Check Out Our Shop
Page 89 of 102 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2537
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah I can see that since the west side is in the shade for the first half of the day. I still can’t ski steeper terrain without my leg swelling up and starting to throb - that deep scar tissue is a bitch.
    I would attribute it to the lower elevation and inversion as well.
    Still waiting...

had a very solid day out in deso. Dicks and janines via maggies S. Pleasantly surprised by the supportable corn we found pretty much everywhere despite the soft freeze overnight and our not exactly early start.

Love me some soft sloppy groomers. Just need enough gravity to keep the skis on plane. Don't slow down or they stick. Keep them on plane and it's magic. Also stay on the edges like ottime says. Load the turn gradually and the skis will really surf with some pop between turns. Don't set the edge hard as that doesn't work. When they're surfing it's a blast. So much control, so fun!

Staying on edges on a gradual slope may mean exaggerated edging with some counter-rotation with knees to left and hips to right. On the slow flat runout, I find pressing shins into boot, standing tall with strong posterior pelvic tilt limits the snow's ability to grab me.

I've got (cold snow) wax applied a couple weeks ago and there's microtexture on my bases. Powder skis 105 under boot. Slalom skis can work too, but want to hang up in the sidecast sometimes, where the powder skis smear through. I have used soap and/or wipe on wax, but don't have the patience to apply it every other run, though it works.

Salting the snow also helps, but I haven't done that. Mammoth used to salt some runs, maybe still.

In the old days when i skied KW, I recommend the Wall for soft bumps, favorable sun angle, and copious gravity, followed by surfing those edges down Buckboard. Good all afternoon. Anything steep and north like One-man or Fireball is good too, especially if others are skiing it. Just don't let your skis slow down in the wet sidecast. Jet them forward momentarily and don't get stuck in the backseat. (same works on shade->sun transitions)

Sunny chutes can be tricky as the concave shape reflects heat and makes one side extra melty.

If you're sinking in more than an inch or three, find different snow. Groomers help as there's usually a packed base under there.

</ted talk>

Love the Maggie’s > dicks > Janine > Maggie’s tour.

I’ve skied super deep slop on my big pow boards, twas a blast!

Got a run on High T this morning. I've been hiking over there for decades but this is the first time there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to create a track. Just 50+ separate lines up and down the side slope. Some past years they've even managed to put in a machine groomed track, at least part of the way. High Beaver+ didn't open. It does seem like the hikes have become a low priority for Palisades. The skiing was good, with some route finding involved.

That’s really odd. Seems like just pure lazyness would ensure people following an existing track. Super annoying to hear about the lack of hiking available. It’s the only think that keeps me sane dealing w the ikon hoards

^^^^^ Agree. But these days, everyone what's to strike their own path, to the point of absurdity.

Great ted talk LSL. I was going to get me some spring slush this weekend, but looks like I will need to wait until next. Hoping it does not rain...

Kirkwood is great this time of year. The north facing ridge line really helps. As does some grooming off Chair 6. Montes, Zach's, Janek, Olympic and Sentinel hot laps until 10 begins to soften. Start with laps tot eh Nose, and maybe even a few into Wagonwheel, and as the day warms, then just a LSL calls it for late day. Wall to Buckboard.

My best Wall to Buckboard day was when we got 8" of fluff overnight before closing day. Winds blew west during the snow and loaded the Wall Then blew east during the day and kept it wintery cold. Anything below Buckboard was super mixed and variable. Buckboard was spring turns. So we just lapped Wall to Buckboard for powder to slush until our legs were beat.

My spring ski of choice is the 108 Wildcat. Enough girth for afternoon. The rocker reduces the drag when the ski is flat. Works well enough on firm morning groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Got a run on High T this morning. I've been hiking over there for decades but this is the first time there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to create a track. Just 50+ separate lines up and down the side slope. Some past years they've even managed to put in a machine groomed track, at least part of the way. High Beaver+ didn't open. It does seem like the hikes have become a low priority for Palisades. The skiing was good, with some route finding involved.
    Might be so unorganized and no track since access on the left side ABC barn door is snowed in.

Yep.
    FIS has been running GS and slalom races this week at AM. Fun to watch. I tried to keep up with the slalom racers on the next run over but couldn't, even though I didn't make turns. I'm sure the reason was their course was salted. I guess the races were a big deal--I rode up with a kid from Vermont who said the top racers were pros at some level.

Question--in the morning all the race skis were base down on the snow, not in racks. To keep the bases cold?

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SP_7 View Post
    Might be so unorganized and no track since access on the left side ABC barn door is snowed in.
    Even when the barn door is closed , there’s always been a track, it just starts off the traverse instead of out the door. Random steppers is bizarre
    Last edited by mcski; 04-19-2024 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Just 50+ separate lines up and down the side slope.
    It’s been a thing this year. Jerry’s been pioneering all sorts of wacky traverses to nowhere. two Saturdays ago I saw like 8 people all traversing in the light towers in places and ways no sane person would ever consider. Then as I got to the top of headwall, same thing in the palisades. One guy hiked halfway up, then traversed all the way across the chimney, past main into low extra. I for one am ready for WW3, herd could use some thinning.

Multiple boot-packs are frustrating.
    It’s a problem up at Sunrise Bowl where snowshoers, sledders, and newbie tourers just go hog wild like a pack of elephants.
    Drives me crazy.
    I, personally, have never understood the 100+ different traverse lines that pop up on the Reverse Traverse at OV…
    And I am LOLing about the wacky traverses at AM.
    BTW, it’s not a new occurrence, it’s been steadily growing/getting worse over the years.
    Last June going way out the ridge behind the tower (taking High T, then going right) I encountered all kinds of folks coming in from the top under the tower and having to down climb/take off their skis. Many of them then proceeded to ski the bowl in death wedges and stem Christie’s.
    The immortal words of Ron White always come forth during these moments: “You can’t fix stupid.”

This season I taught all the kids I coached how to farm a run and also stressed single track traversing and single track boot packs.
    I think teaching them this stuff is just as important as teaching them how to carve…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Don’t remind me of last June!

Just a test here, Tapatalk crashed me, seeing if I can even post...

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    Just a test here, Tapatalk crashed me, seeing if I can even post...

Guess I can...my next will be less irrelevant.

First time at OV on a Saturday this season. The only crowd was at the top of Sibo face.

I rode Dipper chair at Heavenly today with Tom Fortune the CEO and VP. He had a couple minions with him, probably department heads. I was a single and I looked at the three of them and said "You guys look important, I'm riding with you" and away we went.

It was an uneventful ride I was hoping for a spirited conversation about stuff.

Your dirtbag fucksticks stole my son’s poles at kt base. . I hope karma fucks him in the ass.

Other than that. Wow. Great week. Best spring skiing in the US. OV (I guess that’s the new lingo) is such a great mountain. Hudge. Skiing bigly.
    It’s Mecca for the fam in the spring.

Thing two learned to snowboard yesterday. Ripping after two hours. His smile was infectious. He didn’t even use one of those turtle butt pads on Gold Coast. Although a turtle butt did try to take him out.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    I rode Dipper chair at Heavenly today with Tom Fortune the CEO and VP. He had a couple minions with him, probably department heads. I was a single and I looked at the three of them and said "You guys look important, I'm riding with you" and away we went.

Would have loved to been on that chair and explain why I won’t be buying a pass again after decades of having one.

In other news the corn skiing in the backcountry has been incredible this past week and looks to continue till next Friday and Saturday’s possible weather

Dang, snow sure is melting fast right now. Went from a pretty decent slab of snow on my deck to being almost gone in less than a week. Wondering how things will look if OV actually makes it to Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Would have loved to been on that chair and explain why I won’t be buying a pass again after decades of having one.

In other news the corn skiing in the backcountry has been incredible this past week and looks to continue till next Friday and Saturday’s possible weather
    I don't share that sentiment. Heavenly is far from my favorite ski area but I can be there in 20 minutes. I also like making turns. Lots of turns. If they keep running chairlifts, I'll buy a pass and ride 'em. I enjoy hiking up and skiing down and never get the amount of time out there as I would like. If I could only do one, the choice is easy.

Is there a ski hill whose management/style of operation that isn't loathed by "locals"?

I don't share that sentiment. Heavenly is far from my favorite ski area but I can be there in 20 minutes. I also like making turns. Lots of turns. If they keep running chairlifts, I'll buy a pass and ride 'em. I enjoy hiking up and skiing down and never get the amount of time out there as I would like. If I could only do one, the choice is easy.

Is there a ski hill whose management/style of operation that isn't loathed by "locals"?
    Sugar Bowl. Mt. Rose. And, well, Alterra has definitely dropped the ball with certain things at OV / Alpine, but at least they aren't Vail. In fact, Vail sucks so much that it lowers the bar for everyone else, so fuck them by proxy too.

When the silverbacks started wearing blue jackets with the silver pants, I would ask them on the ride up if they were lifty supervisors. A few really didn’t appreciate the question.

Rallied to AM today.
    Got on the hill after 10.
    Tegel Chutes were nice at this time, but High T back bowl was cooked by 11.
    Got stuck on Sherwood Chair for roughly 20-mins (liftie said mice had chewed through electrical).
    Ended the day lapping Gentian with G2A, his wife, and our friend P.
    Gaper level at AM is surprisingly high (watched a lotta folks doing pizza down Scott’s and quite a few folks in Gentian that prolly shoulda been over on Hotwheels practicing their parallel skiing instead).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

This weekend at the ski hill was a yellow wax morning with f4 in the afternoon. Watched one of my kids Superman on sticky snow in the flat and come up laughing. My kids were digging the slop cream corn.

Anybody here do the uphill race at SB on Saturday? Some great costumes and the group in the race kits were smoking!
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 04-21-2024 at 09:21 PM.