Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2190
  1. #1426
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    16,144
    Whoa! Kirkland Ski Resort recently got 2' of snow according to Jim Cantori
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  2. #1427
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Whoa! Kirkland Ski Resort recently got 2' of snow according to Jim Cantori
    And they have a great deal on toilet paper 🧻.

  3. #1428
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    116
    Name:  IMG_4632.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  123.9 KB
    Big trees near a big lake, smooth carving snow, a blue bird no wind Sunday.

  4. #1429
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,354
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Whoa! Kirkland Ski Resort recently got 2' of snow according to Jim Cantori
    It's a great resort, but I hate driving out at the end of the day where everyone has to show their receipt at the exit.

  5. #1430
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    11,935
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Whoa! Kirkland Ski Resort recently got 2' of snow according to Jim Cantori
    Do they offer powder in bulk?

  6. #1431
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    862
    Skiing this AM was rowdy and fun at SB. The stuff that didn't open yesterday was pretty deep. The stuff that was open yesterday had a nice whipped cream layer over it and wind smoothed it out. Really a good day. I wish I could have stayed out.

    About PTOV, who knows. I thought "financial hold" was funny when my buddy said it yesterday. In truth, I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get any part of upper mountain open. It's pretty diverse in aspects and pitch up there. I'd bet that if they were selling day passes they would have put more effort into it, but that's pure speculation.

    I'm married to the controller of a huge company. They are profitable and have $6B in the bank. They're still doing layoffs. Big companies with shareholders care about one thing at the end of they day. That's not to say that down the line there aren't people that truly love where they work. Resorts have a lot of variables, but they've eliminated a huge portion of their risk by pre-selling passes. It also frees them to manipulate profitability by cutting overhead.

    They really have a monopoly, too. Especially owning OV and Alpine. What're you gonna do, not ski?? We know damned well that OV folks aren't going to Northstar

  7. #1432
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    23,225
    $79 weekdays at SB, if you get tired of all the financial holds.

  8. #1433
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken feathers View Post
    planning 2-3 days at Kirkwood & maybe 1 at Heavenly the last week of February. Never been to either. Pretty stoked to ski Kirkwood. Meeting my brother who has the epic pass so he can get us some of his buddy ticket's...
    But I figured I'd ask here if anyone can hook us up w/ any vouchers for a better deal. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    There is a house at KW called Chicken Feathers. You should stay there.
    Ha! You're not kidding. My first house had cedar siding too. But my username comes from the storms we'd get there with fat flakes that looked like chicken feathers...

    Gonna be skiing Kirkwood for a few days next week, maybe a day at Palisades or Heavenly, we will see. Any mags got a voucher they could part with to any of those hills?

  9. #1434
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    Skiing this AM was rowdy and fun at SB. The stuff that didn't open yesterday was pretty deep. The stuff that was open yesterday had a nice whipped cream layer over it and wind smoothed it out. Really a good day. I wish I could have stayed out.

    About PTOV, who knows. I thought "financial hold" was funny when my buddy said it yesterday. In truth, I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get any part of upper mountain open. It's pretty diverse in aspects and pitch up there. I'd bet that if they were selling day passes they would have put more effort into it, but that's pure speculation.

    I'm married to the controller of a huge company. They are profitable and have $6B in the bank. They're still doing layoffs. Big companies with shareholders care about one thing at the end of they day. That's not to say that down the line there aren't people that truly love where they work. Resorts have a lot of variables, but they've eliminated a huge portion of their risk by pre-selling passes. It also frees them to manipulate profitability by cutting overhead.

    They really have a monopoly, too. Especially owning OV and Alpine. What're you gonna do, not ski?? We know damned well that OV folks aren't going to Northstar
    I'm beginning to wonder if Michael Gross (SVP of Mtn Ops) gets a bonus everyday Headwall doesn't operate. This is one of the alpha lifts at one of the largest destinations on the Ikon Pass. LFG!

  10. #1435
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    23,225
    Some chicken feathers falling now at Donner Lake. Heaviest snow of this latest "blizzard". If only it would last.

  11. #1436
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    16,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Do they offer powder in bulk?
    I would assume they would get powder from somewhere good and rebrand it
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  12. #1437
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I think we will never know for sure why the upper mountain didn’t open. But for me, the evidence clearly points to cost cutting from PTOV this season and I will even go out on a limb and say that I would not be surprised if the cost cutting extended to the ski patrol team responsible for opening the mountain. If that’s the case, those folks are not that easy to hire mid season.
    Squawpine penny pinching, while another Alterra owned resort, Deer Valley is putting in 16 new lifts in the next couple years. I guess that is where all the season pass money is going...

  13. #1438
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoe420 View Post
    Real money hold closings will be coming in a few weeks when all the J1’s head south. Ski areas didn’t hire aggressively early season due to lack of snow. I see pay increases and incentives for employees that hang on, if they don’t quit due to being overworked. This year’s workforce is the smallest I’ve seen in decades. Be nice out there and thankful for what we’ve got! Peace…
    Spot on!

  14. #1439
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    everyday sunshine
    Posts
    312
    Took the kiddo to donner ski ranch today and had a blast. Couldn’t bring myself to risk an upper mountain closure again at palisades, and that drive was jaw droppingly beautiful.

    Donner skied really well cream cheese everywhere and no one there. Felt like being a kid back in new england in the 80’s.

    Palisades was windy as shit on Monday. Even the top of Funitel was pretty miserable. Not surprised none of that was open. I kept thinking that the silverado/shirley lake area would have been sheltered and awesome to ski, if only they could find a way to get access over there without opening all the upper mountain lifts.

  15. #1440
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Wife and I went to OV this morning to see what was up with the 8" that fell. The snow was slabby in places but still really fun if you charged and ripped. The parking reservation system was a mess this week but we did feel like it worked for the crowds on a powder day and Saturday of President's Day weekend. The traffic was slow but moving this morning and getting home was fine around 3:30pm. We didn't wait in any lines that were longer than 15 minutes (Granite Chief was the longest line). First tracks on Solitude and Tower 16 photos below...

    Attachment 487412

    Attachment 487413
    Great shot under Silverado! Strange that area doesn't seem to have a name.

  16. #1441
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Took the kiddo to donner ski ranch today and had a blast. Couldn’t bring myself to risk an upper mountain closure again at palisades, and that drive was jaw droppingly beautiful.

    Donner skied really well cream cheese everywhere and no one there. Felt like being a kid back in new england in the 80’s.

    Palisades was windy as shit on Monday. Even the top of Funitel was pretty miserable. Not surprised none of that was open. I kept thinking that the silverado/shirley lake area would have been sheltered and awesome to ski, if only they could find a way to get access over there without opening all the upper mountain lifts.
    Silverado would be on wind hold anyway because of where the top terminal is at.

    Looking down from Broken Arrow this weekend Silverado was looking pretty fat, but sure not enough snow to open...

  17. #1442
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,826
    West Bowl at Sierra today. So good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2775.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	487648

  18. #1443
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by SP_7 View Post
    Great shot under Silverado! Strange that area doesn't seem to have a name.
    It does

  19. #1444
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    16,144
    I've skied almost every lake view peak in the region except this one, until today.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  20. #1445
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I've skied almost every lake view peak in the region except this one, until today.
    Nice!!! Looks like a killer day!!!

  21. #1446
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    862
    I'm feeling like tomorrow could shape up to be a good one. It was snowing hard on the west side of Truckee this afternoon. Still snowing here on the east side. Fingers crossed. Anybody have intel from the summit? SB's Webcam shows 20", but who knows when they cleared it. Last week?

  22. #1447
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    137

    Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    West Bowl at Sierra today. So good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2775.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	487648
    Was there today as well.
    Lucked out on catching the second chair on Nob and got an untracked lower main all to myself. Second run hit the top of Nob right as they dropped the WB rope. Best day of the season for me.
    Definitely not hating the “new” WB.

  23. #1448
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    16,144
    Power seems to be out from Rubicon to Dollar point since 8:45. Weird cause no super heavy snow, no wind, can’t see any car accidents


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  24. #1449
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatypowderpig View Post
    It does
    Boundry bowl

  25. #1450
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,826
    West Bowl today at noon. Still good
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2784.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	487701

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •