Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shames is on the Indy Pass now

Happy to take this down if it breaks any rules. But, hoping because we're a non-profit...

I figured it was a good thing as possibly may get a few more skier visits to the mountain and we had a tough year last year (increases in fuel cost to run the genny and skyrocketing insurance costs were the main culprits).

I'd be happy to hear what the collective thinks of us joining the indy group as well. I think Magic is on this thing and wonder if it has been a net positive or negative to the Magic faithful.

Figured I throw a couple of photos in for the hell of it too. Just cause. First one is my buddy Polly in north bowl. Second is Mrs garyfromterrace dropping into north bowl both on a fine February day last year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220220_212106916.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	506.7 KB 
ID:	473127

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220220_212448263.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	473128
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

It definitely brings the crowds to Magic, especially on a pow day. I can say that the ownership group is 100% satisfied and happy to be on Indy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

you guys got some way of flying from terrace to juneau without having to make a stop in seattle or vancouver first? if I’m gonna go all the way up there on the indy pass I’d like to be able to make a stop at more than one place.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    It definitely brings the crowds to Magic, especially on a pow day. I can say that the ownership group is 100% satisfied and happy to be on Indy.

Wicked, thanks for chiming in August!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    you guys got some way of flying from terrace to juneau without having to make a stop in seattle or vancouver first? if I’m gonna go all the way up there on the indy pass I’d like to be able to make a stop at more than one place.
    Fraid not mate. I think there's a ferry that heads north from Rupert though...

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Great news for you all! I'm heading to Smithers in Jan, and plan to fly in/out of Terrace in order to hit a day or two at Shames. It's been on the list for a long time, psyched!

Indy helped me to ski Castle which had been on my list of places to ski for a long time. Man did I love that place. Fit right in and folks were so welcoming showing me around. Similarly Shames is one of the few NA resorts left that has a great appeal to visit. Seems like a hard place to reach so likely never will. Of course any resort with enough pitch is a blast on a powder day.

A relatively inexpensive Shames lift ticket is not enough to overcome travel time and travel costs, so I don't think an Indy Pass will have much of an impact on skier visits.

I've been very pleasantly surprised on Indy pass visits to find locals who just want to share their mountain. Definitely not the vibe I've gotten everywhere I've visited on the Ikon pass

Quote Originally Posted by kinkilla View Post
    I've been very pleasantly surprised on Indy pass visits to find locals who just want to share their mountain. Definitely not the vibe I've gotten everywhere I've visited on the Ikon pass
    I think your friendly/not friendly experience is a reflection of the success in driving skiers visits with Ikon vs Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post

Yeah its great. it turns the normal powder day 20 minute lines in to 40 minute lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Energy View Post
    Yeah its great. it turns the normal powder day 20 minute lines in to 40 minute lines.
    I didn't say I was happy about it.

The old model was unsustainable so we'll take the shitty 3 days a year to stay off NELSAP.

I'd venture to say that we remain years away from anything resembling actual lift lines and crowds up here in Northern BC so the Indy thing is a win for Shames. Hopefully it does indeed get more folks up here.

a little shames stoke
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

My home mountain (Cannon in NH) went on Indy. We rarely have lift lines but then we did on some of the best days. Management decided to make Indy blacked out on all weekends. I think that's not the norm, though. But know it's an option.
    Your mountain looks amazing. I wish you deep stable snow.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    a little shames stoke
    Powdork, buddy... While a northern BC shout out is always welcome, I have to correct you a bit. This blurb is about Hankin Evelyn. An amazing little touring area about an hour west of Smithers and 2 hours east of Terrace. While it should be a part of one's agenda if coming to visit Shames, it is a fair distance from our town (and Shames).

jhyatt, thanks for the info and the wishes for a deep and stable snowpack! Since we are only open 4 days a week anyway (exception being xmas break), I can safely say we would never have blackout days on our Indy pass.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Here is some Shames stoke however, brought to you by my friend Mattias.

https://fb.watch/oC02oL86yx/?mibextid=Nif5oz

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Thats cool the Hankin story finally got made, Brian told me Salomon still wanted the story and so it got made

The salomon freeskitv guys came here I'm gona say 8 yrs ago with 5 pro skiers , they shot all the back ground around town stuff but the snow sucked, one of the producers left switchback, covid, yada and so it seemed like the Hankin story would be the still-born ski movie

back then a journalist would blow into town pretty much every week to hit Hankin, hit HBM, hit Shames, maybe skeena cat and get a whole bunch of stories out of one plane ride. I sat in the back on many PU rides hearing the Hankin story so i thot i recognised that openning voice
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-28-2023 at 03:07 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Powdork, buddy... While a northern BC shout out is always welcome, I have to correct you a bit. This blurb is about Hankin Evelyn. An amazing little touring area about an hour west of Smithers and 2 hours east of Terrace. While it should be a part of one's agenda if coming to visit Shames, it is a fair distance from our town (and Shames).

jhyatt, thanks for the info and the wishes for a deep and stable snowpack! Since we are only open 4 days a week anyway (exception being xmas break), I can safely say we would never have blackout days on our Indy pass.
    from 7:27-9:10, was that not Shames and Shames sidecountry?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    from 7:27-9:10, was that not Shames and Shames sidecountry?
    Well I'll be godamned. It certainly is (nestled among the Hankin stoke). I stand corrected and apologies.
    And further to XXX'er's comments. It is fucking wonderful to see Brian Hall (the creator of Hankin-Evelyn) featured in a cool little movie. One of the most passionate and hardest working dudes in the ski world.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I ran into Jeff Thomas (where else) in a ski hill bar while he was shooting a toyota commercial bought me a beer and he said that story was the one that got away which he really regreted

yeah so the Bri guy was putting 1000 hrs a year of his own time into the Hankin project and then he stepped away, I think he knew thats how it would go

unfortunately you can't see the wonderful paint job I did in the Hankin lookout cuz of those fucking tea lights eh

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ills-1.7043016

so the local hill made the national news ^^ but not for anything good ... no snow

Question for the Terrace-area folk... What do you guys use up there for forecasting? OpenSnow seems waaaay high on forecasting (has forecasted multiple 40-60 inch storms) and waaay low on base (I hope) at 18 inches.
    Need a better source I think, thx!

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Question for the Terrace-area folk... What do you guys use up there for forecasting? OpenSnow seems waaaay high on forecasting (has forecasted multiple 40-60 inch storms) and waaay low on base (I hope) at 18 inches.
    Need a better source I think, thx!
    snowforecast for um snowforecasting - the mid mtn seems somewhat accurate
    avalanche canada for avi forecasting, trip planning, detailed weather

highways weather stations:
    kasiks high https://avalanche.ca/weather/stations/56
    kasiks low https://avalanche.ca/weather/stations/56

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Indy helped me to ski Castle which had been on my list of places to ski for a long time. Man did I love that place. Fit right in and folks were so welcoming showing me around.
    Same.
    Set waves, powder days