Check Out Our Shop
Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1365
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Well with any luck and a predicted incoming La Nina, we'd be stoked to have her rolling around the village again, finally. And it's way more conducive to skiing on a recent repair than it used to be.

Right now prediction is at 83% certainty of a La Nina. El Nino is all but gone and transition is underway, so says NOAA.

So… Mrs. Plug and I met on the Sublette, (quad), chair 33 years ago. So we decided to come into town and try to catch the last chair, and of course, patrol, etc. should have last chair which is only fitting, but it was pretty cool to be one of the last chairs.
    Was actually pretty sad. I didn’t expect that. Great bunch of folks at the top saying goodbye.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Miss Sublette was my first true love on that mountain. We were pretty regular for about a dozen years. I'll miss the slow roll and the long puffsnstuffs.

Seen a lot of crazy shit go down beneath those chairs...Alta fails, waterfall stomps, birthday drops, goal post scores...

Gonna be weird hi speeding up that ridge.

Upper mountain gets thrashed faster.

I remember riding that chair with Steve Haas on a Christmas Day morning, hardly anyone on the hill.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I remember riding that chair with Steve Haas on a Christmas Day morning, hardly anyone on the hill.

Ha! I bet that was a quiet ride...not the most talkative guy.

The first major crusty ski bum I ever met. NY'er all the way.

Skiing POW everyday now with Doug and Ray and Howie and RJ and...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Ha! I bet that was a quiet ride...not the most talkative guy.

The first major crusty ski bum I ever met. NY'er all the way.

Actually we got along pretty well, we were both renting monthly rooms at the Teton Motel in Dec ‘90 and bonded over the two inch layer of ice that formed inside the windows during a four day below zero stretch.

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

^^^^

90-91 was a sucky season in retrospect. My first full season in JH tho so I thought it was grrrrreat. Around 350-375" iirc.

First winter driving the box and I recall an early season cold snap that was below zero for 2 weeks and bottoming out around -25. My Firebird was locked up in the upper lot where the white building sits now. Took a salamander heating it from below to get it running.

So much has changed.

Also, I heard that the big ass project uphill of the Teton club just had it's 2nd company bail out. Looking for a new GC to take over completion, which seems far awaaay. Poor, poor Rob D.
    Between this and a divorce, he's prolly stressed.

^^^^

90-91 was a sucky season in retrospect. My first full season in JH tho so I thought it was grrrrreat. Around 350-375".
    Man we just missed each other, may last big season there was 89-90. My college girlfriend was a Wilson, so we spent every free minute on the hill. I miss those days

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

My Firebird...
    90s ski town dirtbagging was unreal. It really was another world. Shit that was normalized would never fly today.

My car was dead once. I used to walk down to Hwy 40 and get picked up by a snowmobile mechanic is some 70s wagon with a bong sitting on the trans hump. I'd load bowls and we hot box that shit to the front door of the ski shop. That probably went on for a month and a half.

^^^ If we could post pics I’d show ya our ‘74 Monte Carlo we named ‘Merlin’ because it was always a miracle when you actually arrived at your destination… for several reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    90s ski town dirtbagging was unreal. It really was another world. Shit that was normalized would never fly today.

My car was dead once. I used to walk down to Hwy 40 and get picked up by a snowmobile mechanic is some 70s wagon with a bong sitting on the trans hump. I'd load bowls and we hot box that shit to the front door of the ski shop. That probably went on for a month and a half.
    That's good living right there...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teleee - isn't that something how our circles tend to cross historically? Odds are good that ticketchecker and I worked right beside each other. I just need to see his mugg. And he used to live next to my long past mentor, Steve.

I'd like to connect with you this summer for a fishy float...

I met Newt on that chair one sunny, bluebird powder morning in December or January of 98. We did a lap or two and then he talked me into doing my first run into Alta Zero.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Brent and...

So many friends that have gone before me.

May I be contrarian here and admit that I hated Sublette?

It ruined all that stuff around Alta Chutes, Pepi's Run, Bird in Hand, etc that never got skied before Sublette. It was the end of our passes through in the 90s.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

It ruined all that stuff around Alta Chutes, Pepi's Run, Bird in Hand, etc that never got skied before Sublette. It was the end of our passes through in the 90s.
    Mmmm... Pepi's on a big powder day.

I always enjoyed the big storm daze when it blew down and the only way to get over that way was tram or the traverse. Made for some pretty plush and wild skiing

23/24 WYDAHO * &quot; Le Tits now &quot; * JH, GT, SK, KC, PC...

That's good living right there...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teleee - isn't that something how our circles tend to cross historically? Odds are good that ticketchecker and I worked right beside each other. I just need to see his mugg. And he used to live next to my long past mentor, Steve.

I'd like to connect with you this summer for a fishy float...
    Crazy how our paths have circled and not really crossed (as far as we can remember)
    For sure we need to do a summer time fish and float, i am thinking about putting something together early to mid June at the home waters, stay tuned!

Last edited by teleee; 04-17-2024 at 01:47 PM.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Went up to get next years pass and was greeted by sleeper goodness, an inch+ an hour and no one there. A great day for sure.

I kinda agree with this. As things are going these days, I’d take new lifts if they didn’t fucking summer groom. Pepi’s rewarded you for learning it. Now with all the trees trimmed, you can see the whole thing. Oh well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

What we can all agree on is that that section of Sublette ridge, namely 'Pepi's', is an exceptional bit of terrain.
    An easy access ridgeline that is advanced skiing down the ridgeline and expert or masterclass off of either side.
    It's situated such that howling winds come down across it from the west so you get a major windward/leeward effect.
    Altas are kinda shady north by northeast, BIH/TIB and down to liquor cabinet are more east by southeast to south.
    It's easily mitigated and epic in a pow cycle.

In my primetime on Subby, there were way less peeps on it than Thunder. Which was a 2 seater btw. They just tended to stay over there.
    Otherwise known as the Quad or the Couch before a 4 seat thunder in 93?.

When it sucks from no snow and refreezing, well it ain't so busy then. But when it nukes, it gets slain pretty quickly.
    That wasn't always the case, even with the chair. In the early 90's you could do laps for hours before the crowd came over the hill.
    Maybe because Laramie bowl and Grand/Gannet were not summer groomed and a challenge to get there.
    Less people rode the tram back then.
    No, I blame it on the fat skis making skiing so gotdam simple.

As Beer30 said, it used to be wilder. True, and I love to stand in some obscure spot on the mountain when it's storming like a mofo and ponder how dangerous that place could be, yet how safe we generally are.
    Make turns, ski hard.

What we can all agree on is that that section of Sublette ridge, namely 'Pepi's', is an exceptional bit of terrain.
    An easy access ridgeline that is advanced skiing down the ridgeline and expert or masterclass off of either side.
    It's situated such that howling winds come down across it from the west so you get a major windward/leeward effect.
    Altas are kinda shady north by northeast, BIH/TIB and down to liquor cabinet are more east by southeast to south.
    It's easily mitigated and epic in a pow cycle.

In my primetime on Subby, there were way less peeps on it than Thunder. Which was a 2 seater btw. They just tended to stay over there.
    Otherwise known as the Quad or the Couch before a 4 seat thunder in 93?.

When it sucks from no snow and refreezing, well it ain't so busy then. But when it nukes, it gets slain pretty quickly.
    That wasn't always the case, even with the chair. In the early 90's you could do laps for hours before the crowd came over the hill.
    Maybe because Laramie bowl and Grand/Gannet were not summer groomed and a challenge to get there.
    Less people rode the tram back then.
    No, I blame it on the fat skis making skiing so gotdam simple.

As Beer30 said, it used to be wilder. True, and I love to stand in some obscure spot on the mountain when it's storming like a mofo and ponder how dangerous that place could be, yet how safe we generally are.
    Make turns, ski hard.
    Had an early season pow day on sub a few years ago where the only way to get there, based on what was open, was to traverse in, with some uphill on the traverse. No many were making the trek. Stayed fresh all day. Sharks everywhere.

Was fantastic and I’ll cherish the memory.

Must have been a little like what it was decades ago.

I think it was winter of 02 when it started to dump early and Thunder was open before Sub and the tram, patrol was scrambling to get things opened as fast as they could but it came in fast and furious. Tat showed me the old traverse from Thunder across the Altas and over to the top of The Hobacks. We had a good week or so doing that, I remember showing the line to Moo and his old ski buddy visiting from Europe, Dean Decas I think? While skiing down the Hobacks we creeped up on Patrol and quickly ducked behind a roll over. It felt like the old cat and mouse games you'd here about from the Coombs days. It was fun and yeah, that whole Sub zone was sick! I skied an Alta Zero (Waterfall) that week too. The base was probably only around 45-50 inches and it was all fresh with nothing settled underneath. It was thin but I figured I could squeak through and the apron looked good loaded with sluff. I tagged two rocks in the chute but it was fine. It felt like skiing bc that week except for the hiding from patrol bit. I could see how old timers would prefer it that way but imo the chair didn't ruin the skiing in that zone, it just changed things. I really liked how you could ride that chair and examine the lines, see what looked good and what didn't and plan something from there. I liked the show from that chair on powder mornings when a lot of the local bad asses where out and sending their favorites. I also liked having the audience cheering from above while skiing something pretty wild. It was exciting and it was fun participating in the show. Judge me for being a bit of a showboater I don't care, those were fun times.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Brent and...

So many friends that have gone before me.
    I was going through my Facebook friends list the other day to send out invites for an upcoming event and I went by dozens of old friends that are no longer here as a scrolled down. It was a little bit of an eye opener, like dude, quit fucking around.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

In the late 80s and early 90s we used to do the 14 hour scour across from Seattle and roost at the Hostel.

Our main jam was Thunder, particularly when they started charging an extra buck or two for each tram ride. My partner didn't much care for Paint Brush or Toilet Bowl, so we'd ski more laps on Thunder proper, Riverton and Grand. One day stuff was getting cut up and we could see across Laramie Bowl that it wasn't really much work to skate and pole across to get to Pepis, which was a favorite. So we did that. A lot. Over and over. And no one was ever there. Most of the tramsters were elsewhere, headed for the Hobacks or Cheyenne, so it was a sweet little spot we could mine soft snow lap after lap and feel like there was a special stash, a secret that involved a little more work with a rack of surprise payoffs, pockets of pow among the copses boadering Pepis and finding the various AltaX entrances.

Sublette probably did make it better and more accessible, but Pepis became mogulled, Bird In The Hand was tracked and I never snuck into that choke in the rocks under the quad again.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Had an early season pow day on sub a few years ago where the only way to get there, based on what was open, was to traverse in, with some uphill on the traverse. No many were making the trek. Stayed fresh all day. Sharks everywhere.

Was fantastic and I’ll cherish the memory.

Must have been a little like what it was decades ago.
    C pass traverse. So much fun on a blowdown day.

RIP to “the couch”

They should have spent the money on a lower sublette lift to pull tourists away from the other lifts.

PS. Awesome stories here. Was introduced to my bride at the base of sublette. Well played to make last last chair. Wish I had thought of that.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.