Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Pushing 4” in south lake at my place already

Went for a walk up to 8k. Heavy snow and little wind. Coverage was good but much more sharky now the sharks have something to swim in.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    They've been over for a long time as far as waking up and leaving at a reasonable hour and the drive taking a reasonable amount of time, and then knowing you'll have a place to park when you get there.
    Not arguing the change was a step function but over time things have slowly and steadily gotten worse. Parking reservations are a stark reminder of that. Also, building more parking without expanding terrain, lodges and lifts does not fix the problem. Now let it snow!!!

Diverse gamut of conditions at The Star today.
    Started out firm and fast (9-12).
    Got pasty and sticky (1-2).
    Then a lathering of speed pow (2:30 - 4).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Looks like Epic is pushing us to getting their app rather than website in order to get useful info on resort conditions.

x Twitter no longer lets you read tweets w/o registering & logging in.
    Want taller, better heel risers for your Marker Alpinists? Check this out

28.5 TransAlp Pro boots for sale.

12" of new at Incline peak but breaking trail in places felt closer to 2ft given the state of the snowpack. I thought the previous snow would be a bit more supportive but my poles were constantly punching all the way to the dirt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	478621

Yes, and once you get above 8,500 or so there starts to be a rotten layer toward the bottom that will become persistent

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	847.7 KB 
ID:	478623

Was pretty good this morning milking the 5.
    Want taller, better heel risers for your Marker Alpinists? Check this out

28.5 TransAlp Pro boots for sale.

Rolling through town next week. Palisquaw cams look...rough. Rose looks similarly rough. Picks for most entertaining hills for low-tide rock dodging? Rose and Heavenly and Sugar are the only places I haven't skied.

When I was skiing Gold Coast last week I was looking around wishing they had more open because most everything above looked pretty good. Now with 15-20" more I would expect a lot more to open. And with less snow down low but cold temps coming maybe Mountain Run is in the future. I would expect Kirkwood to open 6 in the near future as well

Went for a morning walk

Name:	IMG_8393.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	735.0 KB 
ID:	478647

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    ...Picks for most entertaining hills for low-tide rock dodging? Rose and Heavenly and Sugar are the only places I haven't skied.
    Hopefully things will change
    ...but I have a wrod report, for you, fwiw.

We got skunked at Mt.Rose this afternoon. Even (lowdown) Lakeview got shut down by wind
    Headed to HV.
    I know not much to be done, but it was disappointing.
    Man, there is only Ridge Run off of Canyon lift. Crowded and sorta manky, snow.
    Ended up sessioning Powderbowl lift. Steins Run was relatively fast and interesting, and less peeps.

*We think Rose wrod is way more entertaining*.

Kit Carson run opens up into a bowl on right, so not usually so crowded feeling, and bumps! And they have Bunker/Lone tree, for more of a groomer vibe. Closed race training on left opens around 3pm.
    There aren't any steep "face" runs off of the summit chair yet. Just a connector over to Lakeview lift zone.

It was trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to snow all afternoon there at HV, but no accumulation.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

I skied Gold Coast all day today and it is really is starting to feel like winter up there. I really enjoyed basically skiing wind buff on most runs.
    Last edited by Truckee Joe; 12-07-2023 at 11:44 PM.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Didn't Gold Coast close down at 12:30 due to wind? They sent us down the hill. Up until is closed, it was skiing great. Most fun I've ever had on that lift. And with the limited visibility, coverage looked decent across the bowl toward Siberia.

Mountain Run did have a single cat track top to bottom, utilizing the lower road downhill from the Headwall base. It did look a little narrow, but I'd also expect that to open soon. If they got Siberia or Shirley Lakes open, along with the Mountain Run, that would up the ante a bit.

We had fun yesterday at Pali. After GC closed, we spent the rest of the day lapping Resort and Red Dog. Lakeview had fairly fun snow just off the groomer, and Dog Leg (the part that was open) as well as the lower face skied very nicely.

Following up on Powdork, I'd ecect Chair 6 and 11 soon at KW. It will be limited off both, but that allows for some longer runs. And they have everything off 5 open from the Drain to Olympic, so there is a little of variety and lot of off piste amiable. Although, they may groom some of those runs after yesterdays snow.

Stoked to be back out on the snow after missing last season. And a powder day to boot.

EDIT: There are a bunch of folks working around the base of chair 11 today. Assuming that will open up. The Red Cliff cam was pointed at the top of 6 early, and Monte's looks really nice filled in the upper bowl.
    Last edited by Ottime; 12-08-2023 at 02:00 PM.

Looks like the hike to Siberia was opened and people were hucking double backies off of Kangaroo: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0m5C...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Good news - skiing is alive and well!

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

More news from Palisades: https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/oper...-this-weekend/

Looks like they were dealing with a broken compressor at Alpine but they’re working on Roundhouse.
    Was surprised to hear it takes them 10 days of snowmaking for mountain run.

So still roughly the same stuff on the menu for this weekend, maybe roundhouse if we’re lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Unexpected opening of Aida's at Mt.Rose. I think it was all natural (yes, of course with rocks), and was lovely and soft. Realize that a lot of wrod lately is either skied off icy, or man made hard pack.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Toured out of Carson pass today, pretty variable with a lot of wind fucked snow.

Rolled over to Kirkwood after, snow was actually pretty good. I believe they will open one or two more lifts tomorrow. I don’t think 6 will spin, but they were loading trash cans full of snow up the lift. I presume to build a off ramp for the lift.

yeah the wind did some damage for sure. was able to skin from and ski to the car today. ymmv of course. Plenty of snow up high but the softest pow was the little water tower run at the end. Turned around at 8,500 as the snow was getting a bit spooky and you start to get into the low to mid 30s slope angle

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Toured out of Carson pass today, pretty variable with a lot of wind fucked snow.

Rolled over to Kirkwood after, snow was actually pretty good. I believe they will open one or two more lifts tomorrow. I don’t think 6 will spin, but they were loading trash cans full of snow up the lift. I presume to build a off ramp for the lift.
    KW reports they are working on chair 9 and 11 to open soon. They really should install some snowmaking over at Timber Creek. 9 is a much better beginner chair than 1 and they need a ton of snow to get rid of the double fall line off of chair 1 anyway. A little bit if manmade at TC would get that side open early and quick.

Overall tho, it looks like things could start popping quickly there with a bit more natural. Hoping they get 6 going by next weekend when my kid and I are going up. Having 6 and 11 would make for a fun weekend.

Wonder why the garbage cans of snow going to the top when they have snow making to the top of Zachs. There was an inversion at Palisades last night, so maybe they are not currently able to blow snow. But if they are transporting to make a ramp, that is going to be a daily struggle to keep it open until they can blow or get more snow up there.

6 is turning this morning, so some work continues.

Meanwhile at SB they aren't even trying. Jerome only. Almost like they already have oass holder money and don't care......

Palisades has been pretty fun this week. The new snow filled in to give some off piste options that were soft and fun. Headed up in a few to play with the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    KW reports they are working on chair 9 and 11 to open soon. They really should install some snowmaking over at Timber Creek. 9 is a much better beginner chair than 1 and they need a ton of snow to get rid of the double fall line off of chair 1 anyway. A little bit if manmade at TC would get that side open early and quick.

Overall tho, it looks like things could start popping quickly there with a bit more natural. Hoping they get 6 going by next weekend when my kid and I are going up. Having 6 and 11 would make for a fun weekend.

Wonder why the garbage cans of snow going to the top when they have snow making to the top of Zachs. There was an inversion at Palisades last night, so maybe they are not currently able to blow snow. But if they are transporting to make a ramp, that is going to be a daily struggle to keep it open until they can blow or get more snow up there.

6 is turning this morning, so some work continues.
    9 and TC opened today. I would assume or hope the cans of snow were mixed with some water to keep them in place

^^^ Saw that. Bodes well. If there is enough natural for TC, then the zones above are in the good to go range.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    Meanwhile at SB they aren't even trying. Jerome only. Almost like they already have oass holder money and don't care......
    Tree + Nob opened today at SB; it's not much but they're definitely trying. I think they're working on Judah / Lincoln next but who knows with the weather..