Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Anyone here under 30 years old?

Man. Back in the day. I felt old as a mid 30 dude.
    This forum was the best. Saved my sanity in office cubicle life.

But lately itís a bunch of aarp social security types.
    Iím not far off at 55 now. But wtf. Will the trg survive? Is Kai the future?

PS. Is newschoolers still a thing?

dunfree will save us.

I think Internet forums are dying out. Young people don't use it. It's just like Facebook, FB is for the elderly to post dumb memes and bitch about young people.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Man. Back in the day. I felt old as a mid 30 dude.
    This forum was the best. Saved my sanity in office cubicle life.

But lately itís a bunch of aarp social security types.
    Iím not far off at 55 now. But wtf. Will the trg survive? Is Kai the future?

PS. Is newschoolers still a thing?
    the tof henry thread and the kai injury thread must have scared all youngsters away

newschoolers should be called oldschoolers

I think that my days here may be numbered. Then again, I have thought that for the past 10 years, or so. Involuntarily, my skiing has changed. Lots of wear and tear built in. I no longer really jump off of anything over 5 feet. I ski slower. I stop more frequently. I don't want to slow down, but physically, keeping up with very good 20-30 year old rippers seems farther and farther from reality. Last year, I started a thread https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ngful+ski+days Are My Meaningful Ski Days Coming To An End. I don't want to be restricted to skiing groomers at DV when I am 65-70. I get no kick out of that. I want to ski High Boy, Mach Schnell and Gunsight, etc. top to bottom. It is becoming frustrating and I don't want to hang around just to be another old fuck that people laugh at. Hey, at least I am 64, still walking and still skiing 60-100 days/year. Hopefully that will last another decade, but who knows. If I were a young gun, it might be hard for me to put up with who I have become. Certainly, I do not want to out stay my welcome. This doesn't mean that if I stopped posting and saw you guys on the hill, I wouldn't say hi, hit the safety hut, or take a ballistic lap with you. It just means that soon the time may come for a younger group here.
    It's the same with women. If I were not married what hot 20-30 something would want to get naked with me, unless she is a gold digger. In my mind, the answer is none.
    This is not to say that all the old motherfuckers around here won't stick around forever. Some will. It is a hard place to give up.
    ďHow does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I donít know, go ask Rory GallagherĒ. ó Jimi Hendrix

Anyone here under 30 years old?

They are all on the TRG Discord channel

Iíve often thought some poster was way younger than they were and other times I thought someone was much older than they were

I remember my 7th grade buddies dad telling bus he was gonna do the groomer instead of the moguls because he liked to stop and smell the roses. Seemed weird. And he was way younger than I am now. Regardless, sliding on snow is fun so who cares if you can or canít rip anymore. Fuck em, keep posting

Unfortunately, forums are a thing of the past. I've been on here for close to 30 years, though more involved the past 10. I hope younger people start coming on. There's a lot of wisdom here that was helpful when I was younger.

Discord/Reddit are where younger folks are now. Not sure where. The Reddit ski subs are all full of Jerries asking what 85mm ski they should buy and arguing about if everyone should be forced to wear helmets.

Carlos Danger is under 30.. Almost posted in the so old thread that I remember ski clubs... which became forums.. which became facebook groups which became reddits and discords..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

About to be the 18th anniversary of my 29th birthday...I guess I was under 30 for the first couple months on here.

So...no.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

I'm 29. This is also the closest thing I have to social media, so you can read into that what you will.

Not me. I'm old too. Just signed up for medicare.

In my old opinion, forums have something that reddit doesn't. Somehow it feels more community.

Whenever the developer who helps with our forum doesn't want to help me with something, he says "give it up dude, reddit is where it is at."

Early 30s, lurking for longer. Agree that forums are important. The way threads bump and stay alive, and that you come to recognize people matters.

I use TGR and bmw forums to get information from people that actually interact with things directly and frequently. Most users on the snowboarding reddit don't live near the mountains. Most users on the bmw e36 forums are 19 and unaware that every question they are asking has been answered 5 times and recorded on the actual forum.

Just because you can't rip like you used to doesn't mean you don't belong here. It's actually the opposite, the tales from the past and local knowledge and stoke from old heads is a big part of the appeal. I've read through a lot of early mid oughts forum threads, they were often trash. Blatant homophobia, misogyny, and just pure ape behavior was the norm. I want to believe the forums remaining are carrying the best of what these places offer- the internets original promise of connecting people and way less of the anonymity fueled indecency and hive mind dogpiling and echoing that have become emblematic of all social media.

I hope they hold out. I'll keep doing my part and posting for the sake of it.

I'm at the tail end of my 30s, and grew up on forums. Hard to keep them alive but while they are they are invaluable.

30 on the nose just this year. Other than insta, Iíve abandoned all other forms of social media. And I donít even post on there anymore or look at what friends are doing- mainly get recipes, workout ideas, travel stuff, and ski vids.

Posting here is inconsistent, but I do try from time to time. The best for me is just posting in the ski forum, and the Missoula/MT Stoke threads had been my home for the last few years. Weíll see what the PNW brings- if it snows then all will be good in the world.

wait, you gotta rip to be here?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I think that my days here may be numbered. Then again, I have thought that for the past 10 years, or so. Involuntarily, my skiing has changed. Lots of wear and tear built in. I no longer really jump off of anything over 5 feet. I ski slower. I stop more frequently. I don't want to slow down, but physically, keeping up with very good 20-30 year old rippers seems farther and farther from reality. Last year, I started a thread https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ngful+ski+days Are My Meaningful Ski Days Coming To An End. I don't want to be restricted to skiing groomers at DV when I am 65-70. I get no kick out of that. I want to ski High Boy, Mach Schnell and Gunsight, etc. top to bottom. It is becoming frustrating and I don't want to hang around just to be another old fuck that people laugh at. Hey, at least I am 64, still walking and still skiing 60-100 days/year. Hopefully that will last another decade, but who knows. If I were a young gun, it might be hard for me to put up with who I have become. Certainly, I do not want to out stay my welcome. This doesn't mean that if I stopped posting and saw you guys on the hill, I wouldn't say hi, hit the safety hut, or take a ballistic lap with you. It just means that soon the time may come for a younger group here.
    It's the same with women. If I were not married what hot 20-30 something would want to get naked with me, unless she is a gold digger. In my mind, the answer is none.
    This is not to say that all the old motherfuckers around here won't stick around forever. Some will. It is a hard place to give up.
    Getting after it changes as you get older. You might get to the point where you really can't charge as hard as you once did but the need for the mountain vibe never goes away. My dad turned 80 this year and he is planning on skiing (and raising hell as an 80 y/o can do) and he's pretty excited about it. It will become whatever you make of it you just need to keep going and enjoy yourself. My dad and his friend No Good Pete are looking for a big season what ever that means. At 80 I think it means just showing up and thinking you are a bad ass. Maybe smoke a pipe and have some DR Magillicuddys on the lift until 11 AM then to Gepettos for some lunch. Don't ever give up because you can't do what you used to do. BTW I'll be 55 in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb McHardman View Post
    I'm 29. This is also the closest thing I have to social media, so you can read into that what you will.
    Yessss
    Winner.

Have you considered being a trg moderator?
    Free bathrobe and schwag

This forum and the Tangerine Dream got me through my second round of higher education in 2006(!). Gotta say Iím very happy with what skiing is for me now, but certainly surprised itís been that long. Tech Talk has taught me a great deal of useful info and Iíve finally learned to follow the regional threads and trip reportsÖ

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I'm teaching my kid (17) to hate social media, rely on forums like this and our fishing forum to meet marginally tolerable like-minded dirt bags. Forums may not be epic hubs of interaction, but they're still a thing.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Iím 30 but only been here officially for the last few years and lurked before that. Definitely like this form of media a lot better than Facebook/Instagram with all the bullshit that gets posted on there.

I'm old but glad to see there are some younger members. TGR is far and away a better source of authentic ski stoke and valuable information than any other social media platform by far. Thin-skinned Jerrys don't last long here.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yessss
    Winner.

Have you considered being a trg moderator?
    Free bathrobe and schwag
    The free bathrobe is truly tempting--does it come with an 8 ball in the breast pocket?

I do have a soft spot for forums like TRG because they tend to attract some amount of people who actually know what the fuck they're talking about, unlike the cesspools that are Reddit/FB/Insta, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    Getting after it changes as you get older. You might get to the point where you really can't charge as hard as you once did but the need for the mountain vibe never goes away. My dad turned 80 this year and he is planning on skiing (and raising hell as an 80 y/o can do) and he's pretty excited about it. It will become whatever you make of it you just need to keep going and enjoy yourself. My dad and his friend No Good Pete are looking for a big season what ever that means. At 80 I think it means just showing up and thinking you are a bad ass. Maybe smoke a pipe and have some DR Magillicuddys on the lift until 11 AM then to Gepettos for some lunch. Don't ever give up because you can't do what you used to do. BTW I'll be 55 in a few weeks.
    well said.

and schindlerpiste : the hot 20-30 somethings would probably bore one who's been around the sun double that. they grew up with short-attention span, self-objectifying/obsessing social media, post-reality vapidity. (no offense to the more damanding and and discerning younger folk here)

unless you're into that type :

and good to see said demanding and discerning younger folk who get it about this place. truly unique in my experience for its level of community and its long run of consistecy. quality people and a generous spirit throughout. and a no bullshit ethos.
    Last edited by buckethead; 11-18-2023 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    .... Thin-skinned Jerrys ....

back on TTips,
    someone described TGR forums as a "bar fight"

lulz!

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I'm 39 and pretty sure I'm one of the youngest regular posters on here. And I have been on here since 2003 really. The old powder mag board days.

The young kids aren't doing forums as said above. And the really cool younger kids are not even getting smart phones anymore. Seriously. It's coming full circle.