Check Out Our Shop
Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2527
    This is usually just laziness IMO. My son ski races and most of the kids when they are in between initial slipping of the course or just done with their first runs will ski to a lodge and not rack their skis. But our background is SL, GS, Super-G, I don't know what other disciplines do.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

Question--in the morning all the race skis were base down on the snow, not in racks. To keep the bases cold?

I think parking violations were in the $250 dollar range but reduced to like a $100 and something if you paid within a week. I don’t remember the exact numbers but it’s in that ball park, but possibly up to $100 more than I stated, it’s significant. All lots at Kirkwood will be subject to reservations next year, might be a mix of free and paid parking don’t know the details yet

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Managing the chutes is complex variables such the creek crossing, serious chance for injury when its hard, avalanche control and I am sure staffing. IMO it is powpigs attitude that makes them rush to open on powder days. Many times they bomb the hell out of it and get most of good lines to slide, leaving a shit ton of debris. I personally would like to see them have more restraint, let the snowpack settle and stabilize a bit before throwing bombs and rushing to get it open.
    Unfortunately I don't think that's an option. I've been told the ski area is tasked with routine blasting so it doesn't go big & natural and avy onto 431. While I have a hard time imagining it could go that big (the Slide road did get buried back in 2017) in any but the most monstrous of storm cycles, I think this decision and arrangement involving NDOT was probably arrived at by those posing the "What if....." question, and no one's gonna be willing to be on the hook and make the call to not bomb, just in case.....

And rush to open on powder days????? Maybe the first few years, definitely none of that since the poach fatality.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Here's an interesting write up that covers much of what you're discussing. I will say it definitely is not shocking they finally opened them. It was always shocking to drive to Reno, see them, and realize they weren't part of the resort.
    https://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-sci...ts/P__8111.pdf
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Here's an interesting write up that covers much of what you're discussing. I will say it definitely is not shocking they finally opened them. It was always shocking to drive to Reno, see them, and realize they weren't part of the resort.
    Excellent share PD! Thanks!
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

What’s the deal with the old red dog towers up between blue and baileys? They didn’t fly themselves up there.
    Emigrant or granite upgrade?
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

We will be skiing the closer for KW.

TahoeBC - I'm to a fan of reservations coming to KW. I guess I will need to make them every time I go up to stay at my friends, even tho I won't decide till morning if I drive over or take the shuttle. Because that shuttle is so unreliable, I can not count on it and will reserve a spot. But then its 50/50 I won't actually take it.

I think it's terrible that there is not any other option besides paid parking over at the CA base. We've thought off an an about getting a Tahoe or Epic, but really no point now if we need to pay and reserve.

We will buy another KW pass, but the part about us having a place to stay there is a big factor. If that did not exist, we would be more likely to look at a pass at BV or DR paired with an ikon to go to Mammoth and maybe spring time at Palisades.

Re: Rose. You really do not want to be bought. Vail has been the worst thing for the skier experience at KW. More crowded, anxious, poor etiquette skiers and riders, reckless drivers. There is the grid now, but that was the decade of homeowner efforts prior to Vail ever showed up, tho they claimed mission accomplished. You've heard about the potholes. Patrol and ps do a great job, and that has always been the case. The mountain opens quicker these days, but I'm not sure that is a good thing. There are safety bars and that is a net positive. Still using a tent as a lodge at their main beginner base.

Stoked to ski this weekend. We ended skiing a lot of winter conditions and fresh powder 3-6 weeks ago. Looking forward to some spring snow. Just hope that inch of fresh does not make things too sticky on Saturday.

Alpine's 38th Annual Snow Golf Tournament is back!
    https://www.palisadestahoe.com/event...olf-tournament

Who's done this, is it fun, does it fill up fast?

I need 1 more road trip to Tahoe this year

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Re: Rose. You really do not want to be bought. Vail has been the worst thing for the skier experience at KW. More crowded, anxious, poor etiquette skiers and riders, reckless drivers. There is the grid now, but that was the decade of homeowner efforts prior to Vail ever showed up, tho they claimed mission accomplished. You've heard about the potholes. Patrol and ps do a great job, and that has always been the case. The mountain opens quicker these days, but I'm not sure that is a good thing. There are safety bars and that is a net positive. Still using a tent as a lodge at their main beginner base.
    FWIW I went to KW last week and the potholes going up Luther were worse than Kirkwood. I didn't go past Timber Creek though

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    What’s the deal with the old red dog towers up between blue and baileys? They didn’t fly themselves up there.
    I'm not aware of any proposals for lift upgrades. The only upgrade I'd like is building a fucking access road to the Silvy base, so it does not take a big season and magical incantations to open Silverado. The other thought I've had on this recently is that KT is getting a little long in the tooth. Maybe they'll do a 6-pack there someday....complete with heated bubble seats featuring haptics and 4-dimensional sound.

My guess on the RD towers: cheaper to leave the towers on-site than send out for disposal. Maybe it's a long play on the scrap metal market?!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Probably saving them for the water slide.

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

My guess is let’s just leave these here for now, maybe we’ll end up using them down the road. They’re not really in the way so makes sense. I could see Solitude or GC or Emigrant being replaced.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

The towers looked like they were being used as a snow fence, but looked like they could be easily run over by someone or something. I can't believe they dragged them all the way up there.

Yes, road to Silvy base. Granite Chief HS quad please, so slow, the line is always and long and 10 + years overdue anyway. Emigrant HS lift starting at further down near the GC building would be nice too. Open the pool as well...

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Alpine's 38th Annual Snow Golf Tournament is back!
    https://www.palisadestahoe.com/event...olf-tournament

Who's done this, is it fun, does it fill up fast?

I need 1 more road trip to Tahoe this year
    Done it the last three years. It's always been sunny and warm. Will be interesting on Saturday. I'm game if others are going. There is always a line at the top, but it's like 10-20 minutes then no lines for the rest of the holes.

Interesting article, thanks!

Demo High Camp - addition by subtraction.

complete aside, but can we no longer "insert image from file" on the forums?? because that is like, a huge pain in the ass and really mussing up my ability to throw stoke

^been like that for more’n a week.
    Apparently they are aware of it as per https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...onger-shows-up

In addition to the photo glitch, I have been unable to login from my laptop (the login page is jumbled up with overlapping text).
    And if I go to post via my phone, every time I write a post and hit submit it tells me I have to wait 45-seconds between posts, even though I haven’t made the post yet, then it double posts…
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 04-25-2024 at 03:04 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    complete aside, but can we no longer "insert image from file" on the forums?? because that is like, a huge pain in the ass and really mussing up my ability to throw stoke
    The current work around (besides bitching at mods in the thread for that) is to use Tapatalk for posting pics. I don’t like the app but at least I was able to post a pic using it

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Alpine this morning was beautiful and quiet but the rough/uneven grooming (with the exception of Weasel) made it hard to find a good rhythm. Is it harder to groom evenly during late spring or are they just trying to save money by doing it quick'n dirty?

Solar aspects got sticky pretty quickly (10am for Sherwood area) despite the relatively low temps today. I was thinking about hunting corn in the Eastern Sierra this weekend but temps look a bit low (?) up high on Saturday for N facing terrain so maybe a deep deso exploration could be a better alternative (I got inspired by the Dicks/Janine/Maggie that was shared here earlier).
    Last edited by GKWood; 04-25-2024 at 04:43 PM.

FWIW I went to KW last week and the potholes going up Luther were worse than Kirkwood. I didn't go past Timber Creek though
    Yea their much worse past timber creek. Got a perfect corn run on an East off red lake peak today, then moved onto kirkwood, quite and great corn runs today, might be the last best day for spring skiing today out there. Skeptical that they will get enough new to make Saturday any fun, closing day on Sunday possibly has some potential if it warms up enough.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-25-2024 at 11:55 PM.

^^^ Saturday has a high of 44F forecast. I'd expect it to be soft at least, but maybe sticky from the angry inch. But, yeah, I never really got a spring skiing in day yet this season. Can't complain about most of my skiing on a winter surface, but I'd love a warm soft day.

We might end up at Alpine on Saturday, as my kid wants to golf. At least it will be warmer there.

As for spring grooming, it is harder when the snow is warm/ wet. The snow tends to glop up more on the groomer mech, and create pits or ruts. Then that freezes overnight. If they did easy morning grooming, it would be better, but they are often out in the sun after the lifts close. Used to ski Alpine a lot in May, and while there were spots that looked rough, you could usually navigate cord all the way down.

Just read NOAA forecasting up to 4-10" for the base. That could be good for the backcountry.

Red Dog towers. I hear they are going to sell them as souvenirs, like they sell old chairs. The guy who told me that was pretty wasted though.

A road up Shirley Canyon. Fuck that. And that wouldn't keep Silvy open any more. There are exponentially more people who enjoy Shirley Canyon in the summer than want to ski Silvy in the winter. And if you've hiked Shirley Canyon you'd know a road would not be simple.

Yes, grooming wet muck that doesn't freeze before it has to be groomed is tough. This hasn't been spring skiing the last couple of weeks. It's summer skiing. Take it for what it's worth.

Red Dog towers. I hear they are going to sell them as souvenirs, like they sell old chairs. The guy who told me that was pretty wasted though.

A road up Shirley Canyon. Fuck that. And that wouldn't keep Silvy open any more. There are exponentially more people who enjoy Shirley Canyon in the summer than want to ski Silvy in the winter. And if you've hiked Shirley Canyon you'd know a road would not be simple.

Yes, grooming wet muck that doesn't freeze before it has to be groomed is tough. This hasn't been spring skiing the last couple of weeks. It's summer skiing. Take it for what it's worth.

I only poste that post once. Fuck this goddamn forum. I'm tired of deleting duplicate posts.