Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 825 of 1093
  1. #801
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    O+Positive
    Posts
    2,898
    Liberty= Jerry Falwell University

    Used to play against them in club hockey. Dirtiest MFers in our league.
    Montani Semper Liberi

  2. #802
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    14,000
    One of those teams already lost to one of those other teams this season.. at their own field. FSU didn't lose to anybody anywhere. Totally screwed.. Should be Michigan vs FSU and TX Vs WA..

    But like I already said .. SEC Homers gotta SEC Homer..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  3. #803
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Splat's Garage
    Posts
    4,169
    Michigan looked pretty scared when they announced Bama as their opponent.

    How did Michigan do last year against TCU?

  4. #804
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    34,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Michigan looked pretty scared when they announced Bama as their opponent.

    How did Michigan do last year against TCU?
    6 point loss that was a 2 way boat race.

    Bama is not a good match up but I like it as the B1G tends to play well in bowl games against SEC schools.
    I still call it The Jake.

  5. #805
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    9,038
    I hope Michigan buries Bama.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  6. #806
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    22,933
    Why donít they just pick the national champion by vote in august and let the student athletes study?

  7. #807
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    14,000
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why don’t they just pick the national champion by vote in august and let the student athletes study?
    Would they have to take 12 hours to be full time then? Right now they are considered full time at 9 hours during the fall semesters..

    That's not a serious question.. and neither are some of their "classes".
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  8. #808
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    14,000
    Now is the time for all the boomer rage about top players sitting out bowls that don't matter. Will Bo Nix show up and risk injury to play.. Liberty? Probably not.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  9. #809
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why donít they just pick the national champion by vote in august and let the student athletes study?
    Exactly. This eye test bullshit just pisses me off. And I have nothing but dislike for FSU and their stupid tomahawk chop. This is all about the talking heads at ESPN constantly hyping the SEC, with whom they have a vested business interest. Most egregious decision Iíve seen in cfb. Worse than sending a Nebraska team that lost their conference championship game to the bcs final against Miami after getting throttled by Colorado in big 12 championship (and that kept the Ducks from playing Miami, but they did beat Colorado in the Fiesta). Bama hasnít been a dominant team this year by any means. ESPN just needs the champion their conference in the playoff. Sabe everybody the time and let Finebaum, Herbie and Reese set the playoff in August. What an absolute farce, games donít matter


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  10. #810
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Driving2VT
    Posts
    4,561
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Yes, Florida State is without starting QB Jordan Travis, meaning it would have to play with a quarterback who wasn't its opening-week starter in order to win a national title, and of course that couldn't happen. After all, only 2014 Ohio State, 2017 Alabama, 2018 Clemson and 2021 Georgia did that. What are the odds that something that's happened 44% of the time would happen again?

    And sure, FSU's passing game was a mess in the ACC championship game. No argument there. Funny thing though: FSU won its title game by more than Alabama did. In fact, FSU has won its past two games by more than Alabama has. And since Travis got hurt in Week 12 against North Alabama, the Seminoles have thrown for just 8 fewer yards than Michigan has in that same stretch, but there was no debate about Michigan.

    Oh, and this is probably irrelevant in the face of such a poor quarterback performance against Louisville, but there's also the small matter that the QB who started that game, Brock Glenn, wouldn't be the QB starting a playoff game (since Tate Rodemaker would be out of concussion protocol by then).

    The committee cared about one stat when making this decision: FSU's 55 passing yards against Louisville.

    Here are the stats it ignored: Seven sacks, 14 tackles for loss, 10 passes defended, 189 rushing yards against a stacked box, a 10-point win over a top-15 team with a QB making his first career start.

    Let's be real about what happened here: The committee members couldn't leave the SEC out of the playoff. They didn't care that Alabama needed a miracle to avoid a loss to 6-6 Auburn two weeks ago. They didn't care that Georgia's own injuries -- playing with a banged-up Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers -- likely played a large part in why the Tide won Saturday. They didn't care that the ACC has a winning record, head-to-head, against the SEC this season. They didn't care that Alabama beat 2023 Georgia, not 2021 or 2022 Georgia. They cared that Alabama and the SEC had to have a spot in the playoff by birthright. And as a result, they sent a message that what happened on the field -- the blood, tears and sacrifice that players made all season to win every game on their schedule -- was less important than getting the most compelling TV matchup.

    From ESPN and I agree with it. Bama in the playoff is a complete sham.
    I agree with all of this but surmise that all the angst about FSU getting fucked, which they did, will dissipate when Georgia hammers them in the Orange Bowl. I was convinced it would be FSU, MI, WA and TX. Little do I know.
    Uno mas

  11. #811
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    34,873
    The more I think about it the more altacoups’ posts ring true. What an embarrassment for the committee that is accountable to no one.
    I still call it The Jake.

  12. #812
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    4,832
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The more I think about it the more altacoups’ posts ring true. What an embarrassment for the committee that is accountable to no one.
    X 1000000

  13. #813
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    4,832
    And btw the Legend knew, back in 2017:


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

  14. #814
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    4,832
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

  15. #815
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,166
    Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Liberty= Jerry Falwell University

    Used to play against them in club hockey. Dirtiest MFers in our league.
    On the field and off.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  16. #816
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    9,038
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Goddamn I miss Mike Leach.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  17. #817
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    1,336
    I donít know how they picked Texas over FSU. Maybe a play to encourage stronger strength of schedule? Itís all moot next year when they go to 8 teams. Should have rewarded the undefeated team IMO.

  18. #818
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,710
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I donít know how they picked Texas over FSU. Maybe a play to encourage stronger strength of schedule? Itís all moot next year when they go to 8 teams. Should have rewarded the undefeated team IMO.
    It's not about Texas over FSU, it's about picking Bama over FSU. They couldn't really take FSU and Bama, leaving Texas out since Texas beat Bama earlier in the season.

    And next year is 12, not 8.

  19. #819
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,829
    This team is Nick Saban's best coaching job at Alabama, and probably his most fun/rewarding. the team is exceeding expectations, and his young/inexperienced players are maturing and gaining confidence game by game, and they have had more close and exciting games this year than in any year prior, and now they went an beat Kirby and UGA. It has to be a fun experience for saban who has probably lost a little juice over the years always being the favorite and trying to live up to the impossibly high expectations year in and year out... not this year when everyone has been down on alabama.

    All that said, i didnt see a reality where alabama was in the CFP. I saw one where UGA got in over FSU, because of UGAs resume and the old adage of "you gotta knock out the champ, you can't outpoint them" being applied here. I simply do not see how or why Alabama or Texas made it in, but FSU did not... unless the CFP really penalized FSU for their QB situation.



    At the end of the day though, no one, and i mean no one thought FSU was a top 2 team- that distinction belongs to Michigan and Washington. So, if this was the BCS still, FSU would have zero argument and would be happy to play in the sugar bowl where they will get 60pts hung on them and only score 10 against a very pissed off UGA team.

  20. #820
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    17,441
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    This team is Nick Saban's best coaching job at Alabama, and probably his most fun/rewarding. the team is exceeding expectations, and his young/inexperienced players are maturing and gaining confidence game by game, and they have had more close and exciting games this year than in any year prior, and now they went an beat Kirby and UGA. It has to be a fun experience for saban who has probably lost a little juice over the years always being the favorite and trying to live up to the impossibly high expectations year in and year out... not this year when everyone has been down on alabama.

    All that said, i didnt see a reality where alabama was in the CFP. I saw one where UGA got in over FSU, because of UGAs resume and the old adage of "you gotta knock out the champ, you can't outpoint them" being applied here. I simply do not see how or why Alabama or Texas made it in, but FSU did not... unless the CFP really penalized FSU for their QB situation.



    At the end of the day though, no one, and i mean no one thought FSU was a top 2 team- that distinction belongs to Michigan and Washington. So, if this was the BCS still, FSU would have zero argument and would be happy to play in the sugar bowl where they will get 60pts hung on them and only score 10 against a very pissed off UGA team.
    Sure, that's probably the outcome but FSU should be in if the regular season means anything. SEC should've been left out this year. It's happened to the PAC12 multiple times and no one bats an eye.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  21. #821
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    34,873
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Goddamn I miss Mike Leach.
    The guy gave the best soundbites.

    Easy explanation of why FSU is out and Bama is in is (not mine, but heard on the way into the office):

    Who owns the Playoff?
    Who owns the broadcast rights to the bowls?
    Who owns the broadcast rights to the Playoff?
    Who owns the SEC network?

    Who's gonna love seeing nothing but Stephen A and Nick Saban for the next 30 days?

    ESPN.

    The SEC was never going to be left out.
    W
    I still call it The Jake.

  22. #822
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3,563
    The committee got it right. I was shocked that they had the balls to do it, but they got it right.

    As Kirby Smart pointed out, the charter is to select the four best teams, not the most deserving. And one of the key guidelines is to factor in the effect that injuries to key players have on the ability of a team to perform at the end of the season. This guideline wasnít added after Travis broke his leg, it has been there from many seasons past - maybe from the beginning?

    The FSU team that played the last 2 games are clearly nowhere near the same level as the team that won the first 11 games. Even if you discount the last game, the ACC title game, because they played their third string QB, if you go back to the Florida - FSU game that Rodemaker started in, that was against a team that went 5-7. Florida was beating them until their key DT got ejected for spitting. Later another key player got ejected for targeting. Florida essentially handed FSU that game with poor decisions that resulted in penalties and ejections.

    FSU squeaked by in that game, but you have to ask yourself, honestly, how would that same FSU team fair against Michigan, or Alabama, or Georgia, instead of a 5-7 Florida team? Of course theyíd get trounced! Maybe not with a healthy QB1, but unfortunately thatís not the case.

    Does it serve any positive purpose to give Michigan a walkover in the semifinal game? For Michigan, maybe, but not for deciding what is the best team in the country. Do we really need to see another repeat of the Georgia - TCU slaughter from last year? It would be a very similar game.

  23. #823
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,829
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Does it serve any positive purpose to give Michigan a walkover in the semifinal game? For Michigan, maybe, but not for deciding what is the best team in the country. Do we really need to see another repeat of the Georgia - TCU slaughter from last year? It would be a very similar game.
    TCU won its semifinal game after it being argued they had no business in the playoff and is the main argument for putting FSU in. And ironically we likely will see a repeat of that slaughter when UGA plays FSU in their bowl game. My issue is that i think UT and FSU are tied for the 4th spot and i think you have give the tiebreak to the undefeated team. I am really not high at all on Texas.


    I think this CFP will make for some really great games and i for one am super excited to watch.

  24. #824
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    9,038
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The committee got it right. I was shocked that they had the balls to do it, but they got it right.

    As Kirby Smart pointed out, the charter is to select the four best teams, not the most deserving. And one of the key guidelines is to factor in the effect that injuries to key players have on the ability of a team to perform at the end of the season. This guideline wasnít added after Travis broke his leg, it has been there from many seasons past - maybe from the beginning?

    The FSU team that played the last 2 games are clearly nowhere near the same level as the team that won the first 11 games. Even if you discount the last game, the ACC title game, because they played their third string QB, if you go back to the Florida - FSU game that Rodemaker started in, that was against a team that went 5-7. Florida was beating them until their key DT got ejected for spitting. Later another key player got ejected for targeting. Florida essentially handed FSU that game with poor decisions that resulted in penalties and ejections.

    FSU squeaked by in that game, but you have to ask yourself, honestly, how would that same FSU team fair against Michigan, or Alabama, or Georgia, instead of a 5-7 Florida team? Of course theyíd get trounced! Maybe not with a healthy QB1, but unfortunately thatís not the case.

    Does it serve any positive purpose to give Michigan a walkover in the semifinal game? For Michigan, maybe, but not for deciding what is the best team in the country. Do we really need to see another repeat of the Georgia - TCU slaughter from last year? It would be a very similar game.
    Did you actually watch the FSU/FL game? Because it wasn't decided by penalties or ejections.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  25. #825
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,644
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    TCU won its semifinal game after it being argued they had no business in the playoff and is the main argument for putting FSU in. And ironically we likely will see a repeat of that slaughter when UGA plays FSU in their bowl game. My issue is that i think UT and FSU are tied for the 4th spot and i think you have give the tiebreak to the undefeated team. I am really not high at all on Texas.


    I think this CFP will make for some really great games and i for one am super excited to watch.
    I don't see how anyone can argue with a straight face that Alabama should be in over Texas. That was already settled on the field. Yes it was in September and yes Alabama has been improving, but they lost to Texas and should never be in over them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •