Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    21,173

    PSA Shimano crank recall

    Shimano recalled a bunch of road cranks - details:

    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Sh...o-Crash-Hazard

    Not sure how useful a bike shop inspection is going to be. I'm pretty sure I can look for separation or cracks as well as a shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,043
    I never thot a crank arm was a good place for CF and even less so smacking crank arms on rocks cuz of lower BB's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    21,173
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I never thot a crank arm was a good place for CF and even less so smacking crank arms on rocks cuz of lower BB's
    None of the recalled cranks are carbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,774
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I never thot a crank arm was a good place for CF and even less so smacking crank arms on rocks cuz of lower BB's
    spend a lot of time riding road bike through rocks?

    680,000 crank sets is no small number
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

    www.theguideshut.ca

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,043
    people wana put em on mtn bikes, even 52 lb full power E bikes where it probably doesnt matter

    i did scan it, made an assumption but tell me do you read every link you see ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    35,451
    Ummm…ok, post THEN smoke crack.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,043
    its the breakfast beer eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    14,731
    XXX-er is getting as bad as riser


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montpelier, VT
    Posts
    277
    I had one of these cranks (ultegra 6800 I think) fail/delaminate on me during a ride several years ago, and in order to get home, I had to pedal 25ish miles with just my left leg, while the driveside was simply a place to rest my foot. Any force applied on that side caused the crankarm to separate further from the spider. Standing up was not an option.
    Name:  image0 (6).jpeg
Views: 249
Size:  118.6 KB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,774
    Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    I had one of these cranks (ultegra 6800 I think) fail/delaminate on me during a ride several years ago, and in order to get home, I had to pedal 25ish miles with just my left leg, while the driveside was simply a place to rest my foot. Any force applied on that side caused the crankarm to separate further from the spider. Standing up was not an option.
    Name:  image0 (6).jpeg
Views: 249
Size:  118.6 KB
    Are you using axle grease as chain lube? Your cranks probably broke just to protest the amount of gunk on your drivetrain.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

    www.theguideshut.ca

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    21,173
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Are you using axle grease as chain lube? Your cranks probably broke just to protest the amount of gunk on your drivetrain.
    Name checks out.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,774
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

    www.theguideshut.ca

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    21,173
    Shimano's guide to inspecting the cranks -- what they want bike shops to do, or you can look at them yourself:
    https://si.shimano.com/en/dm/RAFC012
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •