Spot heating liner using wax iron (intuition type)

I have some heat moldable liners in my Dynafit Hoji Pro tour that fit really well except for at the ankle bones (medial malleolus). Itís fine for some hours but after a full ski day itís getting beat up. Iím trying to find out a way to adjust only that area. One idea is to use a waxing iron (got a digital one with good temperature control) and a tennisball to squeeze compress the liner at the ankle bone . Does that seem like a good idea?
    I spot adjusted the toe of some Garmont liners using a heat gun back in the days, it worked, buts itís a risky business.

I've never tried using an iron for liner molding - seems like a good way to melt a liner. Heat gun works well.

You don't have access to a hair dryer even?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Direct contact with an iron seems like a very bad idea.

I say give it a go, but you want heat on both sides so maybe drop the tennis ball in a fryer for a few seconds first.

You could also try tech talk ten year jong!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Get a very small ‘microwaveable heating pad’, carefully increase heating time until it’s hot but not smoking hot, drop into the area of the liner you need to remold for a full ten minutes.

Had worked well for me for many years and many liners. Often I’ll need a bit more room in the toebox for example.
    Want taller, better heel risers for your Marker Alpinists? Check this out

28.5 TransAlp Pro boots for sale.

Or go buy a set of knee high womenís hose. And a bag of rice
    Fill stocking with enough rice to fit in the area you want molded
    Microwave rice/sock till itís real hot - depends on volume of rice and microwave power. Prolly 3-6 minutes if just size of tennis ball.

Then follow froriderís instructions above

Oh yeah, after the ten minutes remove the rice bag and insert your foot (without a sock would be good, but otherwise use the other stocking you just bought)

See https://intuitionliners.com/home-fitting/

Same principle as froriderís method, just a likely cheaper heating medium. Iíve used the same sock of rice for ten years.

Use a heat gun or hair drier.
    Use a heating pad.
    Use anything other than a hot waxing iron and direct contact. Maybe, MAYBE through some layers of towels. The minimum temp on waxing irons is listed as 100C or 212F. So yeah.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

back in the day I was at Intuition factory outlet in Vangroovy and I watched Crystal the fitting guru spot heat a liner, she spot heated with a heat gun and then rubbed the spot with something blunt like the end of a screwdriver and she said only do this once

but you can always e-mail or phone the intuition people eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A hot iron on plastic sounds like a brilliant idea

Maybe try a lighter or matches next

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Or go buy a set of knee high women’s hose. And a bag of rice
    Fill stocking with enough rice to fit in the area you want molded
    Microwave rice/sock till it’s real hot - depends on volume of rice and microwave power. Prolly 3-6 minutes if just size of tennis ball.

Then follow frorider’s instructions above

Oh yeah, after the ten minutes remove the rice bag and insert your foot (without a sock would be good, but otherwise use the other stocking you just bought)

See https://intuitionliners.com/home-fitting/

Same principle as frorider’s method, just a likely cheaper heating medium. I’ve used the same sock of rice for ten years.
    Those microwave pads are filled with various things…flax seed, rice, whatever. The main thing is to find one small enough to be useful for a boot liner.

I keep my foot i there 15 mins and if possible go outside so they cool off faster
    Want taller, better heel risers for your Marker Alpinists? Check this out

28.5 TransAlp Pro boots for sale.

Agreed. We have a bunch of those MW heat pads, just none small enough to fit just in the ankle pocket.

I have like three pair of the intuition home fit kits. Have made up three bags of rice with them - one for whole boot, one for tongue and one for ankle pocket.

Never thought about standing in the boots outside to cool ‘em off faster.
    But that would deprive me of the extended agony that is boot fitting…

word of advice: it's worth using a new sock and not a used sock.

Also if you have a problem area, I like to put some foam around that area on my foot when I put my foot back in the boot to help emphasize that area and further pack it out/mold it.