Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Brown bagging it with a PBR in your pocket is the kind of skier they are trying to keep away. Except for my cookie pass and a few pitchers in the spring time I spend as little $ as possible at the mtn.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I meant up here on the north shore not down there in the projects
    Wait a damn minute. The south shore is quite cosmopolitan

How strong of gusts from the SW does it take to close the base to base gondola? TLC > GC, but I do like hitting up some longer laps on Snowking.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Brown bagging it with a PBR in your pocket is the kind of skier they are trying to keep away. Except for my cookie pass and a few pitchers in the spring time I spend as little $ as possible at the mtn.
    I ski with my kid a lot and we only head into a lodge when the weather is very challenging or if they need to drop a deuce. Otherwise I use an old back country pack to carry hot cocoa, beer, salami, and other snacks. Years ago Powdork taught me how to make a bench with my skis, and that's what we do for lunch. Find a pretty spot on the hill, out of the way of downhill traffic and post up for lunch. Besides the money it is so much nicer than any lodge I've ever been in. We are out there to be out there after all.

The lodges at Sun Valley are pretty swank, fwiw.

But I’m an OG brown bagger, too.
    Back in the day when my pops was volunteer patrol at SB, my mom would bring lunch in a picnic basket and we’d eat outside (weather permitting) at one of the deck tables.
    Coaching at The Star, me and the athletes in my charge eat outside all the time, unless it’s raining or dumping. They all bring their own lunches.
    I love instilling that self -sufficiency mindset. Plus we get in more laps instead of standing in line waiting for food service.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Why is everyone hating on the weekend parking reservation system at PTOV?

Reserving a spot from home on Tuesday before I want to go skiing is so much nicer than waking up early to leave Truckee before 7am to secure a spot, just to sit around in the car for 90 minutes waiting for the lifts to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    How strong of gusts from the SW does it take to close the base to base gondola? TLC > GC, but I do like hitting up some longer laps on Snowking.
    Not very. Basically, if there is any wind at all, from any direction, that thing isn't running. Also, snow, rain, clouds, etc. Just plan on it not running, and if it is utilize it at your own risk, as you may get stranded at the other resort and have to figure out a way back to your vehicle.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

That sounds worse than I could even imagine. Was just think early and late season, I would use that lift. Especially in May. Start off of Summit and switch to KT once it begins to soften up. So, basically, don't plan on it as an option.

This past season it didn’t seem to run at all during May and June…

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Lower Dog leg puts the D in WROD.

Stop using the default signature on the app to advertise and add unnecessary bulk to your posts.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Checker on the west shore just now told me their Homewood job has been pushed back for lack of snow. Come on El Niñ
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I was a bit surprised at how many folks were out at Gnarthstar on Sunday, especially in the afternoon. The number of folks on the hill seemed to triple after lunch…

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I was a bit surprised at how many folks were out at Gnarthstar on Sunday, especially in the afternoon. The number of folks on the hill seemed to triple after lunch…
    I hit them up on Monday and it was busier than I expected. But their lil jibb park setup is pretty solid for “early season” on basically all manmade snow. I think they have about 12-15 rail features and a nice booter big enough to toss a few tricks off it.

So we spent the day old man park skiing

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    Why is everyone hating on the weekend parking reservation system at PTOV?

Reserving a spot from home on Tuesday before I want to go skiing is so much nicer than waking up early to leave Truckee before 7am to secure a spot, just to sit around in the car for 90 minutes waiting for the lifts to open.
    The reservations are not a bad policy but rather they are a stark reminder that things are very different then they used to be. To be more clear, the days of buying a season pass and being able to wake up in the morning and drive to Squaw, I mean Palisades, on the weekend are over.

It would be much better if they had built some multilevel parking ala vail to accommodate the masses and enhanced rather than kill off the shuttles alpine used to run around north lake. The resv system is just cover for the actual problem of access to the areas

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    The reservations are not a bad policy but rather they are a stark reminder that things are very different then they used to be. To be more clear, the days of buying a season pass and being able to wake up in the morning and drive to Squaw, I mean Palisades, on the weekend are over.
    They've been over for a long time as far as waking up and leaving at a reasonable hour and the drive taking a reasonable amount of time, and then knowing you'll have a place to park when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    Back in the day when my pops was volunteer patrol at SB, my mom would bring lunch in a picnic basket and we’d eat outside (weather permitting) at one of the deck tables.
    This is still very much a thing at SB. Tons of packs and soft coolers stashed under eves outside judah lodge, inside Rathskeller, and in corners at judah lodge. My favorite (haven’t noticed them in a while), was the large-ish family that brought a crockpot and plugged it into a socket at judah lodge for their chili, stews, etc.

Btw, dookey, I tried to respond to your PM a while back about the film and your inbox was full.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    This is still very much a thing at SB. Tons of packs and soft coolers stashed under eves outside judah lodge, inside Rathskeller, and in corners at judah lodge. My favorite (haven’t noticed them in a while), was the large-ish family that brought a crockpot and plugged it into a socket at judah lodge for their chili, stews, etc.

Btw, dookey, I tried to respond to your PM a while back about the film and your inbox was full.
    I did one day at SB last season with my cousin’s family and they stashed a cooler fulluv victuals on the Judah deck. Seemed like most everybody else did, too. Me, I stupidly forgot to pack a lunch and ended up purchasing an overpriced hummus wrap that was basically just too much watery hummus in a tortilla. Won’t do that again…

And in regards to your aborted PM, yeah, I saw that. I deleted some PMs, so it should be able to receive (gotta do a full cleanse of the PM inbox one of these days!).

A hummus wrap?

All hummus wraps are overpriced if they're priced at all.

Today's forecast certainly got more interesting. Go GFS!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Looks like I'll ski Saturday...so thats a win, I guess.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    I'll be real curious to see how many people pay for reservations ahead of time once the holiday season gets here or there is a decent enough storm. It seems like reservations are easy now because the conditions suck.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    .... $20 for a beer ....
    those motherfuckers ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson