Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipflation?!?!

On the flip side, I recently REWARDED my usual barista at my favorite coffee shop I go to sometimes by my kids school. I noticed that in probably the couple dozen times she served me (both drive-thru and walk-in), she would literally hit skip on the tipping part and never mentioned it, never said the now typical "the screen's gonna ask you a couple questions," nothing. She was always above and beyond cheerful, provided excellent service, and seemed to go out of her way to not request tips. I'd usually toss a dollar in the tip jar anyway, but I appreciated her approach so much I slipped her a 20 last time I saw her and thanked her for her always outstanding attitude and quality service.

THAT'S how it's done, service workers!

I don't get the whole "tip your barista" thing. Last time I checked I was paying for a fucking coffee, not your labor wages.

Same shit goes for sandwich shops/delis in town. I'm purchasing a sandwich, I'm not paying for you to make the sandwich, that's your boss's job.

Forced tipping

That's what happened to me
    Ordered a pie from Papa Murphy's, clicked place order without scrolling to the bottom of the page, they conveniently have the 15% tip box pre-checked

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Forced tipping

That's what happened to me
    Ordered a pie from Papa Murphy's, clicked place order without scrolling to the bottom of the page, they conveniently have the 15% tip box pre-checked
    And if you uncheck it somebody is going to spit on your pizza

If there is a mandatory service charge I assume that's going to the server or to the server and back of the house and I wouldn't tip. (None of the places I eat at have that though.) It's not my job to figure out if the service charge is going to the boss or the workers. Otherwise I tip a standard 20-25% regardless of the level of service (higher percentage for cheaper meals). I just figure that's part of the cost of eating out. As far as tipping for takeout, etc--given the cost of living here I tip pretty liberally if there's any work done to prepare an order or do a service for me. I draw the line at tipping the checkout at the little market--just ringing up my stuff doesn't get a tip. I tip delivery people who do more than drop off a box at the door--like the guy who carried my TV up two flights of stairs.

Unless a service charge is tacked on to the bill, nobody is making you pay it. If that makes you uncomfortable or feeling guilty that's on you.

I would love it if we got rid of tipping and paid service workers a living wage. I'd love it if gardenias came out of my ass instead of shit but neither is happening any time soon.

I like the boxes on ebills I can check to select a tip. My ancient brain is getting bad at math in my head. Probably saves me money since otherwise I would be rounding up to a whole dollar amount.

This thread was the logical dichotomy from the homeless in America thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Was very happy to eat at a place the other night that doesn't do tips--they pay significantly more than other restaurants so their workers don't need to be dependent on tips.
    We have a pizza place that did the same, and the owner made a big deal about living wages, price transparency, etc. One day the tip option popped up on the ipad. Take a guess if the prices went down.

There should be some extra options on the tip page.
    Tip Your Server?
    Deduct 10% of Bill from The Owner’s Pay?
    Tip The Dishwashers?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    That's an impressive trick. The only zip code trivia I know is that both the highest and lowest are in Alaska.
    zip code man is amazeballs. That he managed to create a very successful busker gig all because he's some weird kind of savant is weird and cool.

I guess NPR did a thing on him almost 20 years ago: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=4809365 And if you google zip code man there are also youtube videos.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Person of savantness.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There should be some extra options on the tip page.
    Tip Your Server?
    Deduct 10% of Bill from The Owner’s Pay?
    Tip The Dishwashers?
    Secret Stash in CB does this with a great little tip the line cooks schtick that I like.
    Live Free or Die

We had a guy who would ask your birthday, then tell you what day of the week it was. He was obviously using the doomsday algorithm, but the speed at which he could do it was amazing. And he would always remember- to the point where he'd see someone years later and blurt out "Dan! born on a Wednesday!"

Restaurant owner said to me the other day labor costs are out of control, I said " you all paying yourselves too much again?"

How has this not been posted yet?

I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

And furthermore, WTF is with the request to give to an organization I have never heard of when I check out at the grocery store? If it was the local Food Bank? Sure I will donate 10% of what I spent, otherwise.
    I always tip the "anal afficionados of America."

Or "save the satanists."

Actually, if I had a Restaurant, I'd register those Organisations.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I posted this in another thread but it's worth repeating.

My local dump has a tip jar now. Just some dude telling you much it costs to throw your shit away feels the need to be tipped. What the fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    The mandatory 20% service charge places are the worst though - just mark up all the food prices by 20%.
    People often say this but it doesn't seem to work out in practice. A place we used to frequent in Baltimore went to all service charge, no tip model with a full house tip share. The dishwasher to lead waiters were all making ~$25 an hour. I am super down with that. They had a steak on the menu for $68 and people freaked out. But that $68 steak included a 22% markup, it even said so on the menu. People don't bother to read.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I don't get the whole "tip your barista" thing. Last time I checked I was paying for a fucking coffee, not your labor wages.
    IMO, a barista serves a similar purpose as a bartender just at the beginning of the day. Fuck tipping at any big corp but at a local place I am happy to add a dollar per drink.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    How has this not been posted yet?

Was wondering when that would show up.

My man buzz is Mr Pink.

I am this guy

I have worked in the hospitality/service industry since the mid 90s. Most of my friends & roommates lived on tips.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Or... you know... vacation in Europe where you don't need to deal with this utter horseshit of a system.
    You finally off your holiday tip?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Same shit goes for sandwich shops/delis in town. I'm purchasing a sandwich, I'm not paying for you to make the sandwich, that's your boss's job.
    Um... I think that kinda works out in the wash.. no?

Listen, I'd love to see service industry wages go up and we do away with tipping, but if someone is taking my order, making me a sandwich, and ringing me up.. They're likely in the bucket of service industry folks I'll tip.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Tipflation?!?!

Another reason the ENTIRE tip economy model is bullshit is that allows shit like this to be pulled on workers that have no recourse

Edit stupid Fake50forJesusnwontnattach
    Last edited by mcski; 06-09-2023 at 07:22 PM.

I don't like the whole tip economy and the expectation of tipping. But while I'm not wealthy, I can afford to throw a couple of bucks to the sandwich artist, so I do.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I have worked in the hospitality/service industry since the mid 90s. Most of my friends & roommates lived on tips.

I've been online almost that long, and every tip conversation that I've read went mostly the same, so I always just observed and never commented.

I would wager most mag's tip at least average if not above.

But I think you can acknowledge that tipping, gratuities and service charges changed dramatically post apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Um... I think that kinda works out in the wash.. no?

Listen, I'd love to see service industry wages go up and we do away with tipping, but if someone is taking my order, making me a sandwich, and ringing me up.. They're likely in the bucket of service industry folks I'll tip.
    Yea I tip em like everybody else, despite the fact that it's stupid.

As has been mentioned, tipping up front is asinine. How does sandwich guy know how much I tipped? Does the cashier radio back to the kitchen? If I leave him a fat 30% tip at the register does he make my sandwich any better? No.

Do you tip at McDonalds or other fast food places? Why not?

My tipping is 10% at local small biz order at counter, 15% order at counter and my food and drinks are delivered to my table and they clean it up, 20% full service.

There is a thai place down the street that brings a handheld device at the end of the meal with no itemization, just a total amount and they stare at you while you pay. Since there are usually at least five of us and we order a lot, it's annoying as hell. Of course, qr codes for menus too..