Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 138
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    11,133

    Guerilla Gravity going out of business?

    All signs pointing to Yes. Bummer.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,471
    Hope not. I've really liked the two bikes that I've bought from them. Only carbon pressed bikes made in the US that I know of. Seemed to be a good selling point. Maybe they grew too fast lately.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    13,708
    That's a huge bummer.

    My understanding is that the "revved" stuff with the thermoplastic tech is actually an independent business under the same roof. I know they put in a lot of money and had some pretty big grants to develop the revved stuff. So I wonder if this is one of those things where the tech is profitable but the bikes are not, so maybe they'll continue making products for other applications.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snowmass
    Posts
    568
    I sure hope not, but been hearing these rumors for months now. Wish they weren't sold out of hardware spares, I'd hate to lose the ability to keep riding my Smash.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,684
    I put something up in the pros coset thread last week, but probably sI hould have made a Pandemic Bike Boom Recoil thread.

    All signs point to it being over for GG, at least as we know it.

    This is in their website timeline and likely the fatal move...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-02 001813.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	469093

    It was eye-opening being at the OEM level from 2020-2022, very happy I jumped shipped last August. Bummed for all of those that are going to lose jobs or have lost jobs.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    135
    Ibis has a factory in Santa Cruz but to my knowledge they're only making their Exie XC frame there. And they still over a made in Vietnam version for that frame.

    Bummer that GG threw in the towel. I can't imagine they'll be the last...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post

    Bummer that GG threw in the towel. I can't imagine they'll be the last...
    As Waxman said in the Pros Closet thread I think some of the smaller companies falsely perceived an increase in market share because they sold any bike they could get salable. Rainy Day funds were ignored, and spending increased. I get it, everyone wants a piece of the dream and it sucks to miss out.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    10,244
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Central Valley
    Posts
    3,045
    Well shoot. No wonder I was able to get my bike for a such a good price.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    35,222
    I am pretty sure they are under orders to keep it zipped, but this is from Matt.

    Name:  BD7C4B64-499B-4E02-8040-AAB968455576.png
Views: 1284
Size:  38.7 KB
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    86
    really a bummer, wonder what company will be next. i can't imagine how smaller brands could handle the pandemic+overstock


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North,NorthEast
    Posts
    3,530
    Doesn’t seem very zipped

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    15,662
    Thats a shame. They had almost a perfect product.Tough go in the industry these days. Many more to follow id guess. With a little cash flow there'll probably be some outstaning deals this fall/winter

    Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearNachos21 View Post
    really a bummer, wonder what company will be next. i can't imagine how smaller brands could handle the pandemic+overstock


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man, there's so many small brands out there that you never actually see on the trails anymore, they're always on sale at Jenson/Competitive Cyclist/WWC/etc. and you've got to wonder how they're in business. Some of these I've seen fewer of in the wild than I saw GGs other than mine.
    Kona
    Eminent
    Alchemy
    Intense
    Niner
    Salsa
    Evil
    Mondraker

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    8,262
    Kona is a small brand?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Kona is a small brand?
    They are now, judging by the total lack of new bikes of theirs out there and their disappearance from professional racing. I've seen one new Kona in the last few years, and it's owned by a local teenage enduro racer who presumably got it on sale.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,607
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Kona is a small brand?
    Well...now they're just another hedge fund brand waiting for an opening at Dick's.

    A shame...as my Hei Hei is just a fantastic bike.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    35,222
    Curious thing about Kona here in JH, they opened up dealerships to about anyone, and most are not stocking any retail bikes. (Mostly rentals). There are at least four and possibly five in Teton County, wy, and two in Teton Valley, IIRC.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    13,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Man, there's so many small brands out there that you never actually see on the trails anymore, they're always on sale at Jenson/Competitive Cyclist/WWC/etc. and you've got to wonder how they're in business. Some of these I've seen fewer of in the wild than I saw GGs other than mine.
    Kona
    Eminent
    Alchemy
    Intense
    Niner
    Salsa
    Evil
    Mondraker
    Salsa's owned by QBP. I suspect they still do alright in various non-mountain biking segments. It's been 10 years since Salsa really seemed like they cared about traditional mountain bikes.

    I'd bet Mondraker is still doing fine in Europe. Their North American presence always felt a bit tenuous.

    Niner feels like they got a bit out of their depth when they started trying to make enduro-y bikes. But I bet they could scale back to their roots in hardtails and short travel things and survive.

    Kona's business model for the last 20 years (pretty much ever since their magic link disaster) has been to sit on their heels, don't make waves, and don't make big changes to the lineup. While that means their bikes haven't been all that interesting nor have they been flying off the shelves, I suspect it also means they didn't over extend themselves in the pandemic rush.

    I still see Evils around. If having to warranty every single frame they produced for a year or two didn't crush the brand, I'm inclined to think that nothing else will either.

    Intense has been on life support for years. Sooner or later, the moto guys that own it are gonna get bored and pull the plug. Although they did just get on the second step of the world cup podium, so at least there's that (go Dak!).

    I think Alchemy gets some business from their made-in-the-U.S. semi custom road bike side of things. Roadies pay stupid money for stupid things, so maybe that's enough to keep them afloat.

    I have no idea how Eminent is still in business. My guess is their ongoing existence can be chalked up solely to the deep pockets of the ownership. They can't have sold more than 7 or 8 of those butt ugly atrocities.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    22,400
    Damn, that fucking sucks. My Trail Pistola is amazing. Maybe I should order a bearing kit now for the future?
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hyperspace!
    Posts
    1,367
    Pistola Frame Bearings:
    Main pivot: 6903 Max
    Rocker pivot: 6901 Max
    Seatstay to rocker: 6900
    Seatstay to chainstay: 6901 SM Max

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Salsa's owned by QBP. I suspect they still do alright in various non-mountain biking segments. It's been 10 years since Salsa really seemed like they cared about traditional mountain bikes.

    I'd bet Mondraker is still doing fine in Europe. Their North American presence always felt a bit tenuous.

    Niner feels like they got a bit out of their depth when they started trying to make enduro-y bikes. But I bet they could scale back to their roots in hardtails and short travel things and survive.

    Kona's business model for the last 20 years (pretty much ever since their magic link disaster) has been to sit on their heels, don't make waves, and don't make big changes to the lineup. While that means their bikes haven't been all that interesting nor have they been flying off the shelves, I suspect it also means they didn't over extend themselves in the pandemic rush.

    I still see Evils around. If having to warranty every single frame they produced for a year or two didn't crush the brand, I'm inclined to think that nothing else will either.

    Intense has been on life support for years. Sooner or later, the moto guys that own it are gonna get bored and pull the plug. Although they did just get on the second step of the world cup podium, so at least there's that (go Dak!).

    I think Alchemy gets some business from their made-in-the-U.S. semi custom road bike side of things. Roadies pay stupid money for stupid things, so maybe that's enough to keep them afloat.

    I have no idea how Eminent is still in business. My guess is their ongoing existence can be chalked up solely to the deep pockets of the ownership. They can't have sold more than 7 or 8 of those butt ugly atrocities.
    That's a pretty good summary. I would bet that in some regions there are brands that are prevalent (Kona maybe in western Canada?).
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

    www.theguideshut.ca

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,630
    Bummer about GG. I’ve only ever seen three in person here on the east coast and one was Bagtagley’s. I see a decent number of Kona bikes around even though I can’t say I know any active dealers around me. The process series were reasonably cutting edge when they were released.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    30,746
    I think popularity is somewhat area specific, localy in western Canada I see a lot of norco/ kona/ rocky

    and a whole bunch of SC which is of course not western Canada

    the north shore in Vangroovy was the birthplace of freeride
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,917
    The thing with a lot of those brands on that list is that they don't make their bikes themselves, like GG did. So presumably they bought at least their normal amount of frames & components from their Asian manufacturers during 2020/21/22 (if not more like everyone else), and now the market is totally flooded. Best case scenario, they ordered normal quantity so their oversupply and consequent loss isn't as big, but it's still a loss. I mean, I guess some of the loss will be passed on to whichever retail vendors they have, but they've still got to be sitting on a lot of inventory they haven't yet sold to vendors that they already paid the Asian manufacturers for.

    I work for a large construction subcontractor, and while we're slow, we're keeping our guys busy maintaining equipment and building tools. So while cashflow is not great now, that money's at least going towards something that will be useful when things pick up again. With the case of a lot of these bike companies, they paid a bunch of money for inventory that's not selling now and will be worth even less a year from now. And on top of that, they still have to pay for all their overhead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •