Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 866
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    13,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    <snip>

    Michele knows a bunch of shops within a 5 minute drive from their hotel from which maggots over the years have rented everything from skis to avy gear. It's not remote.
    Beat me to it. I was going to say it may *look* remote on a map, but it's Switzerland, so it is wholly civilized.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    Folks, I am the +1 with Danno. I am in Spain with zero gear or access to gear. I will need everything from helmet, gloves, skis, boots, poles, avy gear and pack. Is this possible in the remote location of this lodge?
    What’s your sizing? I may have some stuff if you’re joining the Klosters leg.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    27,832
    A few of us are going to do a "Klosters leg" February 27-March 1 just before the main BBI March 1-10 at MountainLodge Sedrun.

    Davos/Klosters including Reinerhorn (1.454 - 2.490m), Jakobshorn (1.540 - 2.590m), Davos Klosters Parsenn (810 - 2.844m) and the single tram ungroomed Davos Pischa (1.800 - 2.483m) which are connected by train (or a 5chf bus for Pischa), but are not generally interskaible, is a fantastic stash of pow. It's mostly thought of as a glitzy royals groomer locale, but the sidecountry is fantastic, especially if you're willing to skin a little.

    https://www.bergfex.com/davos-pischa/
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    32,546
    Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    Folks, I am the +1 with Danno.
    Name:  yess-yes.gif
Views: 405
Size:  264.1 KB
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    A few of us are going to do a "Klosters leg" February 27-March 1 just before the main BBI March 1-10 at MountainLodge Sedrun.

    Davos/Klosters including Reinerhorn (1.454 - 2.490m), Jakobshorn (1.540 - 2.590m), Davos Klosters Parsenn (810 - 2.844m) and the single tram ungroomed Davos Pischa (1.800 - 2.483m) which are connected by train (or a 5chf bus for Pischa), but are not generally interskaible, is a fantastic stash of pow. It's mostly thought of as a glitzy royals groomer locale, but the sidecountry is fantastic, especially if you're willing to skin a little.

    https://www.bergfex.com/davos-pischa/
    I'm not able to join the group but am curious where you will stay in Klosters. Thanks

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    I'm not able to join the group but am curious where you will stay in Klosters. Thanks
    The Wynegg. Just a short walk from the tram.

    https://wynegg.ch

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    prb
    Posts
    1,415
    I am straight medium, thanks for the offer!
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    I am straight medium, thanks for the offer!
    I’ve got insulated pants and jacket that should work. If you feel strongly about preferring shells rather than insulated, would be a Norrona large in which you will likely swim (and they’re pretty tattered). Given you’re starting from nothing, insulated probably easier anyways?

    If you don’t mind my 5 yo hand sweat, have some old gloves you can use. Can dig up an old pair of goggles too. Ski socks you’re on your own as the only ones without holes get rotated into service too frequently.

    Helmet, skis, poles, boots, avy gear are all rentable.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    7,181
    Yeah Michele told me it's easy to rent touring skis and skins. That's an option I'm considering if I end up doing the Oberalpstock. Anybody planning to do that? Conditions dependent of course. Would a guide be a good idea for that?

    Also considering going the Dukes PT route so I have the touring option, but that would be expensive.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    27,832
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah Michele told me it's easy to rent touring skis and skins. That's an option I'm considering if I end up doing the Oberalpstock. Anybody planning to do that? Conditions dependent of course. Would a guide be a good idea for that?

    Also considering going the Dukes PT route so I have the touring option, but that would be expensive.
    Guide on the Oberalpstock is highly recommended, the exit strategy is a little tricky. I could be talked into doing it again. I promise not to summit again.

    Via ferrata en route to the Oberalpstock:



    The middle pitch of the Oberalpstock. Note the maggots up high.



    Looking down from the middle pitch, only 6k more vertical feet to go:



    Map of Oberalpstock routes:



    The St. Moritz porn is worthy too.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-15-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    32,546
    FKNA that looks tasty. How much skinning/climbing for a fatass is that?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    6,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    FKNA that looks tasty. How much skinning/climbing for a fatass is that?
    like maybe 300M of up? Traverse, short down and short up and then (unless one detours to the Summit as Buster mentioned) a whole lot of down.

    edit: 5.5K of Gondi, chair, chair, and tbar to start.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah Michele told me it's easy to rent touring skis and skins. That's an option I'm considering if I end up doing the Oberalpstock. Anybody planning to do that? Conditions dependent of course. Would a guide be a good idea for that?

    Also considering going the Dukes PT route so I have the touring option, but that would be expensive.
    The skis I demoed last time had PT's on them. Shouldn't be too hard to find whatever ya want there.


    And I could be persuaded to do the oberalpstock.
    The via ferrata looks fun. The dude behind Buster palming his scissoring skis looks funny.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    27,832
    I am King of the Slowest on the Skintrack and my crown shall not be threatened.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    13,443
    Where do those Oberalpstock descents go? North side of the mountain?

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    27,832
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Where do those Oberalpstock descents go? North side of the mountain?
    https://map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=schn...7825.24&zoom=6

    We took the blue dotted line from the top on the right down to Alp Stossi and skied along the river until about Rueteli, then walked to a taxi at Schattigberg.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Where do those Oberalpstock descents go? North side of the mountain?

    You gonna join us? C'mon mag...

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    9,865
    Y’all best ski Piz Mahler. Next time I go back it is numero uno on my list.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    13,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    You gonna join us? C'mon mag...
    Not gonna be able to make it next spring, but I'm kinda hoping to talk the wife into a Swiss ski trip the following year...

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    27,832
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Y’all best ski Piz Mahler. Next time I go back it is numero uno on my list.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You gotta lead us, I'm tired of this shit.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,545
    Ha...that's almost the motivation I need.

    You know how I'd do! Send it into the abyss on limited beta from the bar last night and a photo from the guide book.

    You can only run it blind once! All you need is a healthy sense of adventure, a couple rollies, a wry smile and an unbreakable spirit!

    Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    27,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Ha...that's almost the motivation I need.

    You know how I'd do! Send it into the abyss on limited beta from the bar last night and a photo from the guide book.

    You can only run it blind once! All you need is a healthy sense of adventure, a couple rollies, a wry smile and an unbreakable spirit!

    Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse
    C'mon J, this place rocks. I'll send you the itinerary if you're interested.

    https://map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=schn...8794.17&zoom=6

    To do Piz Maler , ride the little private tram from Camischolas to Tgom at 1912, then skin up to Piz Mahler and drop the routes on the North side.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Y’all best ski Piz Mahler. Next time I go back it is numero uno on my list.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I’m pretty sure a couple mags did it in 2022. Maybe ZZZ or Zeebo if I remember correctly.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,545
    Ohh...I've got the itinerary. I just can't commit at this point in time. I do like goals. Keeps me motivated.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW -> MSO
    Posts
    7,834
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Where do those Oberalpstock descents go? North side of the mountain?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •