Check Out Our Shop
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
    Drastic change from Sunday to today.
    Did not freeze up there last night ( and reportedly not sun night either). Felt a bit sketchy so I bailed out.
    Needs to get cold overnight again.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    <snip>
    Needs to get cold overnight again.
    And that seems unlikely given the 7-day forecast...

THE Aspen/Snowmass / Greater Roaring Fork Valley 23-24 Thread

Rode the Buttermilk Bowl loop today for my first time. Only three little muddy spots, including a snowpile to go around.

That is a fun one that I could see myself doing regularly. Of course, an 80 year old couple passed me on the way to the Cliffhouse on e-bikes, and then they road down government trail.

Coming up behind them, you could hear the husband asking the wife if she was alright. They were definitely going down slower than they went up.

Luckily after a hundred yards or so of me following them, they pulled over.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Basalt Mtn is an entanglement of blowdowns right now and ditch trail has blown out in a few places.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Rode the Buttermilk Bowl loop today for my first time. Only three little muddy spots, including a snowpile to go around.

That is a fun one that I could see myself doing regularly.

Isn’t that accessed by going through the gate behind the warming hut at the top of the West Buttermilk chair? I thought that was part of the seasonal Elk closure?

Pretty sure I'm inhaling an 8 ball of pollen per hour on every ride lately, I don't think I have ever seen it this bad

Sugar Bowl and Government are closed till 6/27.
    Gretch probably took the trail, just above the Cliff House.

Yes, the pollen’s as bad as I’ve seen.

I’m hitting Powerline around 8 everyday, at least until they open the lifts.

Buttermilk is good to go. The snow pile is pretty small and the mud around it is limited. I was sick last week and have been pummeled by the pollen, but it was great to be out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1717883203.438707.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	494709

Bandit continues to rattle my bike apart. No more trail; just roots. Guess I’ll probably start just riding Sugar Bowls>>Govy in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Sugar Bowl and Government are closed till 6/27.
    Gretch probably took the trail, just above the Cliff House.
    Yes, that is correct, to stay below the closure. It is a fun option, although not on the map. I watched another guy keep heading up, but I did not follow.

As a big archery hunter whose most beloved species is the mighty wapiti…you won’t find me break any calving rules. I think the closures are a great thing and just pray we are not too late. Don’t want our herd ending up where the vail herd is now.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

What Vail herd? There are just a few pockets of cows and a couple bulls left.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What Vail herd? There are just a few pockets of cows and a couple bulls left.
    Shit, is it really that bad?

Guess it’s the inevitable outcome from slicing and dicing their historical range over and over

Most of the Aspen herd was decimated during the mining days of the late 1800’s.
    In 1913 the Elk’s Lodge imported some from Jackson Hole.

https://www.aspentimes.com/entertain...importing-elk/

Yesterday I rode West Government from Campground to the closure east of Powerline.

About as lomey as it gets here.
    Little bit of snow at the half pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Shit, is it really that bad?

Guess it’s the inevitable outcome from slicing and dicing their historical range over and over
    Yeah…it’s really bad. The Vail Valley and Roaring Fork Valley have so much tourism and human traffic in the BC (I am also part of the problem) that calving numbers have really dropped. It’s great that we are taking some action, but elk just don’t adapt to human activity like mullies and will self abort because they think they need to save themselves.

Anywho…time to go ride!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1718592171.225356.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	495167

Road Prince Creek up over the crown to upper crown royal, they down Vastean and rio grande back to prince creek.

Upper crown royal was pretty great. 26.5 miles, 3k of climbing. My biggest ride so far….i am tired. ?

Keep hearing upper crown royale is incredible. Living in SMV it's hard to leave the backyard at this point in the season but I need to get down there and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Keep hearing upper crown royale is incredible. Living in SMV it's hard to leave the backyard at this point in the season but I need to get down there and check it out.
    It was pretty fun and I don’t think it will get over tracked due to not being a quick ride for access. I need to look the map a bit to see the fastest and easiest way to get to the top of it and back to my truck without a shuttle.