...lly-indigenous

This makes me angry, no matter which perspective I try to take on it.

Damn, I thought this was gonna be about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

^^^ Kristy Swanson or Sarah M Gellar?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Yes

^^^ It was a trick question. Yours is the only correct answer.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Is there a no one cares sub forum?

Yeah, its called Polyass.

I've read a more even-handed piece about Buffy and the evidence that she is not indigenous is less than convincing. Given the level of documentation one would expect in a small rural indigenous community in Canada in the 1940's it's not surprising there's no paper trail of her birth. Birth certificates listing the adoptive parents as the birth parents were common. For someone who was adopted as an infant it would not be surprising if decades later they have the timeline and other details wrong, even if the adoptive parents were entirely honest with her.

The best evidence that she is not of Italian (father) and English (mother) origin--look at her.

There has clearly been a vendetta against her by the author of the Chronicle piece. It very much sounds like she decided Buffy was not First Nations and then went trying to find evidence for but not against her hypothesis. Not something that belongs in a reputable newspaper.

I suppose next we are going to find out that Buffy never slayed any vampires and it was all made up.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Buffy?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Im changing my answer to Faith or Cordelia?
    Last edited by mcski; 11-26-2023 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've read a more even-handed piece about Buffy and the evidence that she is not indigenous is less than convincing. Given the level of documentation one would expect in a small rural indigenous community in Canada in the 1940's it's not surprising there's no paper trail of her birth. Birth certificates listing the adoptive parents as the birth parents were common. For someone who was adopted as an infant it would not be surprising if decades later they have the timeline and other details wrong, even if the adoptive parents were entirely honest with her.

The best evidence that she is not of Italian (father) and English (mother) origin--look at her.

There has clearly been a vendetta against her by the author of the Chronicle piece. It very much sounds like she decided Buffy was not First Nations and then went trying to find evidence for but not against her hypothesis. Not something that belongs in a reputable newspaper.
    Disagree.

While I do agree that she certainly looks aboriginal, CBC did a very in depth investigation. They talked to her siblings who suggested she was born (as her birth certificate suggests) to a "white" family. Her brother (who had nothing to gain by outing her years previously) was threatened with legal action by Buffy in the past. He did not have deep pockets, she did, he cease and desisted.

While she certainly advocated for first peoples' rights, was a role model for countless first nation folks, and overall could be seen as a force for good, there can be no ignoring that she is most likely guilty of cultural appropriation. Further, she became famous (and wealthy) based on what appears to be a big fat lie.

As to her being adopted into a first nation clan in Saskatchewan, that is all well and good. That doesn't make her aboriginal.

Sorry, while I do still love some of her music, Buffy is tainted for me.

Although I am thankful for her keeping us safe with her vampire slaying abilities.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

And there you have it: there does seem to be reason to consider the possibility, but will it really achieve anything? Was she materialistically successful? Yes. Did it do any significant damage to native north Americans? Not the I can see, in fact , quite the contrary it would seem. I see no harm in whatever her history may be in the immediate controversy. It's not like she pushed verified Native American off the platform, or had no talent whatsoever besides her claim to lineage.

Maybe some doors were opened for her as a result of her lies? Maybe some awards and funding was given to her that should have gone to someone else who actually deserved it? Im not asking rhetorically - I dont know the answers - but I can imagine lots of ways her lying could have easily impacted others - not to say further ingrain the idea that white people have historically taken advantage of indigenous people for profit.

Buffy, Buffy, come back to me
    Whyd you have to go and O.D.?
    Wholl take care of Mrs. Beasley?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Whatever her ancestry is, its in her DNA.

I also thought the CBC investigation was reasonably well presented.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1701061696.882747.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	764.2 KB 
ID:	477474 Season 1 Buffy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Jailbait until season 3

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Jailbait until season 3
    Right! Subtext to forbidden vampire romance with Angel in Season 2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1701096277.522946.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	477489

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hard to believe Sarah Michelle Gellar is 46 years old. It seems like yesterday that she was jailbait, onscreen. IRL she was almost 20 in March of 1997 when Buffy debuted.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Why’d you have to go and O.D.?
    Who’ll take care of Mrs. Beasley?
    Everytime I here the name Buffy that exactly the tune I sing in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Right wing humor is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Maybe some doors were opened for her as a result of her lies? Maybe some awards and funding was given to her that should have gone to someone else who actually deserved it? I’m not asking rhetorically - I don’t know the answers - but I can imagine lots of ways her lying could have easily impacted others - not to say further ingrain the idea that white people have historically taken advantage of indigenous people for profit.
    Hmmm.... Sounds familiar:

Take it to polyass you fucking inbred moron.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Whatever her ancestry is, it’s in her DNA.
    Yep. Seems like Buffy could easily quash this story simply by presenting DNA evidence. The fact she has not doesn't prove anything, but seems suspicious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Why’d you have to go and O.D.?
    Who’ll take care of Mrs. Beasley?
    Next they'll be saying Mr. French wasn't really French.

Or Russian dressing is really Thousand Island dressing.