Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    As a PTOV "employee," I will say that the new policy strongly encourages you to keep your mountain gig so you never have to reserve parking. It's definitely a positive incentive to attract and retain employees. I know I am incentivized to keep my gig long-term. The resort generally gives crappy benes, but this is a big one.

I also note that a LOT of PT's social media posts over the last six months have been focused on how great it is to work on the hill. The whole Donny Pelletier series, with Rahlves and Moseley and cat drivers, lift operators, snowmakers, etc, all talking about HOW AWESOME it is to (get paid shitty to) work on the hill. They leave the low pay out of the messaging, but it's clear that PT is really desperate to attract a workforce. It wasn't just the snow last year that put a damper on ops - it was the lack of employees.

Can it please snow now? Riding has been amazing this fall, but I'm ready to start sliding on snowssssssss

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1164 (1).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	477558
    Last edited by meter-man; 11-27-2023 at 04:22 PM.
    sproing!

^well the afternoon noaa update is encouraging for the fri-sat storm
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    As a PTOV "employee," I will say that the new policy strongly encourages you to keep your mountain gig so you never have to reserve parking. It's definitely a positive incentive to attract and retain employees. I know I am incentivized to keep my gig long-term. The resort generally gives crappy benes, but this is a big one.

I also note that a LOT of PT's social media posts over the last six months have been focused on how great it is to work on the hill. The whole Donny Pelletier series, with Rahlves and Moseley and cat drivers, lift operators, snowmakers, etc, all talking about HOW AWESOME it is to (get paid shitty to) work on the hill. They leave the low pay out of the messaging, but it's clear that PT is really desperate to attract a workforce. It wasn't just the snow last year that put a damper on ops - it was the lack of employees.
    Cool that you became a troller and I’m sure we will all appreciate additional insights / info in this thread this season. Agree the free parking for employees is a nice upside the same way a free pass used to be when they were pretty expensive. This will definitely lead to a lot of “hey are you working tomorrow?” text messages for various folks and it does encourage more carpooling so that’s good.

I got a kick out of some of those social media posts in recent months featuring some previous employees they had let go.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Also regarding employee perks and parking. There are excellent incentives for employees to carpool at Schralpine Ghettos. Mountain "cash" that makes for basically a free lunch each day.

It's the same incentives that might actually make a difference if they offered it to us slackers.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Name:	IMG_2015.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	430.8 KB 
ID:	477610
    Up at Rose yesterday afternoon. Place was empty. By the time I left at 3:00 there was maybe 25 cars in the lot, which was nice.

Name:	IMG_2011.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	636.5 KB 
ID:	477612
    They managed to get a 2nd run open which gets afternoon sun. Made for some ok turns.

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	573.7 KB 
ID:	477613
    Anything not under the guns needs snow.

Name:	IMG_2020.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	477614
    Headed down to check out some mid week Mammoth today.

So the plan is to reserve Alpine for this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Can it please snow now? Riding has been amazing this fall, but I'm ready to start sliding on snowssssssss

Name:	IMG_1164 (1).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	477558
    For a company that claims to need employees, they do a good job of driving people away. I've never been into the idea of working at a ski area, for various reasons. But they do have a few nice perks, so last season I applied for a position I had plenty of experience in that would have worked well with my schedule. I was scheduled for a phone interview, called the manager at the arranged time, no answer so left a message. No response, a few days later an email stating I was not selected for the position. This season I applied for a different position that again I am well qualified for. This time just an email saying no thanks. Granted, I'm kinda cherry picking some positions that might be a little more desirable, but that kind of shit makes me question why anyone would want to work there.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Also regarding employee perks and parking. There are excellent incentives for employees to carpool at Schralpine Ghettos. Mountain "cash" that makes for basically a free lunch each day.

It's the same incentives that might actually make a difference if they offered it to us slackers.
    Got a link or more info? I’d take some “cash!”

TJ: will do. The only takeaway I had from the town hall was that I really shouldn’t rent my car out on busy weekends for guaranteed parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sproing!

LOL, when companies say that can't hire people what they really mean is that they can't hire people for the job, salary and pay that they want to pay. I doubt ski resorts would have trouble finding lifties if they made $100k+ with full benefits during the season . Desirable positions may already be spoken for but they may still have to advertise for legal reasons of fairness (not 100% sure though).

Not defending the ski companies but inflation both for wages and energy must be eating into their profit margins making investors not happy. Lower energy prices this season may help a little but they are still inflated from COVID times when they were super low and all investors care about are increasing profit margins.

The partner and I are planning to go pass-less this year, especially since we didn't buy into the mega pass early rates. Anyone know how good the "alternative" resorts in the Tahoe area are? Eg. Boreal, Tahoe Donner, Ski Ranch, Sugar Bowl, Rose. Plan is to hit them up for short days and spend longer days in the backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    The partner and I are planning to go pass-less this year, especially since we didn't buy into the mega pass early rates. Anyone know how good the "alternative" resorts in the Tahoe area are? Eg. Boreal, Tahoe Donner, Ski Ranch, Sugar Bowl, Rose. Plan is to hit them up for short days and spend longer days in the backcountry.
    From your list, Sugar Bowl and Mt Rose are the only two larger ones with good terrain, that aren't on Ikon or Epic. There's also Homewood, which is fun on pow days and has great views. Diamond Peak has the views and decent tree skiing on pow days.

I'll be at Rose a lot, and my pass has buddy tickets you're welcome to. (4 per pass IIRC.). I don't think I've ever been able to give them away. Everyone I ski with has a Rose pass anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Be sure to check out sugar bowls policy for what's scheduled to open on certain days before buying unless you're going for bc access. Also you didn't mention Sierra at Tahoe, although it sounds like you're on the north shore.

Soda Springs was noticeably absent from the list.
    And Diamond Peak, too…
    Sure, they’re small, but also super fun when they have decent coverage.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Sugar Bowl says they limit day tickets although there was at least one day last year when parking was full and cars were parking out on Donner Pass Rd. It's possible some of those people were turned away at the ticket booth I suppose.
    Sugar Bowl does still have passes available--the midweek pass is a good deal if midweek is your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    The partner and I are planning to go pass-less this year...
    Mt.Rose has some day tix specials.
    Mondays is *hospitality industry* now. $70 I think.
    Tuesday is 2 fer 1 lift tix.
    Thurs is cheap tix for women.
    Friday pm for $65 maybe.
    Sunday locals discount. $99?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Finally made it to some lift served and thought I would do some groomer laps and head back home, but after the first lap I noticed there was nothing keeping a soul from wandering up loop road and up into the hidden knolls. it was better than the groomers anyway.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Anyone have an idea of when they might open the magic carpets for the kiddos at alpine?

From their blog - https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/oper...-for-saturday/
    Subway, Meadow, and the Big Carpet will be added to the schedule starting Saturday, December 2nd for daily operations from 9am-4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Sugar Bowl says they limit day tickets although there was at least one day last year when parking was full and cars were parking out on Donner Pass Rd. It's possible some of those people were turned away at the ticket booth I suppose.
    Sugar Bowl does still have passes available--the midweek pass is a good deal if midweek is your thing.
    SB had only one day last year with max 30% lift capacity. Every other day had good parking and good lift lines. Worth it.
    Last edited by slaidanlt; 11-29-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Are these still the best options for lessons for kiddos at Alpine/Palisades?

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/plan-...k-ski-programs

or https://www.palisadestahoe.com/event...shooting-stars

or https://www.palisadestahoe.com/event...untain-rangers

Or if you need flexibility, at least https://www.palisadestahoe.com/plan-...ackages/take-4

We're weekend warriors at this point so as much as I'd love to do midweek, its just not in the cards.

Appreciate the beta, looks like Rose and Sugar Bowl are the ones to check out. Can't wait to try the lift-served BC at SB.

I wonder way AM decided to make snow only on Weasel and now subway and Meadow. No manmade on RH/Summit runout, which is where they've always made snow in the past. Maybe just too much to cover with no natural cover. Early season the upper bowls often have enough natural snow bove RH but you need the manmade to get down.
    In the same vein it would be nice if they made snow on the lower part of Shirley.
    Anyway, Weasel beats Gold Coast laps.
    Last edited by old goat; 11-29-2023 at 05:02 PM.

G2A would know better, but I always thought they usually opened Kangaroo first most seasons…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

^maybe the addition of TLC allows them to focus on the more north facing runs to start?

(speaking of G2A)...Arising like a phoenix from the awsome seasons of the past...
    Cinders rode the 174BRO's today...and liked them!
    They will be tasting snow in their old age
    Thanks to ElChup, G2A, jla415 and of course Splat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231129_135245.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	477782

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...