Check Out Our Shop
Page 101 of 103 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2563
    you’re way more patient than I am - 1230 arrival would drive me insane
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I thought the customer was always right . But then again the definition of success matters. Did the parking system make a meaningful difference to traffic? No. Did the parking system show Palisades that they can implement new revenue streams from things that were previously free? Yes. Maybe reservations for tables at the lodge are next? Higher, I mean dynamic, parking and food prices on powder days? Pay to get to the front of the line on pow days? The possibilities are endless.
    You guys keep talking about how well the parking reservation system works when you go. A large part of it's success is based on those that don't go. In the past, there were thousands of people each weekend thinking they were taking their family skiing, only to wait hours in traffic and never make it anywhere near the hill. Making that go away IS a big success.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Anyone skied the Chutes at Mt. Rose recently? Considering heading up there to do a couple laps before Sky Tavern's opening day tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    You guys keep talking about how well the parking reservation system works when you go. A large part of it's success is based on those that don't go. In the past, there were thousands of people each weekend thinking they were taking their family skiing, only to wait hours in traffic and never make it anywhere near the hill. Making that go away IS a big success.
    If the reservations were free I'd agree with you. That reservation system with zero transparency is a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    Anyone skied the Chutes at Mt. Rose recently? Considering heading up there to do a couple laps before Sky Tavern's opening day tomorrow.
    I’ve seen Instagram shots of them being skied recently, can’t vouch for how good it was though, looked ok

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    On the way back from skiing SV Tuesday I pulled over and checked them out. They looked really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^How was OV today?

I got up at 6:45, put on my gear and then never left the house, mostly because it’s been rather windy in my hood (and I couldn’t decide which boots or skis to use, either!).

Gonna rally early tomorrow, though regardless.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    On the way back from skiing SV Tuesday I pulled over and checked them out. They looked really good.

I skied El Cap this morning and conditions were great at 10 am. Perfect corn the whole way down.

^what was your approach?

Car shuttle from Mt Rose trailhead parking lot?
    Bootpack up the chute?
    Skin from Winter Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    ^what was your approach?

Car shuttle from Mt Rose trailhead parking lot?
    Bootpack up the chute?
    Skin from Winter Creek?
    First lap we skinned up Zephyr lift line to the cat track, then took that to the top of El Cap. Skied down to Chuter (where we left 2 cars), and drove to the parking lot at Mt. Rose summit. Skinned up Around the World to the top of El Cap then skied down to Chuter again.

Right on!
    Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2661.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	493920
    Across the meadow, last Monday on my way to Mammoth.

^How was OV today?

I got up at 6:45, put on my gear and then never left the house, mostly because it’s been rather windy in my hood (and I couldn’t decide which boots or skis to use, either!).

Gonna rally early tomorrow, though regardless.
    Good. Best snow was hiking to the west face. Snow is little heavy and slow in spots, it hasn’t frozen in days. but on the steep runs you wouldn’t notice as much. Better chance for a freeze tonight so hopefully that should keep it better for longer.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

^ Couldn't believe how great West Face was!

Also got several good laps in the Saddle and Snag Cliffs areas.

West Face good enough to make me wanna go back.

Agreed it's gonna get WAY colder tonight.
    Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2661.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	493920
    Across the meadow, last Monday on my way to Mammoth.
    Is they a cat track going up 10?

How was Mammoth?

I found OV to be underwhelming on Saturday with no wind and plenty of sun making the snow really slow. I didn’t find the best zones to ski. The mountain biking on the other hand is in prime condition. So many people were parked at the Jackass trailhead for good reason.

Sunday on the other hand was amazing, the partly cloudy and windy conditions kept the snow great mostly everywhere I skied. The snakes were highly entertaining on Shirley and corkscrew as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'll be skiing with my two younger kids at OV on Saturday and Mammy on Sunday. Looks like a possible cool down as usual for Memorial Day weekend?

Anyone want these? Shoot me an offer and I'll bring to OV on Friday evening.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/spo...748829246.html

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I don't like the parking reservation system for the reasons you listed. Lucky enough not to have had to use the app to book parking either, so I'm sure I missed lots of unpleasant experiences with that.

But are people seriously arguing that traffic was not substantially better on 89 this winter on weekends? I went to PT ~30 days on weekends, always in the morning, and never had a long drive. Maybe one or two days, at most. Last year (granted, a mega snowyear), every single weekend day was a horrific grind and took substantially longer, leaving at the same times.

Leaving from Glenshire and (usually) needed to arrive at the ski area by 7:40 or so, so that's my frame of reference.

Do people really think that traffic on 89 was not substantially better?

All that said, I don't like the reservation system, and the pricing associated with it. They're just getting us ready for requiring payment for every parking space and them all being in a stinky underground parking garage under the waterpark, Vail-style. barf.
    You make a good point. However how much of it of was the reservation system and how much of it were other factors such as the late start to the season, reverting to mean after COVID and people changing their behavior after the bad experience they had last season with traffic. No one really knows but IMO other factors played a much bigger role.

Also, a key point is that the reservation system is still untested in a big snow year with high demand so we don’t know how it will work when it is really critical. A reservation system always “reduces” traffic and is a big success when less people come to the mountain for other reasons.

wow they just slammed that cattrak up the face of the wall - really impressive actually when you consider how darn steep that is.

crazy that after poking all around the east side etc, good old carson pass seems to be holding snow the best.

darn they could run every lift frontside lift and be like 85% open with this coverage still

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    wow they just slammed that cattrak up the face of the wall - really impressive actually when you consider how darn steep that is.

crazy that after poking all around the east side etc, good old carson pass seems to be holding snow the best.

darn they could run every lift frontside lift and be like 85% open with this coverage still
    Same as it ever was.

After a 2 hour early morning drive I discovered I left my pack at home

Rallied back in time to salvage my day on Freel today, with freezes back on the menu and north consolidated its game on again.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 05-20-2024 at 10:16 PM.

I can feel my toes getting scrunched up into my ski boots just watching.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Snow was pretty decent today at OV.
    I schussed from 9:45-noon.
    They weren’t running Headwall.
    And while they probably closed KT a bit early, everything on the West Bowl side from the lift to the Saddle is pretty burnt now, with most of the exits dirted and rocked out. Ditto for GS Bowl; most of the exits are burnt
    They have the upper road of lower Mountain Run closed at the Chute 75 exit as it’s all melted out down to dirt.
    That said, quite a few folks were doing the Reverse Traverse and I think making their way over to stuff off The Saddle.
    Best snow was the ridge off of Siberia.
    Mainline was open, but they closed it sometime between 10:45 and 11:30 (I tried to hit it as my last run, but it was closed by the time I got back there).
    I also skied the remnants of the half pipe under Big Blue and the snow, while a little cuppy, was still kinda nice.
    Marmots were out in force today, too.

Snow was pretty decent today at OV.
    I schussed from 9:45-noon.
    They weren’t running Headwall.
    And while they probably closed KT a bit early, everything on the West Bowl side from the lift to the Saddle is pretty burnt now, with most of the exits dirted and rocked out. Ditto for GS Bowl; most of the exits are burnt
    They have the upper road of lower Mountain Run closed at the Chute 75 exit as it’s all melted out down to dirt.
    That said, quite a few folks were doing the Reverse Traverse and I think making their way over to stuff off The Saddle.
    Best snow was the ridge off of Siberia.
    Mainline was open, but they closed it sometime between 10:45 and 11:30 (I tried to hit it as my last run, but it was closed by the time I got back there).
    I also skied the remnants of the half pipe under Big Blue and the snow, while a little cuppy, was still kinda nice.
    Marmots were out in force today, too.
    The Saddle was very fun on Sunday.

I meant to go straight to West Face, but I did a half-dozen Saddles first because it was so enjoyable.

West Face blew my mind it was so good.
    Still waiting...

^assuming they were running Headwall in Sunday?